Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2010, 14:50   #1
EL COLONEL

The chest

Anyone ever shoot a deer facing you in the chest and if so please give details....................
Old 06-20-2010, 16:17   #2
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Yep. The bullet goes out through the backstrap, guts, and hindquarters.

I try not to do that anymore.
Old 06-20-2010, 17:02   #3
noway

A chest shot or head on is a very hard shot due to the target size presented and the fact that the deer is looking at your direction. So any movement is just about detected if the deer head is up.

And yes I shot a deer headon or just about head on at 7yrds with 45colt and no major damage to any eatable meats and the deer was recovered less than 60yards away from when it was shot. Shot just about left of his bib
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:08   #4
vafish

I shot a small button buck straight on when I first started archery hunting. I was in a ground blind and he walked up within about 10 yards of me. He was with a group of several other deer and I heard them coming towards me so I had the bow pulled back when he stepped into my view. I put the arrow high in his chest, he took 2 or 3 hops and fell over within a few yards, never left my sight.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:09   #5
Bitmap

My oldest son shot one last year from straight ahead. The deer was slightly downhill from us (probably 20 feet lower elevation) at we laser measured it at 150 yards. He was using a .30-30 with Remington Managed Recoil ammo. He hit the deer dead center of the chest. The bullet went through the chest, into the guts and didn't exit. I didn't bother digging for it. Fortunately the bullet went below the backstrap. The deer dropped instantly and never moved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 14:47   #6
EL COLONEL

Bitmap thank you........................................
Old 07-06-2010, 17:18   #7
357glocker

I've shot one headon and lost no meat. Lucklily the bullet veered off to the side before getting further than the ribs and ended up by the hind quarter. No punched paunch! That deer dropped quick and never quivered! I'd take the shot again.
Edited: 7mag 140gr Nosler ballistic tips, about 40yrd shot.

Losing- If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.

Last edited by 357glocker; 07-06-2010 at 17:20..
357glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 18:12   #8
EL COLONEL

357,you like the ballistic silvertips.......................??
Old 07-06-2010, 21:22   #9
357glocker

I don't reload the ballistic silvertips, just the copper jacket/red tip Nosler BT's. Everything I understand they are the same bullet, but winchester put a moly coating on them. The ballistic tips are my favorite deer hunting bullet from the 7mag.

Old 07-07-2010, 14:13   #10
RJ Schuknecht

The buck in my avatar was a head on shot.

I was in a tree stand about 27 feet high. The deer was out about 60-65 yards and stopped in an opening facing me. I made the shot using my Remington model four shooting a 180 grain silver tip 308. With the downward angle, the bullet passed through the heart and exited before hitting the liver or stomach. The shot flipped the deer 180 degrees. He raised his head once and never moved again after that.
RJ Schuknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43   #11
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Schuknecht View Post
The buck in my avatar was a head on shot.

I was in a tree stand about 27 feet high. The deer was out about 60-65 yards and stopped in an opening facing me. I made the shot using my Remington model four shooting a 180 grain silver tip 308. With the downward angle, the bullet passed through the heart and exited before hitting the liver or stomach. The shot flipped the deer 180 degrees. He raised his head once and never moved again after that.
Not to raise "Controversy" but how does a bullet in that downward angle, hit the heart and then goes on and get's liver and than stomach? That was serious arch

http://www.rubsnscrapes.com/Articles...nt_anatomy.php

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

This is one reason I don't like hunting from elevator platforms, due to the limited angles and factor that organs are not exposed as in a broadside or catering shoots and more so from a an arrow.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 15:04   #12
357glocker

Noway,
I read it that it exited before getting that far back??

Old 07-13-2010, 11:00   #13
RJ Schuknecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Not to raise "Controversy" but how does a bullet in that downward angle, hit the heart and then goes on and get's liver and than stomach? That was serious arch
Reread my post. The bullet exited after the heart but in front of the liver and stomach. Perhaps I could have worded it better. 357glocker understood it.
RJ Schuknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 14:07   #14
DR. HOUSE
Everybody Lies

I have shot 2 in the chest, both with a win .270

First one was probably 100 yards at best. Hit him in the chest, he dropped and died instantly.

Upon gutting him, I found lots of fragments and the shell of the bullet which had separated from the core. The bullet went through the guts a LITTLE.

That was a hornady SST which I had reloaded myself.

The second one was last year. I scared a 5 x 5 whitetail out of some trees and when I got to the end of the shelter belt, he was facing me about 150 yards or so.

Pulled the trigger before he even knew what happened.

His hind legs gave out on the spot and then his front ones. He laid on his back and kicked his hind legs for a few seconds before he died.

I only found fragments of that bullet as it had exited around the shoulder area leaving a massive damage canal.

That was a Nosler silver Ballastic tip that I also reloaded.

I love noslers Silver tips, they shoot so nice in my .270.

I have never had one fail so far though I did have a WTF moment a few years back.

I went around some trees and there was a buck standing there eating. He looked up at me and I shot him. He wasnt more than maby 25 yards away from me.

I hit him in the lungs and he didnt even move really, just jumped a bit. I thought for sure that I missed him.

About 4 seconds later he finally dropped. Im sure that I was so close that the bullet didnt have time to expand due to high velocities and just passed right through him.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:39   #15
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

I shot one really big doe a few years back in the chest with a 30-06 while I was 30 ft up in a tree on a breezy day. It was absolutely the biggest doe that I've ever seen and the freezer was very empty.

The shot was slightly off center and ended up knocking off most of a front leg. The deer went down rolling and flopping around for what seemed like for ever. I made 3 more shots trying to put the doe out of her pain but she fell in a spot where tree branches were in the way.

My 2nd and 3rd shot ricocheted off of the same branch with #4 finding the mark only after I decided to hang way out of my climber for a clear view.

I told myself I'd never take a chest shot again. Too little margin for error and a good chance that there will be wasted meat (or in my case a suffering animal).

A few years later and a different deer; I found myself in the chest shot dilemma again. This is about as close as I have ever came to a chest shot with a bow.

The deer was facing me head on for a few minutes and then turned slightly offering a hard quartering shot with very little shooting light left.

I was a little impatient but slipped the arrow into the sweet spot from 45 yds.

The deer went down in less than 50 yds but would have preferred a true broadside shot with a much better margin for error.

I almost broke my own "rule" but each situation is different. In another minute or 2, I probably would have shot at the chest if that was the only shot I had.

My learning from this is that "you" need to decide on the shot opportunities based on your skill and other factors related to your hunt.

I'll probably take chest shots in the future if the situation merits it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by GeorgiaGlockMan; 12-19-2010 at 23:43..
GeorgiaGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote

« Better | Pig »