Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2010, 00:07   #1
Kaptnstovepipe

Reloading for G36

I'm thinking of picking up a Glock G36, but to learn to shoot this pistol well, I'm going to have to reload.

I know that in the past there were issues about Glock chambers not supporting brass cartridge cases well enough to permit re-using the brass fired from the Glocks. Is this still an issue with the newer generation Glocks?

Also, can I put together some paper-punching cast lead reloads and fire them through the G36 without changing the barrel to one with more conventional rifling? I've heard that the polygonal rifling in Glock barrels can lead to pretty severe leading of bores. Is this still an issue, even with relatively low mid-range velocities and well-lubed cast bullets with a Bnh of at least 16?

I've been getting mixed information about these possible problems, and I need to know how much of an investment, beyond the cost of the stock pistol, I'm going to have to make.

Thanks.
Kaptnstovepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:06   #2
das9mm26

The lack of chamber support was an issue with some early production .40S&W Glocks; the issue has since been remedied...You should have no problems with PROPERLY CONSTRUCTED reloads in the 36......I've fired several hundred through mine with zero troubles...
As for the leading concern.....I've never taken the chance with firing lead/cast bullets in ANY stock Glock barrel....I've purchased an aftermarket bbl (Lone Wolf, Nowlin ,Bar-Sto, etc.) and used IT for shooting lead rounds.
Some will say go ahead and use lead in the stock bbl....just be SURE to clean it THOROUGHLY after EACH and EVERY range session.....if you're one who puts off cleaning your firearm(s), I'd HIGHLY recommend going with the aftermarket barrel...~$100 is far less costly than a whole new gun...or body part!!!
Good Luck....and Stay Safe!!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:15   #3
fredj338

Quote:
Some will say go ahead and use lead in the stock bbl....just be SURE to clean it THOROUGHLY after EACH and EVERY range session.....if you're one who puts off cleaning your firearm(s), I'd HIGHLY recommend going with the aftermarket barrel...~$100 is far less costly than a whole new gun...or body part!!!
Good Luck....and Stay Safe!!
Good advice. I have fired 100s thru a stock G21, but cleaned it every 100rds or so. A $100 bbl is cheap insurance. The G36 is also not likely to enjoy LSWC, try LRN or LTC.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 06-07-2010 at 12:15..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:51   #4
TonyT

I have shot a number of jacketed bullet reloads through my G-36. The 45 ACP operates at a lower pressure than 9m or 40 S&W. I would not use lead bullets in my G-36. I have a friend who has used mild lead bullet loads in his 10mm chambered Glock (cannot remeber the model number) but finally purchased a non-Glock barrel in 40 S&W for his gun in order to shoot lead bullets.
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:31   #5
Glock21sf-miami

I reload for a G36. I only use jacketed bullets and have fired about 500 of my reloads through this gun with no problems at all.
My favorite recipe is WLP primers, 5.0 grs of WST pushing a 200gr Montana Gold JFP. They shoot like a dream and this load is extremely accurate.

Last edited by Glock21sf-miami; 06-08-2010 at 12:31..
Glock21sf-miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 14:05   #6
shotgunred
reloading nut

I mostly shoot Rainier's with Montana gold's as back ups. I have shot over 8k reloads through my G35 and 23 this year alone. Add the last few years in and I can safely say reloads haven't hurt my guns.

I have about 2k of lead bullets just sitting on the shelf but I prefer the Rainier's and Montana gold's. I buy in large enough bulk that there isn't that much difference in price. I just payed $65 a k for 124 Rainiers and $85 for 180;s.
and motivated by pride and vanity.

Last edited by shotgunred; 06-08-2010 at 14:06..
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 16:06   #7
coachg

I don't have a Glock in 45 but shoot lots of Moly coated 40's through my G22 stock barrel. I do clean it after every shooting, but it only takes a couple of patches and I'm done. You can save about $30/1000 with moly lead over jacketed in those calibers.

Last edited by coachg; 06-08-2010 at 16:07..
coachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 18:36   #8
sdelam

I reload for my G36 with out issues, I use a after market barrel for lead though. I have found that it dosnt like bullets with shoulders like the Lee 452-230-2R, but it has no issues with the lyman 452-374.