Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:22   #1
Cherokee Bob

Remington 1100 modified for defense

I was in a local pawn shop today and found a Remington 1100 in good shape with a roughly cut down barrel that is approximately 20 inches long.
The asking price was only $219 so I thought it might make a fun tactical shotgun project. Does anyone have suggestions regarding an extended magazine tube, synthetic stock or other things that I should consider?
Thanks for any info that you might have.
Cherokee Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:44   #2
TECH51

PM JD (aippi) For tact stuff. As with any autoloading shotgun you are going use as a defense gun. Make sure you find rounds it's going to feed a 100 % all the time.

Last edited by TECH51; 06-08-2010 at 12:46..
TECH51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 13:56   #3
aippi

Here is the issue. The size of the gas orifice in that barrel is determined by the barrel length because the length determines how long the pressure is going to be in the barrel and this affects the gas piston system and how the weapon cycles. So when you cut a barrel on a semi-auto gas operated shotgun down, you may have destroyed the barrel and affected the operation of the weapon. Even if it does cyle, it may cause damage to the weapon over time.

The people who manufacture weapons, any weapon, carefully test these things. Then some guy who knows more then they do comes along with a hack saw and well, very often the resluts are not good.

I personally would have no interest in that weapon unless I was going to install a new Remington barrel. If you did buy it, then consider part number F243884 on the Remington parts list. That is the 18.5" tactical barrel for the 1100. You have no idea of the length of the barrel that is on the weapon now and as you said it was "Roughly" cut down which might indicate it was a hacksaw job. It could have been any length from 26" to 30" and you are going to have major issues with that weapon if you leave that barrel on it.

Assuming the seller knows the same things I listed above, we now know why the price $220.00. If you did not buy it yet, go back and tell him how FUBAR the barrel is and you will give $150 because you have to buy a $175 barrel for it. If you pull that off you have a weapon you can build on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 06-08-2010 at 14:26..
aippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 14:03   #4
reminiz

thanks for posting that info JD. I just learned something.
reminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 15:46   #5
Ljay
Micky's Packin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Here is the issue. The size of the gas orifice in that barrel is determined by the barrel length because the length determines how long the pressure is going to be in the barrel and this affects the gas piston system and how the weapon cycles. So when you cut a barrel on a semi-auto gas operated shotgun down, you may have destroyed the barrel and affected the operation of the weapon. Even if it does cyle, it may cause damage to the weapon over time.
So the size of the gas holes are "SIZED" to the barrel length, So am I correct in thinking that a shorter barrel requires larger gas holes?

So then how different Rem chokes affect the balance of the gas system, Does a full choke tube create more back pressure then say an Improved choke tube affect any reliability issues?
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 15:55   #6
RenegadeGlocker

My 1100 has the Nordic Components extended magazine, an oversize bolt handle, hiviz no jam follower, and is setup for a 3pt sling.
RenegadeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 16:21   #7
sbhaven

Took a bird gun 1100 and converted it over to an HD gun a few years ago. This is the end result.
Tactical Shotguns

In doing the conversion I ran across a few things to consider. If you live in a state with an AWB (like my state of CT has), check the language of the AWB before converting the shotgun to ensure you don't violate the AWB as it relates to semi auto shotguns. I ran up against the evil feature count in my state AWB.

The before picture:
Tactical Shotguns

The gun with the barrel, butt stock and forearm removed. Note: Get the 1100 butt stock bolt bit from Brownells, it makes getting the nut that holds on the butt stock off much easier. I split mine trying to get it off without the bit.
Tactical Shotguns

For the magazine tube extension there is another issue. On some versions (like mine) the tube plug holding back the magazine spring can be levered out with a screw driver. On the newer 1100's apparently the tube plug is held in by a dimple in the magazine tube which then requires the dimples to be ground down for the extended magazine tube to work properly.
Tactical Shotguns

I put on a Rem Choke Deer barrel (from Cabelas) on it to shorten up the barrel length. I also tried putting a SpeedFeed pistol grip stock (from Cabelas) on it but that stock just didn't fit and feel right so I reverted back to the original wood grain furniture stock and forearm for it.

Other things to think about adding are; a light of some kind, the Remington Easy Loader, a larger bolt handle, perhaps a shell side saddle, and a sling of some sort.

Its even possible to stick an EoTech on the 1100...
Tactical Shotguns

The EoTech may be a little much.

Last edited by sbhaven; 06-08-2010 at 16:27..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04   #8
byf43
NRA Life Member

What JD wrote is spot on!

I've seen 'hack jobs' on everything from Mossberg, to Remington 870 and 1100s.

I was very lucky to find a 1972 model Remington 1100 that was like new, that a friend wanted to sell.
When he said, "Gimme a hundred dollars, and it's yours", I had a crisp $100 bill in his hand, before he finished the sentence!!!

I don't have any pics of it in the 'before' state ("Standard" 1100 w/30 plain barrel), but, I have a couple of pics of it, in the 'after' state.
I found a write up on the Remington 1100 Competition Master, online.
I created a "Competition Master Clone", using all Remington parts with the exception of the stock/forend, which are Speedfeed III. I also didn't add the oversize bolt/operating handle. Personally, I just don't need it.
(I've since replaced the buttstock with a conventional buttstock shape, but still, a Speedfeed III.)

Tactical Shotguns

The ONE most useful item from the Competition Master parts list, is the "Carrier Assembly". Instead of having to shove the Carrier Assembly button, on the CM part, you just 'nudge' it. Fast. Really fast!

Tactical Shotguns

Since the barrel has been 'hacked' on the 1100 you're interested in, look inside the receiver and check it's condition.
Do NOT run your finger(s) along the inside of the receiver.
IF the 1100 was ran with minimal (or no) lube, the edges will be sharp enough to cut your fingers!

ETA: If you're interested in the Competition Master parts list, here it is:
Tactical Shotguns

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 06-09-2010 at 19:02..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 23:46   #9
aippi

wow, some great converstions posted on here and done professionally. If you still want a semi auto then grab that 11-87, just talk the guy down because the barrel is of no use. Then start your project. Just do like these guys did and put the right barrel on it. I think byf43 walked into a great deal, $100 for a platform like that to build on is a steal. If you could find a deal like he got and build to the specs like he did, you would have one kick ass Remington.

The Remington shotguns are build so well that you can find just about any model regardless of how old it is and start a project. I have 40+ year old Wingmasters on the refinishing page of my web site and if I did not put a picture of the word Wingmaster on that page, you would swear they were new P models. You could put them in any gun shop and guys would pick them up thinking they were new untill they read the receiver. Best part is with these weapon is that a few springs and small parts and they are as good as the day they left the factory, well, not quite true, they are better because they are broke in and run like tops.

Keep shopping and you will find the one you want. Save this thread and the list that byf43 posted for reference incase you find an 1100.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 06-11-2010 at 23:48..
aippi is online now   Reply With Quote