Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:03   #1
michael88

870 marine magnum

So i have decided on a remington 870. is the marine magnum worth the extra money? or should i just go with a 870 magnum or express?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." Cesare Beccaria
michael88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37   #2
Victoriagotagun

If you like the look of the Marine Magnum then it might be worth the extra money to you. I'm perfectly fine with my parked and blued 870's so the extra cost of a nickel finish isn't worth it to me.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:41   #3
WellArmedSheep
NRA Member

It depends on how diligent you are when it comes to maintenance. My 870 Express will rust if I don't keep oil on it. The finish on the Marine Magnum should be a little less maintenance-intensive.

I feel that shotguns should be parked or blued, and I'm not a fan of how the electroless nickel looks. I can appreciate its durability, though.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited by WellArmedSheep; 06-14-2010 at 11:41..
WellArmedSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:46   #4
michael88

i like the look, but 300 dollars more is a huge pill to swallow in terms of just liking th way something looks.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." Cesare Beccaria
Old 06-14-2010, 11:48   #5
Victoriagotagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael88 View Post
i like the look, but 300 dollars more is a huge pill to swallow in terms of just liking th way something looks.
You can always just get a new express or used 870 and get it refinished down the line.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:12   #6
aippi

Only if you are going to be around salt water and as some of the above guys said, are not prone to keeping your weapons maintained. A parkerized finish is fine, feed the finish some oil once in a while and it will prove as durable as any in that environment.

I am guessing that much of the cost of the Marine Magnum is the fact they only build a few. A quick look at the parts list on Remingtons web site will show you that the marine magnum stripped receiver cost $247. Well, the Express stripped receiver cost $247. I also notice that a new trigger for any 870 is $16 yet the new trigger for the Marine Magnum is $11. An Express Breech bolt is $97 and the Marine Magunm Breech bolt is $97. The Trigger plate assemblies as cost the same as the Express. So the cost of this weapon is not in proportion with the cost of the parts or labor, so you are paying more for reason we can only guess at. You have to decide if the finish makes the weapon worth more to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 13:35   #7
Hedo1

I kept one on my sailboat for about 10 years. I took it home with me every winter and gave it a good cleaning. Each spring it got a light coat of gun oil and stuck back in the locker on the boat. Never rusted and I only sailed in salt water (Atlantic).
Old 06-14-2010, 21:34   #8
michael88

so then the only upgrade is the finish. i was wondering if they were made with different or better parts. i just cant justify a 250 dollar increase for a finish.
Old 06-14-2010, 22:44   #9
aippi

It an 870. The finish and some of internal parts are plated as well. It is made for a marine invironment such as salt water. The salt air is hard on finishes. It does not sound like that is you intended use for it. If you are looking for an 870 with a low maintenance finish, check out some of the Poly Coated Tactical Models. The PC coat had some issues but those are resloved. You save a lot of money over the Marine Magnum and can put some upgrades on it or stock up on some ammo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:55   #10
mitchshrader
Deceased

if you smell ocean on the morning breeze, get the marine. otherwise, fuggedaboudit.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49   #11
michael88

i do live about 2 miles from the ocean....but my environment is hardly marine.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:20   #12
ckp_hokie

I just got one "almost" new for $500 and love it.
Tactical Shotguns
Glockers of the Old Dominion #1414
1911 Club #1414
The Sub Club #1414
ckp_hokie is offline   Reply With Quote