SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:43   #1
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I have a question about the 10mm.

Hey Mas! First I just wanted to say thanks for all the good info over the years.

My question has to do with the 10mm, and defending the use of this caliber after a defensive shooting. I shoot the 10mm very well, and I want to carry it where I work in a pawn shop. I only have one worry, If I should have to use it in a defensive situation, would I be opening myself to serious trouble after wards for using such a powerful round? I usually shoot DT ammo in it. Do you think I would be killed in court for it, or brought up on charges from a prosecutor for it? I seem to remember someone being brought up on charges and having to defend the use of the 10mm in court. Excessive force? If you say yes, Ill stick with 45acp +p and not worry about it, but I love my 10mm.
Thanks for all the info!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 13:03   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Dogbite, I wouldn't worry about the "gun too powerful" argument. It was famously (infamously?) used against Harold Fish in Arizona, costing him a huge amount of money and a big chunk out of his life. However, most of us feel that with proper material and expert witness testimony, that argument would have been neutralized when he was tried. GT's search function will bring up more details on the Harold Fish case if you are interested.

In a pawn shop -- likely to be full of customers the one time you don't want it to be -- overpenetration would be my biggest concern. Many 10mm loads tend to penetrate deeply. Best bet, I suspect, would be something on the order of the 135 grain/1450 fps load offered by Cor-Bon and also, I believe, by Double-Tap.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 16:49   #3
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Thank you sir for all the good information!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote