Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-30-2010, 16:29   #1
JGguns

Kimber carbon barrel

I posted this in the gunsmithing but thought it might be better in here. The previous owner of my kimber royal II didnt not keep it oiled like he should have. I have tried a few different polishing things I have read about but cant get all the discoloration off. I was thinking of getting some of the birchwood casey perma blue to cover up the discoloring. Is there any reason I should not do this? If not does anyone have any tips for applying it? Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 16:37   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Can you post pics?
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 16:46   #3
JGguns

Wiil do wrench
Old 05-30-2010, 16:54   #4
JGguns

This is after some polishing with flitz. The pic makes it look alittle more brown than it is, it really is blackish looking...

1911 Forums
Old 05-31-2010, 21:27   #5
PlasticGuy

I've seen this before. I'm more concerned with how a guns shoots that if there's carbon scoring on an internal part that nobody will see anyway. I do know a guy who's pretty anal and had this on one of his Kimbers, and Kimber offered to polish it out for free. He took them up on the offer. It took about six weeks, but it looked good as new and only cost him shipping one way.

I'd suggest that route if it's going to make you lose sleep. Trying to apply a blued finish will probably look uneven because the stains will likely show through the blued finish. Personally, I'd just keep shooting it.
Old 05-31-2010, 21:33   #6
Tactical black

I had this happen once and I took some FP10 and scotch brite and it was gone in seconds looked as good as new.
Tactical black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 22:12   #7
ILikeFtLbs

I had a little of that near the bushing on my custom ii. I sent it in for warranty work on something else, and the gunsmith told me he also refinished the barrel because of discoloration. It came back looking new. No charge.

By the way, that is typical of good carbon steel like 1095 (I don't know what kind the barrel on a kimber is made from though). That stuff is also tough as hell compared to stainless. I wouldn't worry about it, but keep it oiled.

Last edited by ILikeFtLbs; 05-31-2010 at 22:18..
ILikeFtLbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 00:18   #8
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeFtLbs View Post
I had a little of that near the bushing on my custom ii. I sent it in for warranty work on something else, and the gunsmith told me he also refinished the barrel because of discoloration. It came back looking new. No charge.

By the way, that is typical of good carbon steel like 1095 (I don't know what kind the barrel on a kimber is made from though). That stuff is also tough as hell compared to stainless. I wouldn't worry about it, but keep it oiled.
If it were 4150, there'd be less oxidation. Then again Kart or Bar-Sto Precision barrels would not have issues.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 14:33   #9
DRAGON1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGguns View Post
This is after some polishing with flitz. The pic makes it look alittle more brown than it is, it really is blackish looking...

1911 Forums
Use some Flitz on a green scouring pad in a "shoe shine" motion following the curve on the barrel. In ten minutes you will be good to go.
DRAGON1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 16:52   #10
JGguns

I know this is merely cosmetic but I want to get ri of the existing build up. Once it gone I will properly maintain and it wont be a issue. Thanks for the suggestions fellas...