Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-17-2010, 14:29   #1
Adjuster

Hard Drive Failing?

At random after my computer has been running for awhile my hard drive will start making a very rhythmic clunkity clunkity sound. Sometimes it will go weeks or even months without doing it. Once it starts making that sound all my applications slow to a crawl. I know whats happening so I start shutting down all my applications so I can turn off the computer. The hard drive is trying to read the instructions I am giving it but it is skipping and rereading etc trying to get back on track. Sometimes I am able to shut it all down and other times I get the blue memory dump screen of death. When I restart all is good till the next random occurrence. Two questions:

Am I correct that this sounds like impending hard drive failure?

What is the easiest most hassle free way to clone my current drive to a new drive so I don't have to make any software changes or have any issues what so ever. I want to clone to new drive, remove old drive, install new drive like nothing ever happened. Is this possible? Any Microsoft issues, software issues, hardware issues?
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 14:49   #2
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Yes I'd say that a "clunkity clunkity" sound coming from a hard drive means it's about to fail ... backup your data ASAP.

As for cloning I use Ghost but it's not free, I'm sure others here can name a few free ones ...

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"

Last edited by Sgt. Schultz; 06-17-2010 at 14:50..
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 15:19   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

If you know how to burn an ISO.. clonezilla is free.. but the images it creates are usually pretty good size.. so you'll need a spare drive/other large media source to put the image.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 15:36   #4
CitizenOfDreams

Sometimes the "clunk" can be caused by a loose power connector on the hard drive. But usually it means the hard drive is on its way to the big RAID in the sky.

Buy a new drive and save whatever you can still read from the old one. Restore the rest of your documents from the backup (you did make regular backups, right?).
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 15:46   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Sometimes the "clunk" can be caused by a loose power connector on the hard drive..
Yup.. I had that problem once... but mine, the connector wasn't lose, somehow a wire had come loose inside the molex(no I didn't pull on it). I had bought a drive, when I realized the problem, I returned it and bought a power supply, and it worked fine..

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 15:58   #6
Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Sometimes the "clunk" can be caused by a loose power connector on the hard drive. But usually it means the hard drive is on its way to the big RAID in the sky.

Buy a new drive and save whatever you can still read from the old one. Restore the rest of your documents from the backup (you did make regular backups, right?).
I will check the cable more closely. I did make sure it was plugged in securely during my last investigation. Should I buy a new cable and try it out in case there is an internal loose wire within the cable that is not readily visible?
Old 06-17-2010, 19:35   #7
Ljay
Micky's Packin

I never just trust one hard drive, My tower has 4, Hard drives in it, One for XP one for Win7 Then the other two are cloned backups for each OS.

If you have had one hard drive ever fail on you, You never want it to happen again.
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:45   #8
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljay View Post
I never just trust one hard drive, My tower has 4, Hard drives in it, One for XP one for Win7 Then the other two are cloned backups for each OS.

If you have had one hard drive ever fail on you, You never want it to happen again.
my computer has 6 drives in it

Tech Talk

Last edited by MavsX; 06-18-2010 at 06:46..
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51   #9
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
my computer has 6 drives in it

Tech Talk
Show off ...

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Old 06-18-2010, 12:04   #10
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Show off ...
if you got it..flaunt it. lol
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 13:24   #11
Adjuster

Ok guys surely with those multiple drives you have the knowledge to walk me through the process of ghosting my current drive to a new drive. I need it clean and simple. I don't want any kind of program registry problems or Microsoft no longer recognizes my hardware configuration problems. Please tell me this is possible.
Old 06-18-2010, 14:47   #12
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Ok guys surely with those multiple drives you have the knowledge to walk me through the process of ghosting my current drive to a new drive. I need it clean and simple. I don't want any kind of program registry problems or Microsoft no longer recognizes my hardware configuration problems. Please tell me this is possible.
Yes you can do it ... you need a new (larger) hard drive and cloneing software. You install the drive as a slave, clone the drive and then swap them. (remove the old drive, change the jumpers on the new and reboot) Clonezilla looks simple to use download and try it.

A couple of questions ...

What OS are you running?
How old is your current install?

Old 06-19-2010, 00:53   #13
Adjuster

Windows XP Pro.
Install is a year old. Cant reformat tho, too much to lose. Lots of proprietary work stuff.