SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-29-2010, 18:40   #1
Case de Callier

Do or do not shoot reloads in a GLOCK?

I am confused...

I have read that it is not recommended to shoot reloads using a GLOCK.

I have also read threads, or postings from individuals that lead me to believe they are indeed reloading and shooting them from their GLOCKs.

Is there more risk reloading and shooting a certain caliber vs. another through the GLOCK?

What would you do? What do you do?
Μολὼν λαβέ
Case de Callier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 18:42   #2
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

The book says don't, but that is just a CYA thing because they cannot regulate what some guy stuffs in a cartridge.

The big controversy is shooting lead bullets (not jacketed) through a factory Glock barrel.

Last edited by DustyJacket; 05-29-2010 at 18:43..
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 18:53   #3
Case de Callier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
The book says don't, but that is just a CYA thing because they cannot regulate what some guy stuffs in a cartridge.

The big controversy is shooting lead bullets (not jacketed) through a factory Glock barrel.

So, go by the book and do not use lead bullets and I should be safe?
Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 05-29-2010, 19:18   #4
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Well yes and no. Bad ammo will give problems and good ammo will work great.
Lead is not bad for my Glocks, if fact they seem to like it.
I reload and shoot lead, plated and jacketed bullets thru my Glocks (G22/G23) and have not had a problem with my reloads but have with factory ammo.
My G22 Gen4 has had only reloads shot thru it and not one problem after 1,350 rounds and 350 of those being lead.
Old 05-29-2010, 20:42   #5
Case de Callier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
Well yes and no. Bad ammo will give problems and good ammo will work great.
Lead is not bad for my Glocks, if fact they seem to like it.
I reload and shoot lead, plated and jacketed bullets thru my Glocks (G22/G23) and have not had a problem with my reloads but have with factory ammo.
My G22 Gen4 has had only reloads shot thru it and not one problem after 1,350 rounds and 350 of those being lead.
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 05-29-2010, 22:38   #6
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

I only shoot Handloads Period! (only recently I bought some 9x25Dillon from DT wanted the brass) Jacket and my own cast alloy from any and all of mine. Nothing like rolling your own...got to love it! 30+ years and it hasn't saved me money but I do get to shoot more!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 23:38   #7
The10mmKid

Reloads, I do.

Keep in mind that GLOCKS have generous factory chambers. When you are working your loads up to the data max, you will see some case stress . . . maybe even the famous GLOCK smile.

Lead boolits, I do.

Still working on the proper load. I'm casting my own and haven't quite nailed THE trouble-free round yet.

'da Kid

Last edited by The10mmKid; 05-29-2010 at 23:39..
The10mmKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:55   #8
Case de Callier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The10mmKid View Post
Reloads, I do.

Keep in mind that GLOCKS have generous factory chambers. When you are working your loads up to the data max, you will see some case stress . . . maybe even the famous GLOCK smile.

Lead boolits, I do.

Still working on the proper load. I'm casting my own and haven't quite nailed THE trouble-free round yet.

'da Kid

If I do not push the limits or get too close to the data max, how long will a casing last?

GLOCK smile? Do tell.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 05-30-2010, 08:59   #9
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Depending on the manufacture of the brass casings you could see 10 or even more loadings. Although I have see cases split from the original factory loading...Federal comes to mind here as I have seen many of these split from stem to stern.

You have to realize that the cases start to get nicked, dinged along the extractor rims, this can cause some feeding issues. Brass cases get work hardened each time you shoot/resize them, this makes them brittle and prone to split of failure. Generous chambers of some barrels cause this to happen faster because more work is required to resize. Sizing near the extractor cut(like that of push thru dies) help rounds fit the tighter chambers and pass a case gauge test, for 100% feed and function.

So great care needs to be taken with case inspection, to maintain reliable 100% function.

I try to keep my cast alloy (156grain/175grain)down to 1100-1150fps, but I have shot the 156grains in the 1400fps range without much leading.

Good luck with yours!
Old 05-30-2010, 19:50   #10
Maine1

my glocks see little else.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:38   #11
The10mmKid

Quote:

GLOCK smile? Do tell.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachme...5&d=1269927105

Search for "GLOCK smile" if the above thumbnail link doesn't work.

'da Kid
Old 05-31-2010, 10:20   #12
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

If you have any cases like the one in the picture (10mmKid posted the link to above)...DO NOT ATEMPT TO RELOAD IT!, it has been compromised. Not even the "pushthru dies" will help to correct this...reloading and shooting this case can cause it to have a case head seperation.

Why? Because the brass has started to shear as it stretched due to the unsupported area. Pushing it back into place will not help the molecular structure.

Last edited by _The_Shadow; 05-31-2010 at 10:22..
Old 05-31-2010, 10:34   #13
aggiekcc
Lifetime Membership

I just set up my reloading bench this past couple of months and finally made it to the range with my first batch of 9mm and 10mm home made ammo. Worked great and was more accurate than the PMC factory I was comparing to. Reloads are fine as long as you use some common sense.

G20L, G29, Ruger LCP w/ Crimson Trace, YHM-Vltor-Spikes Tactical AR-15
aggiekcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 15:15   #14
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Reloads/handloads will, obviously, void your Glock warranty, but I rarely shoot anything but handloads. Instead of cast lead, you may consider shooting plated bullets. They are not too much more expensive than lead, and function well in the Glock barrel.

The looser chamber of the Glock will leave a bit of "Glock Belly" in your brass. That will be a bulge just ahead of the extractor groove on one side. In my opinion, a bit of Glock belly is ok. If it grows into a "Glock smile" (with an indented half-moon above the bulge) then the case has been compromised. I've only induced Glock smiles in one load combination, so that hasn't really been an issue. My RCBS carbide re-sizing die irons out the Glock belly. I've been getting good life from my brass.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 17:45   #15
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case de Callier View Post
If I do not push the limits or get too close to the data max, how long will a casing last?

GLOCK smile? Do tell.
The range brass gremlins will steal your brass before it gets to end of its useful life. I had some I probably got 5 to 10 reloads but they seem to disappear eventually. I only go about 90% of max.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:06   #16
Case de Callier

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
If you have any cases like the one in the picture (10mmKid posted the link to above)...DO NOT ATEMPT TO RELOAD IT!, it has been compromised. Not even the "pushthru dies" will help to correct this...reloading and shooting this case can cause it to have a case head seperation.

Why? Because the brass has started to shear as it stretched due to the unsupported area. Pushing it back into place will not help the molecular structure.

Big 10-4 on that. I would hope nobody would look at that and say, "Well maybe one more load." Thanks for the pic 10mmKid.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 06-04-2010, 17:56   #17
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator378 View Post
The range brass gremlins will steal your brass before it gets to end of its useful life. I had some I probably got 5 to 10 reloads but they seem to disappear eventually. I only go about 90% of max.
+1 the nickle stuff is really hard to find on the gravel that is prevelant at my club.

Other than that, the extent of the useful life for my brass has been a function of cases eventually shrinking below specs. Winchesters have been the worst, followed by Federal. I've only ever had one 10mm case split. Oh, and I did have a few smilies once from a load workup with 800-X/180XTPs. Those were tossed.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 18:08   #18
TACC GLOCK
SEMPER FIDELIS

I shoot only reloaded, both lead and jacketed through 9mm, 40, and 45 glocks. I have not had any problems as of yet.
Old 06-04-2010, 22:23   #19
The10mmKid

Just to toss in a few more tidbits.

I've shot and reloaded 9mm for my G17 until either the primers seats way too easy or you can't read the headstamp anymore. I leave these at the public outdoor range.

I've shot and smiled quite a few high energy 10mm rounds. The chamber on my second gen G20 is just way too loose. I work up the loads in my LW barrel, but check some in the 'ole girl barrel, just in case I may need her.

I've split several Federal 10mm cases. Only Federal !!! Usually from quick powders. I no longer load 10mm with anything faster than a medium speed now. Favorite is LoudShot and that crappy dropping 800-X.

For my 40S&W G22, I've only loaded middle-of-the-road rounds. There are so many scary .40 cato's, I don't push it. Never bought any new .40 brass. The fotay' doesn't excite me much, so I just shoot it casually.

'da 10mm Kid
Old 06-07-2010, 21:14   #20
Case de Callier

Thanks everyone!
Μολὼν λαβέ