Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-10-2010, 20:51   #1
awpk03s

Kahr PM45 Diamond Black - Range Report, Pics & Problems

I picked up a new carry gun today. After much experimentation, and deliberation, I wanted one carry piece that could be carried comfortably and concealed in multiple ways (pocket, IWB, ankle), and yet be powerful, accurate, reliable.

My answer to all of this was a Kahr PM45 with the Diamond Black stainless slide. I ordered it through my dealer with standard sights, and had them install XS Big Dot 24/7 Night Sights on it (ordered from Kahr) when it came in. It feels very good in my hand, and I really like the size of it. It really is very versatile.
Wanting to quickly start breaking it in, I went down the street to my local indoor range with 100 rounds of Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ.

I shot all 100 rounds at 7 yards, and was immediately impressed with the accuracy of this pistol. ALL 100 rounds went into one ragged 3-4 inch hole at the center of the target, pretty impressive to me for only a 3 inch barrel. It definitely has some recoil to it, but it's also definitely manageable and not uncomfortable.

In these 100 rounds, I had 3 FTF and 1 FTE, which were easily fed/cleared/fired. To me that's no big deal, it's still in the break-in period, and I'll forgive those instances.

On to the bad news... the gun ejected the hot flying brass directly at my face. Every single shot. Thank goodness I was wearing eye protection. I caught a couple right in the goggles, but most hit my forehead, the top of my head, or my ear. Determined to suffer through it, I put all my rounds downrange and then packed up to go home. I was pretty disappointed in this development - there's no way in hell I'd ever shoot that gun without eye protection. So, thinking to myself on the way home, I'd probably have to go back to my dealer, or call Kahr and try to get some resolution to this, none of which is pleasing.

So, I get home and strip the pistol for cleaning. Here's where I notice several other very interesting details. The right hand bottom corner of the feed ramp appears to be broken off. The line is not even, and there's absolutely a broken edge to it. Going further, on the top side of the barrel, where it interacts with the extractor, there's another small broken edge. Thirdly, looking at the inside of the slide, the center piece of material running up to the barrel, is a very slanted different height - maybe this is supposed to be that way, I don't know.

I do know that it shouldn't extract/eject brass into my head, and there's definitely a broken edge on the feedramp of the gun.

As happy as I am with the size, feel, accuracy, and versatility of this pistol - it's going to have to go back. I don't know what will fix this, a new barrel? Additional slide/ejection port machining? But it's got to get fixed.

Here's some pictures - some of them aren't that good, sorry.
Thoughts, advice, comments are all welcome.

Kahr Club
Kahr Club
Kahr Club
Kahr Club
Kahr Club
Kahr Club
awpk03s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 20:52   #2
awpk03s

This is what my head looks like after 3 hours later and a shower.

Kahr Club
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19   #3
8th SPS USAF

Pm 45

Glad you are OK. Sorry for trouble. KAHR should fix it. I carry and shoot

both the P45 and PM 45. PM is my favorite carry gun ever. I sent the slide

to CCR and had them do a urbon camo finish. Looks great. Asked them to

do same to the mags , but to small so I had my PM,P,PM9 mags done in blk.

Looks great, even if you can't see it. I have shot most everything in my

P/PM with no trouble. Carries great. I have a CrossBreed IWB.

Hope everything works out. Don't give up on a great little gun.

8th
8th SPS USAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:00   #4
Cowart

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpk03s View Post
looking at the inside of the slide, the center piece of material running up to the barrel, is a very slanted different height - maybe this is supposed to be that way, I don't know.
it's going to have to go back...
Additional slide/ejection port machining?
With the gun empty, cycle the slide slowly. Note how the barrel's hood moves down (unlocks) just as the slide starts to move backward. Also note how the barrel's hood moves up (locks) just as the slide closes. This is all happening because of that "very slanted" cut in the slide.

The brass/forehead interaction problem could probably be solved by replacing the extractor yourself, which would save the hassle of sending it back. Or a gunsmith could probably fix it with a few strokes of a file.

Last edited by Cowart; 06-11-2010 at 11:04..
Cowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:55   #5
Shooterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th SPS USAF View Post
had them do a urbon camo finish. Looks great.
I want pictures and I want them NOW!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 16:30   #6
awpk03s

Thanks for the replies... the gun went back to Kahr today with an RMA. They said it was likely the extractor - had no comments on the feed ramp though. I'm sure it'll get fixed right up and back to me to qualify out and put in a holster!
Old 06-13-2010, 21:09   #7
cziv

Quote:
I shot all 100 rounds at 7 yards, and was immediately impressed with the accuracy of this pistol. ALL 100 rounds went into one ragged 3-4 inch hole at the center of the target
Pics or it never happened!!
Beretta Club #3, Smith & Wesson Club #777
Kahr Club #7777, Ruger Club #777
Snubbie Club #777, SNS Club #777

cziv is offline   Reply With Quote