Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:26   #1
Concealed30

Sight Installation

Ok I have a dilemma, I really dont want to ship my slide to GLOCKMEISTER and have to pay for shipping there and back. $5.00 priority mail from me plus $200.00 insurance cause it will be brand new slide never even shot, plus 12.00 bucks for them to return ship. so basically 100.00 bucks total. At the local gun shows my glock guy will do it for free but the next show is not till august. I guess I will just suck it up and wait, $85.00 for meprolight true-dots installed total......And I can watch him do it on the spot. Im not cheap I just dont like someone I have never seen working on my weapon and I do not trust UPS, FED-ex or any other shipping company to handle my brand new slide, and not lose it cause serial numbers will not match if for some reason this happens. What would you do? Thanks for your thought in advance...G30
Old 06-09-2010, 13:44   #2
RayB
Retired Member

I've never had Fed-Ex or USPS Priority Air lose anything--any thing! And I've been around 55-years...

You can also contact Glock in Smyrna, GA, and they'll install Glock Night Sights (made with Meprolight lamps), Meprolights, and from what I understand, Trijicons for you, at a very fair price...

http://teamglock.com/contactus.htm

Customer service is consistently rated as outstanding!

You can also do it yourself, if you're handy, and careful, and know your way around a tool box...

Here's a snipet from my night sight review...

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and usually have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 16:26   #3
Concealed30

Thanks Ray, I'm good with anything on my Glocks as far as working on them, I have an armorers manual and Im sure I could do it. I detail strip any glock no problem. Just never messed with sights plus no sight tool, they run about 100 bucks otherwise I would do it myself I am quite sure its fairly simple just take my time...But I do not see the need for me to buy a 100 tool to put on 75 dollar sights on. Oh BTW - Your Not Getting Older, Your Getting Better
Old 06-09-2010, 17:04   #4
RayB
Retired Member

Thanks for the kind words!

I hear you about the sight pusher.

You know, I don't even know if it's necessary...

A non-marring punch can be used, along with a hammer and a delicate touch, to "drift" the rear sight into place.

An ordinary vice or C-clamp may do you. Just use cardboard, tape, leather, etc., to prevent scratches or dings.

Some sight brands do require fitting for the rear sight, while other do not.

Some rear sights combine a set screw and Loctite to secure them in the dovetail.

Many sights come with the necessary installation tools, like XS and Trijicon.

Most shops eyeball-center the rear sight on the slide, and that's that!

The front sight is pretty straight-forward. Still, I've had to redo every one I have--except the OEM flanged one--and mine stay put!

I would be remiss in my duty's as a GT Brother, not to refer you to AmeriGlo, while you consider aftermarket sights for your Glock...

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...l-sights/glock

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

Let us know what you do and how it goes!

Good luck!

--Ray
Old 06-09-2010, 17:17   #5
tk47

What I did in this situation was just buy the sight pusher and the cheapo front sight tool, all in all ran about 120 with shipping. My rationale behind this was that I'm gonna have to replace the sights at least once a decade anyway and I have several friends that already own or are planning on buying a glock in the future. My going rate is $20 or a case of beer whichever they decide to bring over for a sight swap.
tk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 18:22   #6
Concealed30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
Thanks for the kind words!

I hear you about the sight pusher.

You know, I don't even know if it's necessary...

A non-marring punch can be used, along with a hammer and a delicate touch, to "drift" the rear sight into place.

An ordinary vice or C-clamp may do you. Just use cardboard, tape, leather, etc., to prevent scratches or dings.

Some sight brands do require fitting for the rear sight, while other do not.

Some rear sights combine a set screw and Loctite to secure them in the dovetail.

Many sights come with the necessary installation tools, like XS and Trijicon.

Most shops eyeball-center the rear sight on the slide, and that's that!

The front sight is pretty straight-forward. Still, I've had to redo every one I have--except the OEM flanged one--and mine stay put!

I would be remiss in my duty's as a GT Brother, not to refer you to AmeriGlo, while you consider aftermarket sights for your Glock...

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...l-sights/glock

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

Let us know what you do and how it goes!

Good luck!

--Ray
I like the way the operater looks with no white outline on the rear but on the front. This is a great option for fast target aqusition or even point shooting it looks like it would make you see the FS first which is what I like. Is the white embedded or does bore cleaner affect it? I also like the green/green with white outline on all 3 dots also. Its gonna be between these and Mepros. I have heard from more than a few people the the trijicon white outline smears(including your self Ray) with cleaner. I had the Tru-Glo TFO's on my EDC I just sold and loved them but I want a longer sight radius.............G30
Old 06-09-2010, 18:54   #7
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concealed30 View Post
Is the white embedded or does bore cleaner affect it?
G30

AmeriGlo uses white PVC O-rings for markers, not paint, so ordinary cleaning methods should not be an issue. There have been no reports of problems...

--Ray
Old 06-09-2010, 18:59   #8
chad1972

which armorer did you see at the show last weekend? I was there and had the guy do my ghost rocket. I would wait. or the one armorer is located in clearmont,
florida glockers #147

Last edited by chad1972; 06-09-2010 at 19:01..
chad1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 22:02   #9
Wash-ar15

Next to Texas,I think fl has more glockers per capita than anywhere else. Buy the sites online and see if you can find a local guy with a tool that will install them for you.

I've helped plenty myself.

look for a hometown gun forum
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:27   #10
Concealed30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1972 View Post
which armorer did you see at the show last weekend? I was there and had the guy do my ghost rocket. I would wait. or the one armorer is located in clearmont,
Andy at "custom rods and guns", he is located out off south florida somewhere, I beleive ft. lauderdale. He always has whatever I need and never have to place an order, everything at the table thats why I like him, he has done alot of work on many of my glocks. I am just gonna wait till the next show. I will call him and make sure he has what I want 1 month before the show and have him bring them with him and put aside for me.......I can deal w/o NS for a month or so.. Replacing my EDC from G30 to G30SF thats all.....G30
Old 06-10-2010, 14:45   #11
RayB
Retired Member

Not so fast, partner!

Have you made a final decision on sights?

You do have the luxury of time now...

I'd really like to try the new AmeriGlo GL-212-OR with the markerless, yellow-lamped, Pro Operator rear sight on my trusty G21! This set up seems to combine the best elements of XS and Operator, with the front sight "pop" of a FO set up!

--Ray

Last edited by RayB; 06-28-2010 at 16:52..
Old 07-10-2010, 18:10   #12
table

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
I've never had Fed-Ex or USPS Priority Air lose anything--any thing! And I've been around 55-years...

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and usually have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

--Ray
i have the stock OEM nite sights on my 26 and was thinking of replacing the front site. i looked at the bottom side of the slide and noticed the front sight looked like it had been melted on or something. is there an easy way of removing it and putting on another front sight? could i remove it without damaging the OEM front sight? i was also thinking of getting the GL-212-OR. thanks

Last edited by table; 07-10-2010 at 18:11..
table is offline   Reply With Quote