Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:39   #1
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Ever build your own 1911?

How difficult would you rate it as? How'd it turn out? Do you save money building a 1911 if you know what you're doing? Pics and details please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:17   #2
bac1023

That's something I would like to do one of these days, but never have.

I know several here, much more knowledgable than I, have built some nice examples.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:02   #3
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
Do you save money building a 1911 if you know what you're doing?
i don't think you would save any money building your own, after you buy the tools and parts needed.

I'm thinking of building my own soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:13   #4
glock2740
Gun lover.

Not yet, but I will someday. As soon as I can stash away enough cash, I'm going to take the class Bob Rodgers teaches.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:14   #5
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

You don't save any money but the satisfaction from shooting a 1911 that you have built and tuned is well worth the extra cost.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:17   #6
Cerebrus
Airborne! 12B

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Not yet, but I will someday. As soon as I can stash away enough cash, I'm going to take the class Bob Rodgers teaches.
Man but I would love to do that.. I have seen the pics from that place.. then again with my limited mechanical skills I am kind of afraid of what would come off of my bench..
Cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25   #7
Blaster
Hunc tu caveto

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Yes I would like to do that too. Then go to Larry Vickers class. I can dream can't I?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:38   #8
HAIL CAESAR

I've build a few. It is not as easy as you would think. The tools are expensive, and so are mistakes. Generally you don't save a nickel.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 17:12   #9

I have put a couple of them together. It is a lot more expensive than buying a Les Bear and the Les Bear will always be worth more. Mine have always preformed well and been accurate, but they are mine for life. I could never get much for them.
1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 22:22   #10
remat

I thought about and was ready to get the Wilson and AGI videos until I priced out buying the individual parts. It would be less expensive just to have Fusion build one for me.

The nice thing about building it would be being able to learn and buying the parts individually at a painstakingly (but pocket tolerable) pace.
remat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 22:50   #11
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by remat View Post
I thought about and was ready to get the Wilson and AGI videos until I priced out buying the individual parts. It would be less expensive just to have Fusion build one for me.

The nice thing about building it would be being able to learn and buying the parts individually at a painstakingly (but pocket tolerable) pace.
How did the Fusion work out for you?
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 16:53   #12
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I would like to someday.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 17:10   #13
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
Any update on yours?
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 17:18   #14
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

I've built three. Two were off Caspian frame/slide sets that were unfitted. The third was a Colt that I took down to the frame and totally redid.

I built my first by joining an internet based remote learning class given by the late Capt. Eagle. The next two I did on my own.

Saving money? Not really. When you are building your own you tend (at least I do) to utilize the best quality parts you can find. On the first build you have a capital outlay for the tools needed. However the following builds don't require much more in the way of tool investment.

The value comes when you fire that first round from a weapon that did not exist until you took file/stone/paper/dremel to steel. That is some powerful persona satisfaction.

It takes time and patience and you will make mistakes, but that is part of the learning process.

All in all it is a worthwhile endeavour.

Last edited by seanmac45; 06-21-2010 at 17:19..
seanmac45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 18:49   #15
remat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
That's the bad thing about buying it outright, have to save my pennies. Not quite there yet...
remat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 19:07   #16
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
I've built three. Two were off Caspian frame/slide sets that were unfitted. The third was a Colt that I took down to the frame and totally redid.

I built my first by joining an internet based remote learning class given by the late Capt. Eagle. The next two I did on my own.

Saving money? Not really. When you are building your own you tend (at least I do) to utilize the best quality parts you can find. On the first build you have a capital outlay for the tools needed. However the following builds don't require much more in the way of tool investment.

The value comes when you fire that first round from a weapon that did not exist until you took file/stone/paper/dremel to steel. That is some powerful persona satisfaction.

It takes time and patience and you will make mistakes, but that is part of the learning process.

All in all it is a worthwhile endeavour.
Having built my fair share of AR15's I have some kind of an idea of what you are saying, although the 1911 seems like it would require more complexity and time.

Thanks for sharing!

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 13:27   #17
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

I just did, with a little help from a friend, who had a lot of the tools needed. Over the years, I acquired a bunch of stuff including a complete top end. Turned out all I needed was a frame, safety and plunger tube. I still have a few bugs to work out (it's a .40, which has it share of quirks), but I did manage to win single stack division with it this past Saturday at a local USPSA match.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 15:48   #18
Tactical black

I would love to take a class on it I think it would be very rewarding to shoot something you built with your own hands.
Tactical black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 19:44   #19
Chonny

I wouldnt mind building an STI from parts.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36   #20
CMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
How difficult would you rate it as? How'd it turn out? Do you save money building a 1911 if you know what you're doing? Pics and details please.
Save money?

Nope.

Easy?

No, but today's "no-gunsmithing" parts are worlds better than they were just 20 years ago, so I think it would be easier to do today than the first time I did it in the 80s.

"Gunsmith fitting required" parts are a different matter, and without the proper tools and experience it could get really expensive to learn as you go.