Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups


Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 19:17   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 293
Silly 1911 magazine question

Most 1911's I've seen have a mag that when in the gun is flat / flush with the bottom of the gun. Others I've seen have something on the end of the mag that extends down past the magwell(?).

What is that, and what is it for?
SIG-SOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 19:19   #2
Jim Watson
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,666
Base pad, bump pad, drop pad... various names.
The purpose is to give something to push against to seat the magazine positively without pinching the hand. Also acts to cushion the magazine when dropped in an emergency reload, but that is not the main benefit.
I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.
Jim Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 19:35   #3
Rent this space
Quack's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,684
some mags are that way so they have 8rds instead of 7rds.
the extended base pads also help inserting a mag into a gun that has a magwell.

Last edited by Quack; 06-11-2010 at 19:36..
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08.

GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups

Users Currently Online: 758
196 Members
562 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42