SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-18-2010, 19:57   #1
glock2740
Gun lover.

Govt. vs. Commander. Pros and Cons

I like both. I've never owned a true Commander sized 1911, just 4" models. Which are basically the same thing IMO. I'm on the fence about going with a 5" or a 4.25" for my next 1911. Let's here some pros and cons and just pure heart felt opinions and facts. I will say that if I go with the 4.25", that I doubt I have it bobbed. Well, fire away guys.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 20:03   #2
bac1023

I prefer full size for range shooting.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 20:06   #3
glock2740
Gun lover.

Yeah. And I really don't want to get a bob job, since I'm having one done by Chuck on my CDP Pro as we speak, and I've never been a huge fan of the bobtail look. While I do agree 100%, that it makes for a better CC gun, this gun isn't gonna see much CC.
Old 06-18-2010, 20:14   #4
Don Glock

either one's good for range shooting for me. i would never carry a full size though, too much steel for me to lug around all day (i'm not a big guy lol). for that role the commander fits better
Don Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 00:36   #5
The_Drizzle
I make it rain!

Personally I never really understood the advantage of a commander. Sure it is a few ounces lighter, but a shorter barrel means lower velocities, a shorter sight radius, and more recoil. And as far as CC goes, the frame is the hardest part to conceal, not the barrel.

For a gun that would be mostly range use, and since you already have a 4" one, I would go with a 5" model.

But for the record, eventhough I don't understand commander 1911s, I would still like to own one someday.
Old 06-19-2010, 00:37   #6
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Yeah. And I really don't want to get a bob job, since I'm having one done by Chuck on my CDP Pro as we speak, and I've never been a huge fan of the bobtail look. While I do agree 100%, that it makes for a better CC gun, this gun isn't gonna see much CC.
Get a full size, hard chromed "No Name".

Go with the OD Alumigrips too.

...should look awesome!
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 00:58   #7
glock2740
Gun lover.

I'm sure it will end up with a set of Horned Lizards anyway.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:12   #8
PlasticGuy

I find that the 5" model is slightly harder to conceal, but much easier to shoot. Since the reason I carry it is that I might someday need to shoot it, I'm very willing to carry a 5" 1911. In fact, all of my 1911's are 5" now. I don't see that changing.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:51   #9
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

If nothing else, owning my 5" SA milspec has taught me that I love the commander (and not just because my CBOB is noticeably nicer and better built). I love shooting both, but the commander just feels more natural to me. Than again, the commander is on the big side for handguns considering what I am used to, that makes the 5" milspec gigantic to my standards.

I see handguns as CCW weapons, not open carry sidearms or even really home defense tools (unless that is all that is near). So, from my perspective, the 5" is more nostalgic than anything.

I can appreciate all 1911's, especially the aesthetics of a 5", but the Commander holds a special place in my heart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:26   #10
Tejasshooter

2740, just buy both of them from GC! When you figure which one you like the best I will take the other one off your hands.....Really I will.
Tejasshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:09   #11
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejasshooter View Post
2740, just buy both of them from GC! When you figure which one you like the best I will take the other one off your hands.....Really I will.
Old 06-19-2010, 13:49   #12
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
If nothing else, owning my 5" SA milspec has taught me that I love the commander (and not just because my CBOB is noticeably nicer and better built). I love shooting both, but the commander just feels more natural to me. Than again, the commander is on the big side for handguns considering what I am used to, that makes the 5" milspec gigantic to my standards.

I see handguns as CCW weapons, not open carry sidearms or even really home defense tools (unless that is all that is near). So, from my perspective, the 5" is more nostalgic than anything.

I can appreciate all 1911's, especially the aesthetics of a 5", but the Commander holds a special place in my heart.
I prefer the Commander-sized guns, as well. They just handle better and feel more balanced in my hands. Not giving up my Govt. sized, but I carry Commander-sized exclusively.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 14:27   #13
Chieftain

Old gunsmith used to recommend for LEO's, carry a Colt Lightweight Commander, shoot and practice with a Government model. Shoot the Commander for function a couple times a year.

Friend of mine did it with a Combat Commander and a Ltw one.

I prefer the Government model. I do own three Commanders all Colt. One is a Lightweight. but the other 18 1911's are all Government models.

I am setting up the Ltwt Commander for CCW. It is an old 70's series, and hasn't gone in for major surgery yet. So far I want a Smith & Alexander grip safety with the bump, XS small dot front sight, 10-8 rear sight with bar installed. EGW, oversized "square" bottom firing pin stop, EGW extended mag release, EGW "Large" non ambi thumb safety. Ultimate Ring Hammer set from Dave Barryhill. C&S short "round" trigger, Original "Gunner" grips, It has an aluminum arched serrated mainspringhousing that I am going to keep, If I need a new one I will go with S&A. Carry grind, hog out the existing mag well, get the frame anodized again, and go with probably a Robar NP3 Slide. I also like to have forward grip cuts on my guns. And of course I use Wolff springs.

Until then, when I carry a 1911 for CCW it will be the lightly customized SpringField Professional I carried all the time until my arthritis acted up.

In all my years of shooting (56), I have found the Government model to be more reliable than any of the shorter barrel variants. The shorter the barrel the more problems, the more often the springs must be changed etc. (not just the recoil spring either).

Either way, good luck.

Fred

“To lead untrained men in to war, is to waste them.” - Confucious
Semper Fi
Chieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 14:47   #14
drc767
Navy CSAR

I own and have carried both size 1911's. I actually prefer the 5" pistol for a couple of different reasons. One being the longer sight radius, the other being the slight increase in velocity from an already velocity challenged round and third, I think the length of the slide helps the pistol not feel so top heavy when used for ccw. The extra depth below the holster loop (belt like) gives stability to the rig. There is no concealabilty advantage from one to the other because the grip length is the same. When comparing apples to apples (ie. steel framed Commander to steel framed Gov't) there is just not enough of a difference in weight (for me) to justify the tradeoffs. That being said, I don't mind the Cmdr length pistols one bit......I just prefer the Gov't for a carry piece, and all of my 4" guns are bobbed.

Last edited by drc767; 06-19-2010 at 15:18..
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 15:13   #15
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain View Post
Old gunsmith used to recommend for LEO's, carry a Colt Lightweight Commander, shoot and practice with a Government model. Shoot the Commander for function a couple times a year.
That's close to my philosophy.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 18:05   #16
MAJINKONG

i have a colt combat cmdr ss. easy to shoot and it shoots well without hiccups... Problem is when i'm using wcc/rpa hardball milspec loads, my support hand slips. Everything else, the cmdr is awesome.
MAJINKONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 20:10   #17
dewidmt
Gunaholic

I have 7 1911's, 6 full size and one Commander. The Commander gets carried.
Old 06-19-2010, 22:43   #18
ArmoryDoc

I think the 4.25" barrel is the perfect length for the 1911. The perfect combination of grip and length would be a CCO with the officers frame and Commander slide.

I love my Commander.
1911 Forums

Last edited by ArmoryDoc; 06-19-2010 at 22:48..
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:23   #19
Hef
Stop Obammunism

The 5" feels the most natural in my hand when I shoot it. It's balanced right, aims easily, follow up shots are quick and accurate, and (most importantly) it ALWAYS goes bang. An inch or less of length (and the associated weight reduction) aren't significant enough to dissuade me from carrying a government model.

On the other end of the spectrum are the Glocks. While I respect them for their reliability, durability, and simplicity of operation, I hate shooting them. They're called combat tupperware for a reason. They feel like toys, and they shoot like toys. The fact that they're really light is more of strike against them than for them. Give me a big, heavy 5" 1911.
Old 06-20-2010, 16:03   #20
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain View Post
Old gunsmith used to recommend for LEO's, carry a Colt Lightweight Commander, shoot and practice with a Government model. Shoot the Commander for function a couple times a year...
Most trainers suggest a "practice with what you carry" strategy, and I agree with that.

What's the point of practicing the 100 yard dash if you plan to run a marathon? It's all running, but...