Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:27   #1
bac1023

Guncrafter "No Name" range report...

I got a chance to shoot my new Guncrafter No Name yesterday afternoon. It was a great day and I took this 1911, along with my new Desert Eagle 1911, and a few other handguns to the range.

I had 200 rounds of 45ACP with me, and 150 went through the Guncrafter, along with one mag of Remington Golden Sabers. The gun performed flawlessly. I was extremely impressed with everything about it.

I usually do comparison range reports, but I was low on ammo and I also wanted to put a box through the Desert Eagle.

Anyway, here's a breakdown of my impressions of the Guncrafter. I felt it prudent to give a more in depth perception of this gun, because they don't have nearly as many guns on the market, or in GT member's hands, as other high end 1911 builders.

Accuracy: This gun impressed from the first shot to the last. I shot at 15 yards, 25 yards, and a two mags at 50 yards with this 1911. I don't pretend to be an overly great shot, but this gun did very well for me. On a hand rest at 15 yards, my groups were 1 to 2", at 25 yards, I stayed within 3" or so. That's good for me and about as well as I can do with any of my 1911s or target pistols. At 50 yards, even though the sight nearly takes up the whole target, I was keeping my shots on paper and many in the black. In the hands of a better shot, this 1911 could really impress. I'd also like to see what it could do from a Ransom, because I shoot this about as well as my Baer SRP or RRA. Both of which have 1.5" 50 yard accuracy guarantees. I'm not saying the Guncrafter will do this, but it didn't show me any signs that it couldn't.

Trigger: In a word, fantastic. The trigger breaks clean. If I were a guessing man, I'd say 4lbs. No creep, 'nuff said.

Build Quality: Second to none. The solidity of this gun reminds me of my Baer SRP, Rock River Limited Match, and Unertl DLX, which means its a step up over Ed Brown, Wilson, and Nighthawk, in this aspect. Its extremely tight and sturdy and the lockup is like a bank vault. Nothing moves, period. Like the Baer and RRA, a wrench is required to turn the bushing. The thumb safety requires a hefty push to engage, but its not to the point of being a nuisance. Some 1911s scream "high end quality" the minute you pick it up, and this Guncrafter is certainly one of them.

Reliability: I'm not sure 158 rounds allows me to comment, but the gun did not hiccup once. I fired 150 FMJ and 8 JHP. As with other 1911s in its class, you don't feel the slide cycle while firing.

Appearance: This is not a flashy 1911 and its not supposed to be. What it is, is a very clean, business-like 1911. There are no billboards and no frills, other than top slide serrations, which I love. Even the recoil plug is smooth. I also love the look of a solid aluminum trigger.

Finish: Like I said, there is no flashy finish here. The black Melonite it has is very fitting a 1911 with this intended use. This is a duty focused gun and the finish further spells that out. I've been told that its very wear resistant. Its completely matte in appearance, almost like a parkerizing.

Features: The sights are Heinie Slant Pro night sights, that incorporate a two dot system. I've got used to that over time. Some may find it tricky at first. The checkering is a coarse 15lpi. However, the spikes are not as deep as you might think, and, while I'll say up front that I like coarse checkering, it didn't bother me in the least. The grips are OD Alumigrips with the Guncrafter logo. Between these grips and the checkering, my hold on the gun was totally secure even with sweaty palms on a hot day. The radius under the trigger guard has been tightened to a degree for a higher grip. The slide release is the shelf style, but much more subtle than some others.

Exclusivity: This is something I love about the gun, in that there aren't many on the market. Like Luke Volkmann at Volkmann Custom, Alex Zimmermann at Guncrafter has only been at this a few years and neither has an operation even close in size to Baer or Wilson. I will need a couple of you to get one of these though.

Summary: What more can I say? As you've noticed I couldn't be happier with this 1911. Its both unique and plain at the same time. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm so glad Guncrafter brought a gun to market that passed all my crazy 1911 collection criteria and enabled me to own one. While this adjective is used frequently in the 1911 forum, this gun is SOLID. You could hammer nails with this thing. I highly recommend a "No Name" for somebody who wants a 1911 as clean as possible, and built as well as any semi custom on the market. Guncrafter is the real deal.

For those looking for target pics, you're going to be disappointed, as that's not my style. I haven't posted one target in the six years I've been a member here. I will, however, post one pic of a dirty gun, which I never have before.

Its a big step for me.

1911 Forums
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:27   #2
bac1023

Here are my obligatory standard pics of the Guncrafter No Name. Enjoy.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Once again, many thanks to drc767 for making this possible. He pulled some strings to get the gun to my house in time for this range trip. Great service, great price.

Thanks again, Dave, and I hope you keep one of these for yourself. You won't be disappointed and neither will anybody else who gets one.

Thanks for your interest in my report.

Last edited by bac1023; 06-13-2010 at 10:28..
Old 06-13-2010, 10:48   #3
Quack
Rent this space

NICE!!!

so far it sounds like a good cherry poppin gun weekend

Quote:
I will, however, post one pic of a dirty gun, which I never have before.

Its a big step for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Quack; 06-13-2010 at 10:48..
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:51   #4
glock2740
Gun lover.

Awesome. I want one BAD. I figured you'd really enjoy shooting it. When I was talking with Alex awhile back on the phone about the gun, he invited me out to shoot it. I must take him up on his offer. I'm glad it's a real shooter. I figured it would be. Congrats again on a great gun.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:55   #5
Ruggles

Nice indeed. Nice looking 1911. How did the Desert Eagle do?
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:03   #6
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Nice indeed. Nice looking 1911. How did the Desert Eagle do?
Thanks Ruggles.

The DE was flawless, though it was only 50 rounds. Of course, the Guncrafter stole the show, as it should.

I'll give my impressions of DE separately in another thread.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:46   #7
drc767
Navy CSAR

Great range report, Brian. I am glad it shoots as good as it feels in the hand. I have not had a chance to shoot one yet (this was my initial order with GI), but I do have the other No Name and an American that should be here next week. If one of those two sit around here too long, I may end up pulling it out of the "sale safe" and transferring it to the "personal safe".... Not to beat a dead horse, but I really liked what I saw with this pistol. I got the only two No Names Alex had in stock, but I will probably place another order soon, maybe with a standard NN, a Bobtailed NN and a Commander NN. If I don't keep the NN I have coming next week, I will definately keep one from the next order. Alex is really easy to deal with and really bent over backwards on your pistol to get it to me on Thursday so you could shoot it this weekend. So far, I am all thumbs up for Guncrafter and am happy I decided to take on this line of pistols. They are a high quality pistol for a reasonable price.
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:56   #8
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Thanks Ruggles.

The DE was flawless, though it was only 50 rounds. Of course, the Guncrafter stole the show, as it should.

I'll give my impressions of DE separately in another thread.
OK thanks, something about the Desert Eagle keeps drawing my attention to it. I guess I might as well go ahead and give in and look at getting one.....
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 13:13   #9
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc767 View Post
Great range report, Brian. I am glad it shoots as good as it feels in the hand. I have not had a chance to shoot one yet (this was my initial order with GI), but I do have the other No Name and an American that should be here next week. If one of those two sit around here too long, I may end up pulling it out of the "sale safe" and transferring it to the "personal safe".... Not to beat a dead horse, but I really liked what I saw with this pistol. I got the only two No Names Alex had in stock, but I will probably place another order soon, maybe with a standard NN, a Bobtailed NN and a Commander NN. If I don't keep the NN I have coming next week, I will definately keep one from the next order. Alex is really easy to deal with and really bent over backwards on your pistol to get it to me on Thursday so you could shoot it this weekend. So far, I am all thumbs up for Guncrafter and am happy I decided to take on this line of pistols. They are a high quality pistol for a reasonable price.
Absolutely Dave.

I haven't talked to him personally, but Alex seems like a great guy to do business with. Maybe you could send him a link to this review of his 1911.
Old 06-13-2010, 13:33   #10
ijacek

Quote:
For those looking for target pics, you're going to be disappointed, as that's not my style. I haven't posted one target in the six years I've been a member here. I will, however, post one pic of a dirty gun, which I never have before.

Its a big step for me.

1911 Forums
How are you not ashamed of that dirty, nasty carpet? Bac you slipping!
Old 06-13-2010, 13:35   #11
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijacek View Post
How are you not ashamed of that dirty, nasty carpet? Bac you slipping!

That's a rag, my friend.
Old 06-13-2010, 13:55   #12
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Nice review.
Old 06-13-2010, 14:31   #13
ijacek

Quote:
That's a rag, my friend.
Well, from my angle it looks like one of those cheapo outdoor type carpets. One that has been walked on a lot.

Either way, that is highly unacceptable. You don't have a "Range only carpet" ? Don't your guns deserve a soft, plushy lining when they go out to play?
Old 06-13-2010, 15:05   #14
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Absolutely Dave.

I haven't talked to him personally, but Alex seems like a great guy to do business with. Maybe you could send him a link to this review of his 1911.
I will do that....I have to call him tomorrow, anyway.
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 15:20   #15
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijacek View Post
Well, from my angle it looks like one of those cheapo outdoor type carpets. One that has been walked on a lot.

Either way, that is highly unacceptable. You don't have a "Range only carpet" ? Don't your guns deserve a soft, plushy lining when they go out to play?
Old 06-13-2010, 15:20   #16
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc767 View Post
I will do that....I have to call him tomorrow, anyway.
Great news Dave.
Old 06-13-2010, 15:34   #17
Tactical black

I'm glad to hear it went well that ones captured my attention it's a great looking gun with simple features just the way I like a 1911 to be and it sounds like the quality is high so maybe in the near future I will own one.
Tactical black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 15:45   #18
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical black View Post
I'm glad to hear it went well that ones captured my attention it's a great looking gun with simple features just the way I like a 1911 to be and it sounds like the quality is high so maybe in the near future I will own one.
Ditto, but I would have to go hardchrome. If GC isn't willing to work with you on the hardchrome, then I'd just drive up the road and drop it off at Metaloy. I'd also ask Alex if they couldn't flush crown the barrel too.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 15:46   #19
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical black View Post
If you're in the market for a top notch duty 1911, I recommend a No Name. Its awesome.
Old 06-13-2010, 15:47   #20
Tactical black

Quote:
If you're in the market for a top notch duty 1911, I recommend a No Name. Its awesome.
It certainly has my attention
Tactical black is offline   Reply With Quote