SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:52   #1
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Businesses that dress deer

What is their term? I know there are places that you take your animal and they'll do all the cutting and cleaning for you, I'm looking for one of those locally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:39   #2
vafish

Usually listed at meat processors around here.

Also a lot of smaller butcher shops will process deer.

Check to see if you have a Hunters for the Hungry in your area.

Our H4H has a list of deer processors on their web site.

http://h4hungry.org/process.htm

Oh and it's just my opinion and you probably don't want to hear it, but if you are going to kill the deer I think you should know how to field dress it, skin it, and process it into little packages of meat.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 06-17-2010 at 10:43..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:03   #3
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

I need a place that'll process deer and hogs for me, make my life easier.

Old 06-20-2010, 17:05   #4
noway

Do it yourselve and save money and probably get a very tricks and lessons out of it. Place you can try for location of proccessors are your local farm supply feed houses or small butcher shops.

Typically in TX/FL/TN you can find these guys all around during the months of October/November into late deer season
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:05   #5
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
I need a place that'll process deer and hogs for me, make my life easier.

Since you don't list your location we can't give you much more help.

Do a google search for "deer processor" followed by your state, then start making phone calls to see if they process feral hogs as well.

But I do agree with Noway, just start doing it yourself. Get a grinder, bone saw, a few sharp knives and get to work. There are plenty of how to web sites on the internet to show you how to do it.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:29   #6
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Since you don't list your location we can't give you much more help.

Do a google search for "deer processor" followed by your state, then start making phone calls to see if they process feral hogs as well.

But I do agree with Noway, just start doing it yourself. Get a grinder, bone saw, a few sharp knives and get to work. There are plenty of how to web sites on the internet to show you how to do it.
That sounds like a good plan, I'm looking into that. In any case, it'll be easier to do that then drag an entire hog to wherever my truck is. I know I need to field dress it right there on the spot, but, let me ask, how long do I need to let it cool down? Is it a good idea to take it and let it cool at home, or is it best to be done in the field?

Old 06-21-2010, 14:37   #7
vafish

Quote:
That sounds like a good plan, I'm looking into that. In any case, it'll be easier to do that then drag an entire hog to wherever my truck is. I know I need to field dress it right there on the spot, but, let me ask, how long do I need to let it cool down? Is it a good idea to take it and let it cool at home, or is it best to be done in the field?
It's best to cool it down as fast as you can.

I know a lot of southern guys keep ice in a cooler at the truck when hunting in hot weather and will stuff a bag of ice into the chest cavity to help it cool down faster.
Old 06-29-2010, 00:37   #8
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Here in Seattle, it's getting real hard to find them as they need special permits. Have to head to southwest WA state - Pierce County or up north like Snohomish County.

Cherish those processors!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:44   #9
357glocker

Ask around to find a local spot to butcher if that's the way you want to go. Find a local forum and ask for game butchers in the area. I do my own anymore to save cost and get known results. Every now and then I bring in boned meat to a processor for them to make some salami, sausage ect, but whole deer never again.
Quote:
I know I need to field dress it right there on the spot, but, let me ask, how long do I need to let it cool down? Is it a good idea to take it and let it cool at home, or is it best to be done in the field?
Get the animal field dressed ASAP in the field. After that depending on the weather will determine how to procede. Obviously, colder weather allows you longer time to get the animal cut up. I have buddies here in Nebraska that will hang a deer in the winter in gargages or shade and wait a few days or even a week before butchering. But we are talking 0-40 degree weather as highs. If it is too warm (50*+) and you can't get out of the field quickly, I've seen people quarter the animal in the field and put the quarters into coolers w/ ice. Ice bags or frozen water jugs in the cavity work well also to start cooling them off.

Another thing to consider is your game laws. Here in Nebraska a game animal may be quartered prior to checking it in and transport as long as evidence of sex can be determined. Other places that may not be ok, other places you may be able to completely butcher the animal where it lays. Look into it.

I guess a rule of thumb to think about is how long would you let a steak sit in the enviroment the dead animal is in before cooking or refridgerating it?

Losing- If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
357glocker is offline   Reply With Quote