Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:18   #1
abq87120

No G23s!

There is actually a question at the bottom of this rant if you want to skip the blah-blah in the middle.

I went to buy a Gen3 G23 with my GSSF card in hand yesterday. NO G23's of any generation. Haven't had them in a while. I was told that most likely, all the participating dealers would be getting will be Gen4 G23s. And I will probably have to wait until August to get one of those. THANKS, GLOCK! That took some planning.

I do not want a Gen4 Glock. I want a Gen3 so I can use interchangeable barrels. G32, 9mm conversion.

Also, Glock has a demonstrated history of letting their customers work out the bugs in their guns. I bought a G30 and just sold it to finance the G23. I personally did not have any issues with the G30 other than the myth of the 10-round magazine. Try one of those in a fire fight, lol. Couldn't load the tenth round. But when you could, you can't rack the slide. The tenth bullet puts too much pressure on it. But plenty of other people did have G30 issues on this forum. And I probably put fewer than 400 rounds through mine; Not enough perhaps to have the issues I read about from others. Good riddance.

Some G32 owners are currently "debugging" some of Glock's issues with FTFs caused by some versions a new magazine. My own shooting instructor is dumping a brand spanking new G33 because of FTFs. I'll bet he only put about 500-600 rounds through that gun. He is losing faith in Glock big time. In the past, he promoted them to his students because of the fabled reliability. I bought mine because of his recommendation. Operative phrase here is "In the past...". He doesn't want to hear excuses. He believes what he sees. And so do I.

I do not want to be a guinea pig. I am a software developer and see the same thing in the software industry. Cash flow is King. S/W publishers will put pure crap on the shelves that they know are massively broken just to get a quicker return on the huge investment it takes to develop software. "We'll fix that in the next update." What a laugh. I know. I've written it and seen it go out the door before I had a chance to fix some of the more serious bugs that QA found. Even with Microsoft, I will not spend my money for new software until the v2.0 version or at least "SP2" is published. I know better.

Does this sound like "This problem is well known and the fix is ...". Could that be a quote from this web site?

I'm not in the mood to go through this with an EDC. I might really, really, REALLY regret it.

So, I will consider a Gen4 G23 next year. After you guys tell Glock what doesn't work with this gun. In the mean time here's the question...

Will a Gen3 G32 barrel still drop into a Gen4 G23? Assuming there are no Gen4 G32s yet.

Glock does such a poor job of keeping their web site up to date I didn't even bother to look. Their gun designers must also maintain that site.

Dan in ABQ
abq87120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:14   #2
voyager4520
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by abq87120 View Post
Will a Gen3 G32 barrel still drop into a Gen4 G23? Assuming there are no Gen4 G32s yet.
The only difference I can imagine is if the cut-out in the barrel lug for the guide rod is different, and I don't own a Gen4 so I don't know if they're different yet. From what I understand Lone Wolf Dist is telling their customers that their current 40-9mm conversion barrels will work in Gen4 guns. So I'd assume that the guide rod base isn't an issue there. I don't think I'd carry a Gen3 .357SIG barrel in a Gen4 .40 though unless I knew the barrel lug cut-outs were the exact same dimensions.

You need to find a dealer who's willing to go to the trouble of finding the gun you want. You could order a Gen3 G23 from another gun store and have it transferred to one of your local stores, of course you'd pay a transfer fee to the local store you pick it up from, plus shipping.

I had a similar experience trying to find my G27. Nobody had one and most of them gave me the line "well it'll probably be a couple of months, but we can order one for you". I went to another local store and I know the owner is a very good guy. I asked him if he could order a G27 for me, he said "yes, I'll call everyone I know and I'll have it here by the end of the week". So I placed my order with him and three days later he called me and said "your gun is here, I'm running the background check as I speak". He didn't charge me a transfer fee, just $550(MSRP for most models) + $13 shipping + tax. I think he bought it from another shop owner at their cost, or possibly that the two of them split the profit from the sale. I don't know exactly but one thing I do know is next time I need any firearm his shop will be my first stop.

You could go the other way around and get a Gen3 G32, then get a manufacturer G23 barrel and .40 followers for your magazines(or seperate G23 magazines), plus the 40-9 G23 conversion barrel and Glock 9mm magazines.

Last edited by voyager4520; 06-17-2010 at 01:24..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 16:41   #3
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

Check with GT'er ( big68 ) he is a dealer and has helped me out before.
Old 06-17-2010, 19:47   #4
deathpriest

In another thread, Ed's claim they have some and with gills

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1232626

Last edited by deathpriest; 06-17-2010 at 19:50..
deathpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 14:10   #5
abq87120

Solved my Gen4 problem. It's a two month wait for a Gen4 and a two month wait for an order from Glock. I ordered a new GSSF priced blue label Gen3 G23. Yahoo!

Dan in ABQ
abq87120 is offline   Reply With Quote