Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:28   #1
OldArcher
Gospel Carrier

Suppressor for SD in home?

Hi Mas!

I'm partially disabled, and am my Mother's caregiver. She's 89, a heart patient, deaf in one ear, nearly deaf in the other(and so uses a hearing aid), and is legally blind. I'm 60, have severe disk disease and cardiomyopathty, and am on the sliding(downward) scale of mobility, stamina, and strength.

Home invasions are becoming more prevalent in our state, as the economy worsens. During the war, I suffered some hearing damage, though nobody thought to get disability payments at the time, and no way to prove it now... When at the range, I have to use ear plugs, as well as ear muffs, even when shooting one of my .22LR Ruger 10/22 Chargers.

I keep Walker's Power Muffs on my bed post, and have my G30 with 14rds by my bed, Gemtech Blackside and M6X affixed. I can no longer move quickly, nor easily wield/field my ARs, shotgun, or bolt action rifles. I'm relegated to using my pistols for self defense. Frankly, I never considered becoming decrepit...

Would my current set-up be considered "too much," for self defense? I can no longer do hand-to-hand, nor could I even use any kind of blade- though I have true "working swords" and top level fighting knives and tomahawks.

I appreciate all you have done for the shooting fraternity, and your help to us, here at GT.

Thank-you, Mas. I look forward to your ideas...

OldArcher, out...
"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
OldArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Old Archer, I haven't worked with the particular suppressor you have, but have always found Gemtech products in general to be extremely reliable and efficient. I assume you have worked extensively with your set-up and assured its reliability, and have all your ducks in a row with ATF licensing.

Because the general public and even a lot of pro-gun folks don't realize that Class III equipment such as full auto and suppressors can be perfectly legal for the public to own, a defensive shooting involving that sort of gear opens the citizen up to allegations of using weapons the entertainment media has made the jury pool associate with criminals.

However, you are in a very defensible position: you're an honorably discharged American war vet with a combat-related hearing disability, who can literally be crippled by the deafening sound effects if you have to discharge an unsuppressed firearm in close quarters without hearing protection. Since you might not have time to don active muffs in a fast breaking situation, your use of a sound suppressor on an HD weapon is a wise approach, tactically. A smart defense attorney will use expert and material witness testimony to explain why in your case, the suppressor on a home defense firearm is not only perfectly legal, but makes perfect sense. (Hint: after a shooting, you'll want your attorney to present this information to the prosecutor BEFORE your case goes to the Grand Jury.)

best of luck,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:32   #3
OldArcher
Gospel Carrier

Thanks!

Hi Mas!

You've taken a huge load off of my mind and shoulders.

Thank-you, Sir.

May you and yours always be well, safe, happy, and forever, free...

OldArcher, relieved, out...
"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
OldArcher is offline   Reply With Quote