Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2010, 16:08   #1
govolscollector

1st thread, what firearm to use for CCW class

This is my first thread here, I joined due to a discussion with a co-worker over a CCW class I'm taking this weekend (Ohio CCW) and he suggested I post here for advice.

First off I am a collector, I really don't shoot much if any (I know odd).
I have an assortment of pistols and revolvers to choose from yet few I have ever shot or have experience with.
I understand with the Ohio CCW class I will shoot 100rds (I have been told to bring that amount).
Back when I did shoot (20 ys ago) it was mostly with 1911's, Ruger MkII's and other milisurp type firearms (revolvers and semi autos).
I'm abit worried about any types of malfunctions and clearance drills with my semi autos although shooting a revolver DA accurately was always an issue with me, hence I have some worries with either type.

1. Does anyone know of the Ohio CCW class, other then bringing 100rd, the firearm must be 38 cal or larger and it taking 12 hours I know nothing of it.
2. Are there any required pistol craft I will need to know that might give me and my rusty 20 yr old experiences troubles? I know I can handle a firearm safely but wonder if I'll have to take the weapon apart, clearance drills, etc... If you were using an unknown firearm to you, which would bother you more, lack of skill in operation (my semi auto issue) or accuracy (revolver) bother you most?
3. Of the following which do you think might be best...
1911 (45acp), Makarov (9x18), Sig 220 (45), Sig 226 (9mm), Sig 225 (9mm), Astra A75 (9mm), Webley Mk6 (45), SW Mod 65-3 (357), Taurus 650 (357), TT33 (I have a 9mm barrel), Beretta M9 (9mm). Of these most are unfired with my experience being maybe 10-20rds each through one 1911, one Mak and the Webley (the only reason I included it ).

Sorry if the thread is on the long side but the class is coming up this weekend and I'm alittle apprehensive about it.

Thanks
govolscollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 19:29   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Since I don't teach CCW for Ohio, my advice to you is: RUN, DO NOT WALK, TO THE "WHERE U LIVE" section here at Glock Talk, and once you are there, post the exact same questions in the Midwest Glockers sub-section. There, you should draw responses from folks who have been through the type of course you are looking at, or even teach it.

Ain't no shame in being a gun collector who doesn't shoot. There are collectors of Waterford crystal who never use those beautiful objects to hold food or beverages, after all. Congratulations, however, on taking this step to protect yourself and your family.

Since your self-description is one of someone who appreciates guns but is essentially a "new shooter," I think of the guns you mentioned the S&W Model 65 revolver will be the simplest and most forgiving for your class. It won't hurt to go to the range with someone who is active in shooting and "up on" the manuals of arms to give you some preparation before you take the class.

Best of luck to you. Come on back and tell us how it worked out for you. Glock Talk is a very broad community with lots of talent to draw from, and I think you'll get a lot out of posting the same thread you started here, in the Midwestern Glockers section of "WHERE U LIVE." That section of GT is an underutilized resource, in my opinion.

Best,
M
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 20:04   #3
govolscollector

Thank you I will post the question over at the other thread by your advice,

Again thank you
Old 06-05-2010, 19:37   #4
govolscollector

Took the test today, it was alot of worry over nothing as I got a 100%. Truthfully I'd be surprised if everyone didn't get a 100% it was that easy. I was able to take and shoot a variety of my firearms which ended up being the Astra A75, RIA 1911, Sig 225, Taurus 650 and SW 65, of all those I shot best with the SW 65.

Thanks again