Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-26-2010, 17:54   #1
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Wrist slapped by corporate IT for syncing iPad?

Okay, so we got a very nasty email from my company's IT guy. And the guy is a big enough prick that he will make up and/or blame others for his mistakes. The problem is, I'm not savvy enough on MS Exchange to call him out if he's BS'ing. I'm the only one with an iPad, however there are several people who are connected to the corporate Exchange server via iPhone.
Is there enough info in his email (below) to confirm or deny a BS alert?

The Exchange server has crashed twice in the past week and during the investigation we discovered that the failure was caused due to excessive log files being created because you are synching your I-Pad with your company e-mail.
You must stop this IMMEDIATELY. The I-Pad is an unsupported device and it was connected to the network (via Exchange) without the advice or consent of IT.

Any and all info and advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by airmotive; 05-26-2010 at 17:54..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 18:26   #2
Furant

I wish I could tell you. The only thing I can tell you is: don't get into a pissing match with your company's IT guy.

Joey
Furant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 18:27   #3
GenX

Send a message via Yahoo to GenX
Ask him to prove it. Then tell him to kiss your ass.
GenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 20:02   #4
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX View Post
Ask him to prove it. Then tell him to kiss your ass.
And you will be fired and walked out the door!
What is your IT policy on the iPAD? Do you have one?

I have to tell you as a network admin I get pretty pissed off and sick of all the junk people try to connect to my network.

Did you ASK the IT guy first about connecting an iPAD?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 20:34   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post

I have to tell you as a network admin I get pretty pissed off and sick of all the junk people try to connect to my network.

If they let them connect iPhones however, you'd think it wouldn't be much different than connecting an iPad...

Or maybe not, who knows..

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 21:45   #6
GenX

Send a message via Yahoo to GenX
This thread reminds of http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com/

johnson johnson
GenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 22:30   #7
marineni

It's basicly his network, if he doesnt authorize your device you can't connect it. If you force his hand and he makes policy at your company for devices on the network he will block you from connecting.
A quick google search did come up with others reporting "issues" syncing with exchange and making the ipad unstable and crashing the mail app, which may support the large log file claim.
marineni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48   #8
airmotive
Tin Kicker

I was under the impression that the iPad connected the same way as the iPhone (which is approved). The setup was identicle.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:02   #9
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Fist, iPad runs OS 3.2 which is not available yet for the iPhone, so no, it is not identical to the iPhone.

Next, listen to your IT guy, chances are his life is hard enough with the amazingly stupid things people do with their technology. Why not just engage him in a polite conversation about this issue and ask if there's any way for you to sync your iPad To the company network without crashing it.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:39   #10
noway

sounds like a bad MS/exchange platform or admin

Get for real, you have notebooks, blackberry, computers, iphones but yet a iPAD thing causes a server to crash.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:27   #11
thorn137
Walther

This article might be applicable / similar to the situation your IT guy is facing:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...s-banning-ipad

thorn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
thorn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 14:03   #12
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post

Get for real, you have notebooks, blackberry, computers, iphones but yet a iPAD thing causes a server to crash.

Twice in the past week I saw a simple, consumer-grade wireless router crash two separate Windows Server 2003 networks. What happens is the server is used to handling DHCP, so when you connect a router to the network and it does the same thing by default, the server freaks out and the whole network goes down.

A simple server reboot fixes the issue (along with disabling DHCP in the router) but you wouldn't think something like that could crash a network, yet I saw it with my own eyes, twice, on two different networks.

SO, it's not too far-fetched to believe that the iPad could somehow cause issues too, since as I noted above, it runs a different OS than any current iphone.
Old 05-27-2010, 18:17   #13
Linux3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn137 View Post

I have to think Princeton, Cornell and G. Washington U. know how to configure a network.

Old 05-27-2010, 19:44   #14
HKUSP45Css

Quote:

Yes, obviously it's the environment (the one that was stable until the iPad showed up) or the admin (the one who kept things working until the iPad showed up) and not the user or his unauthorized equipment.

People shouldn't assume that all devices are identical and all platforms will support all devices just like plugging a thumb drive into a Windows box.

Sadly, the real IT world is a bit more murky.

Final word, the network belongs to the guy whose job it is to keep EVERYBODY working productively, not the user who thinks it's cool to connect any consumer grade appliance he or she has just run right out and bought.

In my Field Office you can be written up for connecting a thumb drive. The feds don't play.

I spent an hour yesterday finding out who plugged their POS HP into my secure network. I was (understandably) non-plussed that a person who worked there for 7 years and knew darn well better thought nobody would catch him. I really had better things to do than chase him down because he "had" to watch a funny youtube video and our content filter was preventing it. Turns out the content filter still wouldn't let him watch it.

I understand his supervisor intends to write him up and seal a letter in his file over it.

To the OP:

If IT guys strike you as pricks (admittedly, yours may very be one) it's probably because you have very little knowledge of what it is we do and what we have to endure on a daily basis.
HKUSP45Css is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:05   #15
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKUSP45Css View Post
To the OP:

If IT guys strike you as pricks (admittedly, yours may very be one) it's probably because you have very little knowledge of what it is we do and what we have to endure on a daily basis.
I totally agree. When your network is humming along all the users think you have a very easy job, if they think of you at all.
1 little outage and your skills are suspect.

I had a user set up 2 systems, no need to bother me he knows what he is doing, and he gave a MAC and a Linux system the same IP address. "Isn't that the P we use"?

How about someone who plugs their home whatever into my class D network and they have a netmask of 0xff000000.

And the list goes on and on. Too many dweebs, not enough pink slips.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:35   #16
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:

Corporate policy is pretty 'fuzzy'...and is geared more towards forbidding activites which hog bandwidth or use company resources for commercial/criminal/time wasting enterprises.

IPads were not expressly given permission to connect. Neither were iPhones. Of course, he's the one who sent out instructions for connecting iPhones to the email server. And when asked about iPads, he said they connected the same way.

Only after everything came crashing down did he send the email in the OP to me - with a CC to the company president, VP and district manager. I guess that's what really is the sticking point. A phone call would have solved the problem faster and more appropriately. Sending the email was clearly a finger-pointering exercise with the sole intention of tossing someone under the bus.

Fortunately, he sent instruction for connecting iPhones in an email...so there's documentation for that. However, he gave instructions for the iPad over the phone.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:48   #17
fgutie35

As a network Admin. It is frustrating when you are walking on eggshells to keep your network secure specially when it gets bombarded everyday. Anything that can create a "back door" to get into the intranet, is look upon with evil eyes by most IT managers. So if your ipad created just that (which more than likely it did) explains his discontent. Exchange Server is not a domesticated animal per say. Many IT guys think that just because they got it up and running, theyr job is done, NOT SO. It takes real skills to configure Excahnge Server to avoid problem like your IT guy had (oviously his is not configured correctly). Give the guy a break and abide by his request. Then asked him nicely if in the future would they make modifications to accept ipads.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:50   #18
HKUSP45Css

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
Only after everything came crashing down did he send the email in the OP to me - with a CC to the company president, VP and district manager. I guess that's what really is the sticking point. A phone call would have solved the problem faster and more appropriately. Sending the email was clearly a finger-pointering exercise with the sole intention of tossing someone under the bus.

Fortunately, he sent instruction for connecting iPhones in an email...so there's documentation for that. However, he gave instructions for the iPad over the phone.
Not that it matters to you but, he likely copied those mucky-mucks because they were ythe ones looking for a head on a platter and he was tasked with providing it.

I don't "tattle" on anybody if the "deed" can be handled in house. If, however my boss asks me for specific info on the "who/what" I'm not about to lie or cover up to him to save a user's hide. Particularly when they should have known better.

I also find it a little interesting that you didn't mention his involvement with allowing you to connect the iPad until several people agreed with the IT guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive
I was under the impression that the iPad connected the same way as the iPhone (which is approved). The setup was identicle.
Probably would have been worded "I was told by the IT guy the setup was identical." if there were more truth to the new story.
HKUSP45Css is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:53   #19
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Let's put it this way....
From his email:
"The I-Pad is an unsupported device and it was connected to the network (via Exchange) without the advice or consent of IT." ...That's simply a lie....but I didn't want to start the thread out on such a negative note.

Any differences in wording from one post to the next is simply an effort to make a long story short. Sorry if that confused you. I WAS under the impression the setup was identical. Both before and after the IT guy's advice. And the setup WAS identical.

Last edited by airmotive; 05-28-2010 at 11:55..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 14:04   #20
noway

Quote:
I have to think Princeton, Cornell and G. Washington U. know how to configure a network.
Oh really, are you saying that becuase they are big universities that they are immune and never have problems. Well read just some of the big errors they have made over the years

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=210101877

http://cornellsun.com/node/37474

http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=17258

edit 2 add:

Still sounds like too me, a badly administrated eXch server or some other unrelated problem and now the iPAD is to be blamed.

I wonder how they are going enforce a iPAD NOT sync'ing to the eXch server or how would the discretely can tell the difference between it vrs a iPhone or anything else as far as that goes. Like to see what they are going todo when 4.0 is release and it suppose to be the same codee iPad or Phone.

Last edited by noway; 05-28-2010 at 14:07..
noway is offline   Reply With Quote