Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-26-2010, 18:40   #1
crasha51pan

Shooting distance

Breaking in my new PM 9. I marked off 15ft., 20ft., and 30ft. I have heard some say they are shooting from 90/100 ft.
That seems like a far distance for such a short barrel. What distance, with accuracy, can you expect from the PM 9 ?
crasha51pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 23:11   #2
Caver 60

Try searching this forum using the word 'accuracy'. Here's a couple of results.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...light=accuracy

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...light=accuracy

I've got a PM9 and a MK9. Love them both. I can do a little better with the MK9, probably due to the heavier weight, but with practice they are both very accurate.

I've always enjoyed long range pistol shooting. There's a thread somewhere that I'm trying to find by a guy who post some amazing pictures of his results at 50 yards with a Kahr. I can't do nearly as well as he can, but at fifty yards if I couldn't hit someone standing still, I could sure make them duck for cover.

I've got a 55 gallon drum on my private range that I can occasionally hit at 100 yards while shooting my MK9 from a standing position, two handed hold.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 20:32   #3
Caver 60

I finally located some of the posts from the guy I was looking for. I don't have time to go through all of them, but go to the General firearms Forum and do an advanced search for his user name, M2 Carbine.

Here is one.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217771

Look at post number 7 on that thread. Granted it isn't a Kahr, but you'll get the idea of the kind of shooting he does with handguns.
Old 05-27-2010, 20:46   #4
Bat

The gun will shoot farther and more accurately than most of us are capable of handling. As noted above some enjoy and are capable of shooting long distances. I purchased my PM 9 because I wanted something I could possibly shoot more accurately than my J frame snub (again, that I could shoot better, not necessarily a gun that could shoot better/more accurately, apparently some people can hit at 100 yards with their J frames also, NOT ME). All that said, I like to practice at 15 and 21 feet. I read that something like 80% of all shooting encounters were at 21 feet and below (most at much closer like <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:time Hour="9" Minute="53">7 to 10</st1:time> feet, but out to 21 to get the 80%). I also enjoy see what I can do at 45 feet (supposedly where my Sig was zeroed in for). I play with lots of distances, but apply real work between 15 and 21 feet.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:12   #5
Linux3

15 and 21 feet are my practice distances with my PM9.
I belong to one club that only lets you put your targets at the back stop, indoor range.
At the 50' back stop with a 3" barrel and my old shaky hands I'm happy to hit a 8.5x11 target almost all the time.
50' should give me room to just run away or dodge. 21' requires accuracy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 16:32   #6
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasha51pan View Post
Breaking in my new PM 9. I marked off 15ft., 20ft., and 30ft. I have heard some say they are shooting from 90/100 ft.
That seems like a far distance for such a short barrel. What distance, with accuracy, can you expect from the PM 9 ?
It's best to know what your gun can achieve at all distances.
At 100 yards those little pistols rounds aren't gonna do much but if you can put seven of those on a man sized target at 100 rounds you may get lucky...
Kalashnikov Klub Member-761
RTN Club Member-171-Moonie
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 15:49   #7
bac1023

100 ft, is what, 33 yards?

That seems far for a pistol like the PM9.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 22:29   #8
Caver 60

One hundred feet or yards might be a far distance for the shooter. The pistol is quite capable of good accuracy at these distances as noted in several posts and references above.

But I believe if you can shoot well at long range, your close range shooting will be much better. The basics must be correct to hit at long range. Once the basics are correct, I believe it helps with close range work.

However I will concede most should probably just stick with standard combat ranges, unless they are willing to make the commitment to really work on long range shooting.
Old 06-08-2010, 22:58   #9
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Hickok45 has a youtube video up of him shoot his PM9 at 60yards, accurately.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:57   #10
user
VaLegalDefense

I don't see any point in shooting a defensive firearm at distances greater than normal defensive range. My six-inch S&W model 29 or the five and a half inch model 627 (.44 mag and .357 mag., respectively) are good for fifty to a hundred yards. But I don't carry those except in the woods.
Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28   #11
hickok45

My experience with both handguns and archery over the years is that shooting out at longer ranges than is practical enhances one's shooting ability at normal ranges. There's something about the focus it demands and confidence it builds, I think.

hickok45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 22:34   #12
Caver 60

Before I got that over 45 eye problem I really enjoyed shooting my iron sighted Ruger 44 at 200 yards. And 100 yards was a breeze with the iron sighted 44 and/or a 357 from a standing position two handed hold.

I still try to shoot them at 100 yards using special reading glasses. But I also try to take the carry guns for a spin at 50 yards and frequently 100 yards. I think it helps close range shooting. If you can get the basics correct at longer range it helps at closer range.

I've put down a lot of small moving (as in running) varmints at 3 to 15 yards with one of my CCW pieces without using my glasses. Granted the varmints aren't shooting back, but it builds my confidence that I could accurately hit something larger at those ranges if (God forbid) it ever becomes necessary.