Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2010, 18:12   #1
berto255

Help picking up a new scope mount.

My set up Vanguard synthetic 223 with:
[IMG]Sights, Optics and Lasers[/IMG]
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Millett 2-Piece Steel Angle-Loc Weaver-Style Scope Base (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=187470) [IMG]Sights, Optics and Lasers[/IMG]
<o:p></o:p>
Millett 30mm Angle-Loc Detachable Rings Weaver-Style Matte High (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=155262) [IMG]Sights, Optics and Lasers[/IMG]
Mueller Target Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 8-32x 44mm Side Focus Target Dot Reticle Matte (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=835407) [IMG]Sights, Optics and Lasers[/IMG]
Here is my dilemma, I really want a one piece rail but I don't know If I really needed (maybe I just want one) but if I get one which one do I really get.
EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style Base Howa, Weatherby Vanguard Matte Short Action (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=147936) [IMG]Sights, Optics and Lasers[/IMG]
or
EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Howa, Weatherby Vanguard Matte Short Action (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=341815)[IMG]Sights, Optics and Lasers[/IMG]

"He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done" - Leonardo Da Vinci.
berto255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 18:45   #2
AZBru88

The reason I went with a one piece rail is because 1) shooting a 300win mag (lots of recoil compared to a 223), my rail is pinned to my action (for long range precision shooting) so it won't move.
Why do you want a 8-32 power scope on a 223? If your using it for coyote or chucks you want a lower power. I put a 3.5 - 15 Nightforce on my 300. I've seen a lot of guys go with over powered scopes...really not needed on a 223. But of course thats just my 2 cents, its your money make sure you get what you want. You might want to check out Vortex scope line, lots of bang for the buck. Best of luck its always fun putting together a rifle system. Best of luck...Bru

Last edited by AZBru88; 06-08-2010 at 18:46..
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 18:52   #3
berto255

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
The reason I went with a one piece rail is because 1) shooting a 300win mag (lots of recoil compared to a 223), my rail is pinned to my action (for long range precision shooting) so it won't move.
Why do you want a 8-32 power scope on a 223? If your using it for coyote or chucks you want a lower power. I put a 3.5 - 15 Nightforce on my 300. I've seen a lot of guys go with over powered scopes...really not needed on a 223. But of course thats just my 2 cents, its your money make sure you get what you want. You might want to check out Vortex scope line, lots of bang for the buck. Best of luck its always fun putting together a rifle system. Best of luck...Bru
The reason of the 8-32 scope is that in the past I always bought for the moment, meaning one use only. I'm thinking for future use or longer distance shooting with bigger caliber (300 win mag, 7mm or some else). I can always take this scope of this rifle and put it in anotherone. What do you mean pin to your action. And what would the 20MOA make any difference below 250 yards with a 223

Last edited by berto255; 06-08-2010 at 18:53..
Old 06-08-2010, 19:17   #4
AZBru88

Quote:
What do you mean pin to your action. And what would the 20MOA make any difference below 250 yards with a 223
Two ways to pin an a rail to your action. One have a gun smith drill and place pins at each end of your rail into your action.
The other cheap way, make an X in between your mounting screws with a dremel (deep enough to give epoxy something to bite to)do front and back of your action and rail (matching) Use a good marine grade epoxy. You will have to heat your rail to remove it from the gun. Don't use much and wipe off excess.
20 MOA rail depends on your scope and the number of clicks up/down it has. I used a 20MOA rail on my 300, with my scope I have adjustment from 100-1000+ yards. Sorry don't know much about your scope. You really won't need a 20 MOA if your shooting under 250 yards.
Good DVD that explains a lot about long range shooting
But check out the long range forum here and the forums at the Best of the west too. Great info on both.
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 21:17   #5
berto255

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
Two ways to pin an a rail to your action. One have a gun smith drill and place pins at each end of your rail into your action.
The other cheap way, make an X in between your mounting screws with a dremel (deep enough to give epoxy something to bite to)do front and back of your action and rail (matching) Use a good marine grade epoxy. You will have to heat your rail to remove it from the gun. Don't use much and wipe off excess.
20 MOA rail depends on your scope and the number of clicks up/down it has. I used a 20MOA rail on my 300, with my scope I have adjustment from 100-1000+ yards. Sorry don't know much about your scope. You really won't need a 20 MOA if your shooting under 250 yards.
Good DVD that explains a lot about long range shooting
But check out the long range forum here and the forums at the Best of the west too. Great info on both.
Fine with true target dot on the 2nd focal plane (3/16 inches at 100 yards on 32)
One-piece 30mm mounting tube
Field Of View: 9.3 feet (8) - 2.5 feet (32) at 100 yards
Side Focus parallax adjustment: 10 yards - infinity
Exit Pupil: 5.5mm (8) - 1.37mm (32)
Fast-focus eyepiece
1/8 M.O.A. fully exposed (target-style) windage and elevation adjustments
Windage/elevation adjustment range: 40 inches at 100 yards; over-all
Matte black finish
Includes one FREE 3-inch matching sunshade
Dry-nitrogen filled; 100% water-proof/fog-proof, shock-proof construction
--------------------------
This means only 20" from center of reticle each way (up, left, down and right)

Last edited by berto255; 06-08-2010 at 21:19..
Old 06-13-2010, 18:46   #6
berto255

Range Update

Sights, Optics and Lasers
Sights, Optics and Lasers
First we set the target at 100 yards and squeezed the first round (Remington UMC 55GR MC .223) and nothing (no visible bullet strike), second round and nothing, third round and nothing. So we moved the target all the way to 25 yards. The board was about 2'x4' and I had this sheet in the bottom (pix). First round was about almost 1.5 feet from center of the board.
So I think I made like a 1.5 MOA adjustment and I got the first 3 shots to the left in a nice clover leaf pattern at 10 o'clock.
4th round after maybe 2 or 3 clicks adjustment (remember my scope is 1/8" per click).
5th round was an unknown adjustment; I know it was a lot because I crank the dial like maybe a couple of MOA's.
The 6th was right on top of the red bullseye and two more (7th & 8th) right after that (very nice cloverleaf).
So we moved to 50 yards and I got two more (9th & 10th) right in the middle (BULLSEYE) after maybe a couple of MOA's of elevation adjustment.
My dad, an ex-military officer, has been retired for about 15 years. He is right handed but left eye dominant, he took the rifle from me and stood up and shot (11th) at 3 o'clock on the red. Not too bad for an old man and a rookie shooter (me).
I feel very happy with my performance, my first rifle, my first built and my first time shooting a center fire rifle. Kudos Weatherby.

Last edited by berto255; 06-13-2010 at 18:49..