Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-31-2010, 16:21   #1
jack76590

Degree of movement possible

There is recently a lot of discussion on movement in self defense situations. Justification generally involves argument it is more important not to be shot than to shoot opponent. Makes sense to a point. But these guys seem to justify their position based on getting into an open field and seeing who makes the most hits with a paintball gun. I understand the trainer does not want to have people break their necks so open area is required. But is this realistic?

I realize this forum is designed to supply short answers, so have somewhat specific questions based on your review of many gunfights.

How often has for lack of a better term the "terrain" in a gunfight permitted movement and to what degree generally? Also has the "terrain" often permitted movement backwards or in a manner where the person could not see where he is going.

As I read about gunfights, it seems most do not allow for much movement and when it does you better look where you are going. In most cases it appears you want to do one or the other - move or shoot - but not both at once.
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 17:39   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Thanks for appreciating the short question/short answer format, Jack.

To answer your explicit short questions, I offer a decisive "we don't know." From FBI's Officers Killed Summary to NYPD's SOP-9 reports, we don't find detailed analysis of the ground surface and obstacles vis-a-vis the exact placement of officers and perpetrators, particularly in the area surrounding the shooting positons as opposed to the area between the shooters. Thus, the empirical data base to answer your question has never been gathered to a degree that would support a decisive answer.

There are essentially three schools of thought on this controversial topic: stand and deliver, move and then stand and shoot, and fire while moving offline from the threat. As you have obviously understood, the totality of the circumstances will decide which is best for each situation, so the wise shooter will internalize all three abilities to have each on tap when the given stimulus dictates one or another superior response.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote