Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-17-2010, 13:28   #1
thinktwice

Mossberg 930?

I just purchased a 930 Tactical 5 shot. I was wondering if any of you guys know if I can install an extended magazine tube on this model? I looked on the Mossberg web sight and didn't see any. I did see the ghost ring sights I want to put on this shotgun. I wanted to get the 930 SPX but they didn't have one in stock, and the gun store guy said he didn't know how long it would take for him to get one in if he ordered one. If I can get the sights and extended mag. it would be close to an SPX I think.
thinktwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 17:14   #2
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Yes you can..get the choate 7 rnd mag tube ext..its the same size as the SPX.

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...7&NewProduct=0

If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
You'll Always Get What You've Always Got.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 18:12   #3
mixflip

I have seen the video of a cheap mag tube breaking free from the cap screw section. I cant remember if it was a Choate?

I know the Nordic extension is alot of money but it is truly the very best quality and strongest built extension tube for the 930 and if you are going to build a fighting shotgun the Nordic would be a part you can bet your life on.

I used to think you could get away going cheap on a low tech part like a mag tube extension until I saw the video of it flying off under normal range firing! If that had happend during a home invasion things could get ugly real quick if you dont have another weapon to transition to?

I'll see if I can find that video later tonight when I get home.

Last edited by mixflip; 06-17-2010 at 18:17..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 18:47   #4
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I have seen the video of a cheap mag tube breaking free from the cap screw section. I cant remember if it was a Choate?

I know the Nordic extension is alot of money but it is truly the very best quality and strongest built extension tube for the 930 and if you are going to build a fighting shotgun the Nordic would be a part you can bet your life on.

I used to think you could get away going cheap on a low tech part like a mag tube extension until I saw the video of it flying off under normal range firing! If that had happend during a home invasion things could get ugly real quick if you dont have another weapon to transition to?

Just checked it out, Wish I had known about the Nordic..Thanks for the info..

Old 06-17-2010, 19:06   #5
VIPRETR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post

That's a bit disturbing when you consider that Mossberg contracts Choate to supply the fatory mag extension for the 930 SPX. I look forward to seeing that video.
VIPRETR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 20:28   #6
mixflip

Ooops I just realized it was a "Tac Star" mag extension that broke off. Not Choate. My bad for even suggesting that Choate is not good gear. Choate is good to go!

Here is that video of the Tac Star mag extension popping off on the 2nd shot causing a serious malfunction. Fast forward to 5 min 30 sec to see the malfunction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQNX...eature=related

Tip...never buy cheap gun parts!!!

Last edited by mixflip; 06-18-2010 at 02:11..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 14:09   #7
VIPRETR2

That's a load off my mind.
VIPRETR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 17:38   #8
F_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPRETR2 View Post
That's a load off my mind.
I'm with you on that one. The end cap on the magazine tube for my 930SPX says Choate right on it. My extension has been fine, my trouble has been with the 35 inch springs Mossberg puts in them limiting mag capacity.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 18:15   #9
m24shooter

I would say the Choate unit is acceptable. Nordic is far better. Choate has been including springs that are too long in the assemblies they send to OFM and also to customers directly. The result has been the issues that F G is talking about.
In addition the finish is substandard and they have been known to have problems with being bent or misaligned. The transition areas have been rough or too wide as well.
If you want to get a quality extension that you won't have to worry about I would recommend the Nordic. Gun Connction and S & J Hardware make good extensions too.
The problem you're going to have with the Tactical is the breaching device. It will interfere with a long extension. I believe Gun Connection can get you set up though. Also the factory LPA sights will not be easy to install due to the breacher.

Last edited by m24shooter; 06-18-2010 at 18:22..
m24shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 18:20   #10
F_G

That Nordic does look nice. After this shotgun "proves" itself to me, that will be my next modification.

Old 06-18-2010, 18:31   #11
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by m24shooter View Post
I would say the Choate unit is acceptable. Nordic is far better. Choate has been including springs that are too long in the assemblies they send to OFM and also to customers directly. The result has been the issues that F G is talking about.
In addition the finish is substandard and they have been known to have problems with being bent or misaligned. The transition areas have been rough or too wide as well.
If you want to get a quality extension that you won't have to worry about I would recommend the Nordic. Gun Connction and S & J Hardware make good extensions too.
The problem you're going to have with the Tactical is the breaching device. It will interfere with a long extension. I believe Gun Connection can get you set up though. Also the factory LPA sights will not be easy to install due to the breacher.
What would you recomend as far as the spring being to long? Someone else told me to use the factory follower, is this recomended?

Old 06-18-2010, 18:33   #12
m24shooter

The long Choate springs cause two problems: they reduce capacity and they can also put too much tension on the shell latches. This will overpower the latches and prevent the ready round from being releases onto the lifter or it may double up putting a round and a half on the lifter.
Choate service reps don't seem to understand the issues and have told people not to trim the springs which are seriously overlength.
Old 06-18-2010, 18:37   #13
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
The long Choate springs cause two problems: they reduce capacity and they can also put too much tension on the shell latches. This will overpower the latches and prevent the ready round from being releases onto the lifter or it may double up putting a round and a half on the lifter.
Choate service reps don't seem to understand the issues and have told people not to trim the springs which are seriously overlength.
Do you recomend shortning the spring? what about using the factory follower?

Old 06-18-2010, 18:37   #14
m24shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
What would you recomend as far as the spring being to long? Someone else told me to use the factory follower, is this recomended?
Not sure I'm tracking you. The spring length iseasily handled by trimming the spring back gradually until you have it to a length where it will cycle reliably. You may have to do this one coil at a time once you get close.
As for the follower if you're using an aftermarket version with a tail you will probably lose a round.
The factory follower is OK but again there are better choices out there.
ETA: If your spring is 35" it is too long.

Last edited by m24shooter; 06-18-2010 at 18:40..
Old 06-18-2010, 18:43   #15
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Not sure I'm tracking you. The spring length iseasily handled by trimming the spring back gradually until you have it to a length where it will cycle reliably. You may have to do this one coil at a time once you get close.
As for the follower if you're using an aftermarket version with a tail you will probably lose a round.
The factory follower is OK but again there are better choices out there.
ETA: If your spring is 35" it is too long.
You answered my question..Thank you very much..

Old 06-18-2010, 18:50   #16
m24shooter

No prob. Glad to help.
Old 06-18-2010, 19:29   #17
F_G

The spring that came with my 930 was 35 1/4 inches long and only allowed 6 rounds to be loaded into the tube. I never fired it this way, so I didn't experience any of the other issues m24shooter described. GT member frankr had a replacement spring Mossberg had sent to him that he offered to me. It was 28 inches long and has functioned flawlessly through over 300 rounds.

I am currently using the factory follower, but with a modification. I had to chamfer the leading edge or it would occassionaly hang up at the mag tube/mag tube extension junction. Since my minor file work it has functioned perfect.

Last edited by F_G; 06-18-2010 at 19:31..
Old 06-25-2010, 18:11   #18
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Ok I'm using a 28in spring, tried both followers and it still only 6+1..Is this normal or should it be 7+1 ?

Old 07-01-2010, 16:03   #19
Ride5C2

My 930 SPX is 7+1 from the factory, no problems whatsoever loading & feeding. My stock spring is 22 & 1/2 inches long exactly.

The actual extension tube from the factory (apparently from Choate) is exactly 7 inches long ( I would check this as well as there is some confusion on lengths when you order directly from them).

Last edited by Ride5C2; 07-01-2010 at 16:12..
Ride5C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 21:19   #20
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Mine isnt the spx its the one with the breaching tip on the end but dont see how that makes a difference. Going to pull the spring, leave in the factory follower and see if it will take 7..