SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2010, 21:27   #1
G27Chief
Lifetime Membership

158gr Ny-clads back in my j frame

Finally came across a new box of 158gr +P SWCHP, that has been my favored defensive round for years. replaced my hydra-shock and CCI 135's with this street pr oven load.

Do any of you choose this round?
Old 06-09-2010, 20:11   #2
Buckeye63

Great find !!! Simple, but very effective !!!
Buckeye63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 20:16   #3
BL33D 4 M3
SDMF

I have this from Buffalo Bore:
Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.)

Its unjacketed lead. I also have the Gold Dot 135 grain +P short barrel ammo. I like both.
BL33D 4 M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 19:23   #4
G27Chief
Lifetime Membership

I have a hard time finding the CCI short barrel load around here.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:03   #5
den888

I have old 125 gr Federal Nyclads (non +P) in my snubbies. Excellent round for SD/HD.
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:46   #6
BL33D 4 M3
SDMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27Chief View Post
I have a hard time finding the CCI short barrel load around here.
Not the cheapest, but in stock...

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?co...R%20HP%2020/BO
BL33D 4 M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:56   #7
the perfesser

The +P short barrel ammo just kicks this intermediate-level shooter too much to inspire any hopes of accuracy or rapid follow-up shots. And I got distracted from extensive testing of (recent manufacture) standard pressure 125 gr. Federal Nyclads in my 442 when Hornady introduced the standard pressure 110 gr. .38 Special Critical Defense line. The former is not for purchase in many shops. The latter is. So my dual testing continues.... Does anyone else have thoughts re comparing these two brands of ammo?
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:03   #8
LSP972

Perfesser, I don't think it makes much difference. We're talking a 2" barrel at very close ranges.

Unfortunately, the actual shootings I have knowledge of/experience with only include one J frame; that was inside a car, dope buy gone bad, and our guy used an M-38 with Glaser Safety Slugs (old ones; this was in the early 80s). He's on here at times, maybe he will see this and chime in.

As I recall, the performance of these were not too impressive, but our guy walked away from it and the bad guy went to the hospital, so I guess they worked well enough.

I have been carrying a J frame of one sort or another, for back-up/off duty (and occasionally primary) use for almost 30 years. I have always leaned toward the old FBI load; a 158gr lead SWCHP; because it has good history. The reports on the CCI 135gr "short-barrel load" have been mainly positive, and it does indeed have less muzzle flash than anything else I've tried; to include that 125gr standard pressure NyClad that we all loved ten years ago.

That Gold Dot 135gr +P .38 is what I have been carrying for a couple of years now. I feel no pressing need to change, so that's why I haven't made the effort to procure any of the new NyClad stuff. But I WILL get some eventually; especially since they're making it in 158 trim now. I hadn't heard that.

Again, while ammunition selection is an important topic, I personally just do not give it much thought when these belly guns are concerned. Hell, I remember back when a Speer 148gr hollow base wadcutter, loaded backwards in the case over five grains of Red Dot powder, was considered "the shiznit" for a Cheif's Special...

"The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else... isn't."
-pangris
LSP972 is offline   Reply With Quote