SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-10-2010, 22:57   #1
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

OK *how* is this possible?

Just got a new AK... I am very happy with it. I also decided to buy a scope with it... I figured, this AK is really going to be a SHTF/live changing event-type rifle , I wanted something in a Bigboy-caliber , I have plenty of assorted .22LR's for plinking/pleasure and two really nice, show-off shotguns for HD/Hunting. So I wanted to leave the store with some sort of glass mounted on it, and take advantage of their bore-sighting, so I know I have a scoped, 7.62 bad mother trucker rifle ready to rock and roll if necessary.

So I would up with an attractive looking but probably not really that good NcStar RedDot and Laser sight... it was around $80+ and the store had MANY selections of NcStar, and a few other selections. NcStar in every size shape color denomination was the order of battle here. And I started looking at the "square" rear type sights, that have the square glass perpendicular to the rest of the scope.. and I liked them but they looked so tiny! I mean they started at like $40, he told me to look at the $59.99 one(s), and I'm like shoot, these things are literally miniature... I mean I would call them "mini" reflex/red-dot/etc. scopes... so maybe we can step it up? And I saw a $69.99 one that was nice but then saw a substantial looking, Red Dot plus Laser, more looking like an ACOG/CompM2 type sight, and it was $10 bucks more at $79.99 so I figured why not.

Now when I got home I'm wiping down the new rifle, I don't know enough about it to try messing with a complete field strip etc. so I'm trying to spray and clean with some sprays, oils, etc. and use a bunch of Hoppe's wipes and my fav RemOil Wipes with Teflon, just to clean and lube it a little. Thts when it hits me, I really should have bought a real scope, like a magnified scope, because although I realize an AK is not a sniper rifle on anyone's scorecard it can shoot decently far, right? So I start googling and thinking maybe I'll need a real scope, or at least a LITTLE better than what I got, but what the hell, I do like what I have ,so I dismount the scope and...

...HEy! I have a brand new S&W M&P 15-22 sitting in the hizzzouse! Just chilliN! It's got a quad-rail etc. and it's only got the "factory" "iron sights!" Why not try it out! Worst comes to worse it WONT work, but it should right??

So it snapped right on. I would deign to say it actually liked the S&W rail better than my new AK's factory rail. Snapped right on. and I mounted it a little bit 'forward' on the rail, because I was't about to start messin or removing the S&W's iron sight...

Would you believe, I just literally snap this NcStar red-dot laser on...which was "bore-sighted" for my new AK-47, and REMOVED and installed once or twice from the AK, and then just THROWN on the S&W... and put in the middle of the rail, and it completely is co-witnessing the factory iron sights.... amazingly eerie.

I mean, the red dot is projected directly onto the front iron sight, visible perfectly through the rear "peep/circle" site, and when I project the laser in addition to the red dot, the whole damn mess lines up redonkulus. I couldn't actually fire it, was inside da hizzouse, but it LOOKED perfect, I'm talking like Gunnery Sgt Swagger-style right on.

I am obviously not very skilled in this field, i know HOW to shoot something lined up but not how to sight in scopes/make adjustments/etc.. I admit it.... but this seems like way more than lucky boresighting, no? Thanks!

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 23:26   #2
hoffy

Stranger things have happened, like not knowing how to find out how to strip an AK(well that wasn't nice) but red dot sights make shooting very quick, everything is in one plane, you do not have to line up front, rear sight and target, you can't focus on all three so you focus on the front sight. Some red dots have the problem of being inaccurate unless the dot is in the center, high end scopes(and some cheap ones) like Aimpoint,(not cheap!) do not have this problem. I have a 2x Aimpoint w/2moa dot on my M1-A Scout,(scope is in front of the action) and can hit head sized objects at 200+ yards plus, very quickly. I have a 1x Aimpoint co-witnessed on my AR though, and target acquisition is incredibly fast, I can see why so many GIs have swing out,QR, magnifiers on their rifles in war zones. With a little practice, and concentration, you should be able to hit torso sized objects at 300 meters with your AK with iron sights, sight picture, breathe control, trigger squeeze........... oh and trust your wobble, guess that is sight picture......

Last edited by hoffy; 06-10-2010 at 23:27.. Reason: forgot...
hoffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 16:49   #3
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Bump, after all that typing, worthy of a Doctoral Dissertation, no more wisdom offered?

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote