Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-18-2010, 20:01   #1
BlayGlock

H&K45 vs Baer 1911- Initial Impressions

The other day I finished watching one of my favorite movies, The Book of Eli. Im a sucker for post-apocolyptia. After watching Denzel Washington dispatch many a villain with his H&K 45 I thought, "If I went and got an H&K 45 and Oakleys I could be cool like Denzel!!"

Ill start by admitting that I have never liked the H&K USP series of pistols which are the only H&Ks I have shot. However, I have to admit that I have changed my tune hen it comes to the H&K45 and probably the P30 series as well.

I took my Baer TRS to the local indoor range which rents pistols and shot it head to head with the H&K45.

Wow! I could shoot the H&K in single action just as well as I could my Baer out to 20 yards. I would guess that the trigger break on the H&K was between 5.0-5.5 lbs with some take-up but a very definable break point that allowed you to pause before the shot. My Baer is about a pound less. I was amazed that I could pick up the H&K45 for the first time and shoot that well with it using factory ball. Even the double action on this pistol was very nice and I could shoot great with it. The first few DA shots I pulled to the left (right handed shooter) but after that I could put it right where I was aiming.

I also really liked the sight picture it was easy to pick them up when shooting rapidly. The shot recovery was not as fast as with the 1911, but was good enough.

Another thing that surprised me is that I may have found the one pistol with a more ergonomic grip than a 1911. If just filled my hand better and felt better than my Baer with standard thickness grips.

Also the H&K just looks sexy.

The downsides that I could see with buying one of these would be
1. Concealability if I chose to carry it. Not as easily concealed as a 1911.
2. The mags are twice as expensive. This range had them for $58
3. Cant shoot quite as fast with it as I can a 1911. The H&K seems to have more muzzle flip and it kind of twist just a little.

None of these will keep me from buying this gun however. Actually only one very important consideration will keep me from buying this pistol and I need the advice of someone who has used the H&K45 extensively.

To decock this gun you press it in the same direction as you do to take it off safety. It seems to me that in a stressful situation I could very easily be too forceful when taking the gun off of safety and decock the gun putting that first shot as DA and throwing my shot. Has this been a problem for any of you folks?

I think that that would be the only thing that would keep be from buying one of these since it will be carried cocked and locked and shot primarily single action.

Not a formal review, I just wanted to share how surprised I was as a dedicated 1911 user at this gun.

Regards.

Last edited by BlayGlock; 06-18-2010 at 20:04..
BlayGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 20:21   #2
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlayGlock View Post
...To decock this gun you press it in the same direction as you do to take it off safety. It seems to me that in a stressful situation I could very easily be too forceful when taking the gun off of safety and decock the gun putting that first shot as DA and throwing my shot. Has this been a problem for any of you folks?...
The HK45 can be converted from V1 to V9 by a simple swap of the detent plate. V9 eliminates decocking function of the control lever while retaining the manual safety, this makes it much more like a 1911.
Old 06-18-2010, 20:54   #3
curriek

Hk45 is a great choice. I, unfortunantly, had to get rid of mine. Way more ergonomic and easier to shoot than the USP45, at least for me... Mag prices are outrageous and they should include "real" night sights with the sticker price of the gun. Other than that, it is my favorite DA/SA gun out there. Congrats!
curriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 22:34   #4
Chonny

The P30 and the HK45 have the best grips on a stock gun imo.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:40   #5
Gary1911A1

I have an HK45 and shoot 1911s' a lot and have never decocked the HK. I wonder if this isn't more a problem in theory than in reality.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:49   #6
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

I'm not a big fan of V1 HKs, either. It takes about 1 minute to swap the detent plate to take it to a V9, which makes the gun SAO w/ manual safety. Personally, however, I prefer LEM.

Comparing an HK to a Les Baer or other custom 1911 isn't really fair though. One is a custom gun and the other is a mass production piece.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 16:04   #7
Chonny

V9 sounds sweet.

Variant 9: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on left side of frame.

But what makes it SAO

Last edited by Chonny; 06-19-2010 at 16:12..
Chonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 21:29   #8
majette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonny View Post
V9 sounds sweet.

Variant 9: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on left side of frame.

But what makes it SAO
once the slide is racked/round chambered the hammer stays to the rear. to lower the hammer you pull the trigger while riding the hammer with your thumb. if you fire and the round does not go off, you have a second strike capability with a DA pull. the manual of arms with this variant makes it virtually a SAO.
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:52   #9
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
once the slide is racked/round chambered the hammer stays to the rear. to lower the hammer you pull the trigger while riding the hammer with your thumb. if you fire and the round does not go off, you have a second strike capability with a DA pull. the manual of arms with this variant makes it virtually a SAO.
A good explanation. The pistols trigger is still capable of DA operation (trigger will still operate the hammer in the rested position). So it is not a true SAO trigger in the sense of a 1911.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:14   #10
pgg00

But.... Does it come in a cardboard box

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:00   #11
majette

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&K 4 LIFE View Post
A good explanation. The pistols trigger is still capable of DA operation (trigger will still operate the hammer in the rested position). So it is not a true SAO trigger in the sense of a 1911.
hey, is that a combat competition i see in your avatar? i have an original one...
Old 06-20-2010, 14:16   #12
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:
hey, is that a combat competition i see in your avatar? i have an original one...
It is technically now called a Custom Combat, as it is standard V1 and not the Hybrid LEM x Match trigger the Combat Competition is known for. This one was when they were brand new to the market and both the V1 and Hybrid LEM models were designated Combat Competition (I have the original box to prove it).

HK later seperated the two to differentiate between the separate trigger variants. The V1 adopted the older Custom Combat designation while the Hybrid LEM model stayed as Combat Competition.

And I am pretty sure I already know you from HKPRO.

Heckler & Koch Forum
Old 06-20-2010, 20:40   #13
Chonny

Quote:
Ah gotcha, thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 23:50   #14
Chonny

I want some Novaks put on my USPc. I cant decide whether to send it in or let the local guy have at it. I know hes experienced and works on a lot of HKs... Hmm..
Old 06-21-2010, 13:40   #15
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
The other day I finished watching one of my favorite movies, The Book of Eli. Im a sucker for post-apocolyptia. After watching Denzel Washington dispatch many a villain with his H&K 45 I thought, "If I went and got an H&K 45 and Oakleys I could be cool like Denzel!!"

Ill start by admitting that I have never liked the H&K USP series of pistols which are the only H&Ks I have shot. However, I have to admit that I have changed my tune hen it comes to the H&K45 and probably the P30 series as well.

I took my Baer TRS to the local indoor range which rents pistols and shot it head to head with the H&K45.

Wow! I could shoot the H&K in single action just as well as I could my Baer out to 20 yards. I would guess that the trigger break on the H&K was between 5.0-5.5 lbs with some take-up but a very definable break point that allowed you to pause before the shot. My Baer is about a pound less. I was amazed that I could pick up the H&K45 for the first time and shoot that well with it using factory ball. Even the double action on this pistol was very nice and I could shoot great with it. The first few DA shots I pulled to the left (right handed shooter) but after that I could put it right where I was aiming.

I also really liked the sight picture it was easy to pick them up when shooting rapidly. The shot recovery was not as fast as with the 1911, but was good enough.

Another thing that surprised me is that I may have found the one pistol with a more ergonomic grip than a 1911. If just filled my hand better and felt better than my Baer with standard thickness grips.

Also the H&K just looks sexy.

The downsides that I could see with buying one of these would be
1. Concealability if I chose to carry it. Not as easily concealed as a 1911.
2. The mags are twice as expensive. This range had them for $58
3. Cant shoot quite as fast with it as I can a 1911. The H&K seems to have more muzzle flip and it kind of twist just a little.

None of these will keep me from buying this gun however. Actually only one very important consideration will keep me from buying this pistol and I need the advice of someone who has used the H&K45 extensively.

To decock this gun you press it in the same direction as you do to take it off safety. It seems to me that in a stressful situation I could very easily be too forceful when taking the gun off of safety and decock the gun putting that first shot as DA and throwing my shot. Has this been a problem for any of you folks?

I think that that would be the only thing that would keep be from buying one of these since it will be carried cocked and locked and shot primarily single action.

Not a formal review, I just wanted to share how surprised I was as a dedicated 1911 user at this gun.

Regards.
Thanks for the review. How would you compare the recoil?
Old 06-21-2010, 17:04   #16
sum-dum-guy

I have a bunch of 1911s, including many nighthawks and Wilsons. Love the 1911

However, I think I am becoming an HK convert. I have the HK45 and the P30L and the P30 and love them. Great shooters. Reliable.

They do not match the 1911 trigger, but are certainly adequate.

For my purposes, they do a great job. I find it much easier to transition to the HK than the Glocks, which is where I started my shooting interest.
Old 06-22-2010, 20:49   #17
BlayGlock

Quote:
Thanks for the review. How would you compare the recoil?
Different but not worse that a 1911. Maybe even a tad more muzzle jump but there was a slight twist. It may have been my grip.

Thanks to all for the replys. I did see where they may be coming out with a P30 that will have the ability to be carried cocked and locked (Var 1 or 9? Im not up on H&K). I may have to get that one instead.

Another question? Can you shoot lead or moly in H&K barrels?

Last edited by BlayGlock; 06-29-2010 at 09:15..
Old 06-22-2010, 20:52   #18
BlayGlock

Quote:
I have a bunch of 1911s, including many nighthawks and Wilsons. Love the 1911

However, I think I am becoming an HK convert.
Ive got a Nighthawk and a Springfield Custom Shop on the way. However, I may just convert to carrying one of these on occasion myself. I did try a USP again the other day, dont like it. I do like the new grips on the P30 and H&K45 though.

Last edited by BlayGlock; 06-22-2010 at 20:52..
Old 06-22-2010, 21:01   #19
Ruggles

If I ever strayed from the 1911 platform (Lord strike me down if I Do!) I might just go with the P30, that is one fine feeling firearm
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 00:49   #20
majette

Quote:
due to the polygonal barrel, no lead, copper only.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:20   #21
gforester
Motorhead

Quote:
I've been using Black Bullets from BBI without an issue in my H&K's. Barrel is very clean with no leading what-so-ever.
Florida Glocker #209
Free Body Piercings by Glock, Inquire Within!
gforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 19:39   #22
malleable

tagged
Old 06-26-2010, 12:45   #23
jedg

Shooting Lead in HK

The HK pro site has a sticky saying it is OK to shoot lead. It has been my experience that my reloads just do not cycle in HK (lead reloads). Plated and jacketed rounds work flawlessly in my USP.

The USP seems to have more felt recoil and muzzle flip than the full sized
1911 pistols (Ed Brown and Kimber). The 1911s cycle flawlessly with lead
semi wad cutters, round nose and round nose flat points. Note that my 1911 pistols are far more expensive than the USP.

jedg
jedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 15:42   #24
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
If I ever strayed from the 1911 platform (Lord strike me down if I Do!) I might just go with the P30, that is one fine feeling firearm
I agree Ruggles.

I have a P30 on my list as well.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:17   #25
BlayGlock

My Nighthawk Predator should be in today. If everything works out I may have a chance to get back to the range tomorrow and rent the H&K again. I will do a similar comparison.