Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2010, 13:39   #1
BlayGlock

Les Baer TRS Uppdate

This week I had the mother-in-law and three nieces and nephews at the house (aged 4, 6, and 8) so needless to say by Friday I needed some trigger time. I took my Thunder Ranch Special out to the range and put my 500th round through it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
What can I say, this gun has been amazing. I have had it about 3 weeks and have carried it every day since. During these first 500 rounds it has not had a single malfunction of any kind. <o:p></o:p>
I shot JHPs from Speer, Federal, Hornady, and Winchester, Federal, Winchester, Remington, and PMC Ball ammo, and my own FMJ and LRN 230gr hand loads some of which were loaded to nuclear level. Not a single problem. I shot 300 rounds the first day that I had it without cleaning it, the other 200 were over 2 sessions and I thoroughly cleaned it after each shooting session.<o:p></o:p>
I was astounded at how tight this gun is built. It took considerably more effort to rack the slide and to deactivate the thumb safety than any other 1911 I have ever had. Reports of Baers hard fit are not overstated. Overall the fit and finish on this gun is first rate, the bluing is beautiful and even. You can tell a considerable amount of time has been put into these 1911s building them by hand and it shows in the final product. The hand checkering is well done, and many of the parts of the gun had the serial number etched into them, it seems they pair the parts together before they even start to file on them. I would not be surprised if they spent a few hours hand fitting the gun lock that came with the gun <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><o:p></o:p>
The sights are nice and bright and provide a great sight picture. The front post is narrow enough to allow a little daylight on each side as you look down the sight plane. I have found this helps me when shooting multiple targets quickly like in IDPA. <o:p></o:p>
The trigger on my TRS is also great. No creep whatsoever, just a very crisp break. It was a little heavy out of the box for my taste (I’m spoiled by my Texas 9's 2.5 lb comp trigger), but after putting these first 500 rounds through it is has lightened up a little and is just about right for a carry gun at about 4.25 lbs. <o:p></o:p>
The accuracy of the gun is exceptional, and by the time I had gotten a feel for the gun I could keep a fist sized group offhand at 20 yards and all my shots COM at 50 yards on a CHL qualifier target which is about the best I can do at the moment and is plenty fine for my shooting needs since I am not a bullseye shooter. <o:p></o:p>
The only change I have made is to put on standard thickness grips which help me get a better hold on the gun. Also, as a side note, John a Pro Load told me these shipped with 3 7-rounds mags, but all of mine could hold 8 rounds with no feeding problems. In addition to those I used Kimber Kim-Pro and Wilson Combat mags during the "break-in" period all with no problems.<o:p></o:p>
Overall I am very happy with this purchase and my opinion after shooting is that the Les Baer TRS puts you at the point of diminishing returns in the semi-custom (limited production, semi-production or whatever you word police want to call it) market. You may spend more money, but you won’t be getting a "better" gun, just different in terms of build philosophy and aesthetics. <o:p></o:p>
The Baer TRS has a certain coolness factor to it, kind of like my dad's '70 Chevelle or my '72 Chevy Custom 10 I had in high school. I’m not much of an autophile so that is about the extent of a car analogy I could give. I have heard someone described Ed Brown as the BMW of the 1911 world but that is about all I recall. Feel free to add your own car analogy below.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums<o:p></o:p>
BlayGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 13:54   #2
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

TRS will be my next 1911.
Old 06-13-2010, 15:08   #3
drc767
Navy CSAR

I believe the TRS is the best "bang for the buck" semi-custom out there.....especially when they can be had for way under 2k.
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 15:37   #4
dakrat

nice report. I can shoot my TRS better with standard grips. I am around 3K+ rounds on mine and the slide lock-up is still tight. is break-in ever going to come?
Old 06-13-2010, 15:45   #5
Tactical black

The grips look nice.
Tactical black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 20:41   #6
willis68

I love mine as well, it is the only firearm that I have bought twice
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC
willis68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 20:43   #7
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc767 View Post
I believe the TRS is the best "bang for the buck" semi-custom out there.....especially when they can be had for way under 2k.
Its one of the best values for sure.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 21:03   #8
brzusa.1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
+1000. Congratulations to the OP, amazing handgun!
brzusa.1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 21:31   #9
Rinspeed
JAFO

The absolute only thing I am slightly disappointed in my TRS is the the brightness of the night sights. I even sent the slide back for them to check out and possibly return them to Trijicon for new vials. Les said they wouldn't replace them for free so I'm not really sure what to make of it.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 21:38   #10
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
The absolute only thing I am slightly disappointed in my TRS is the the brightness of the night sights. I even sent the slide back for them to check out and possibly return them to Trijicon for new vials. Les said they wouldn't replace them for free so I'm not really sure what to make of it.
How old are they? Doesn't Trijicon warranty them for 12 years?
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 22:09   #11
Ruggles

The TRS is a great basic no frills build for sure, everything you need and nothing your don't.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 22:10   #12
bladeandbarrel

I have had 3-4 TRS's and they are good guns for the money.
I always wonder why people think they are hand checkered, though.
That checkering comes right off a CNC machine like everyone elses. Just a bit "less finished".
bladeandbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 22:11   #13
bladeandbarrel

Oh yeah, I hate thin grips. Yuck..Love those TX grips.
bladeandbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 22:12   #14
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
If it ain't the top best buy, it would be hard not to find it near the very top of every bodies list.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 00:23   #15
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeandbarrel View Post
Oh yeah, I hate thin grips. Yuck..Love those TX grips.
I agree I am not the biggest fan of the thin grips, I switched them out on my TRS Comanche to the standard size grips.

I also agree I like the Texas grips, but then I like everything about Texas (except those lousy NFL Cowboys)
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:31   #16
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeandbarrel View Post
I always wonder why people think they are hand checkered, though.
That checkering comes right off a CNC machine like everyone elses. Just a bit "less finished".

I've read a couple different places that they are hand checkered but the CNC does all the lines so they just have to finish the checkering by hand.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:46   #17
Kinny

Nice indeed. I need to work my budget into one of these.

Club 1911 #060204 ~ Big Dawg #1202 ~ Black Rifle Club #1974 ~ H&K Club #1974
Kinny is offline   Reply With Quote