Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2010, 19:07   #21
LApm9

I studied American-Korean TKD.

Your set of questions are interesting in that they place importance in the style of the techniques taught. In the association I was in the greatest emphasis was placed on developing the mind, though the physical aspects were not neglected.

Situational awareness, self-control, mental clarity, confidence, tactical skills and focus were the most valuable things I learned. These skills should be common between and equally transferable between different styles.

I noted that entrants from different styles blended into our association well, as American-Korean TKD was a "non-traditional" style. For instance, the instructors were interested in, not dismissive of, the classical American wrestling techniques I employed in our groundfighting sessions.

As for the bowing and rigid protocols: I found this was very helpful in developing self control and respect for position.
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 19:41   #22
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LApm9 View Post
I studied American-Korean TKD.

Your set of questions are interesting in that they place importance in the style of the techniques taught. In the association I was in the greatest emphasis was placed on developing the mind, though the physical aspects were not neglected.

Situational awareness, self-control, mental clarity, confidence, tactical skills and focus were the most valuable things I learned. These skills should be common between and equally transferable between different styles.

I noted that entrants from different styles blended into our association well, as American-Korean TKD was a "non-traditional" style. For instance, the instructors were interested in, not dismissive of, the classical American wrestling techniques I employed in our groundfighting sessions.

As for the bowing and rigid protocols: I found this was very helpful in developing self control and respect for position.

Thank you for your illuminating response.

'Drew
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 20:29   #23
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
Here's my observation on martial arts and hand to hand combat in general. Learn a few good techniques and become very adept at them. Really learn to throw a punch correctly, learn an arm bar technique and a few chokes and escapes. It takes time to learn them all and compete. You are better off learning a few things and practicing them often.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
Another thing I've observed is the first punch ends the fight 95% of the time. Most people give up after one punch because they've never been hit hard before. I've never seen an untrained person take a 3 punch combination from an amateur boxer with some skill and not go down.
I just pray all I meet are untrained thugs! But yes, a good 3 punch combination from someone how knows how to punch well will do the trick. My TKD master I know does not like my boxing methods I use for punches instead of TDK punches, but while I feel legs are more powerful than arms there are just so many times in a true SD situation you can't throw those kicks and you really need some good hands. And I don’t mean fast flippy weak hits, I mean real hard punching done with good body weight behind the punches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTPD View Post
In H2H, size and strength matters! Combat shooting? Now that's a different story. Years ago when I was still doing IPSC I had a Team S&W female pro-shooter beat me all the time.
And that is why Col. Colt called it the 'Great Equalizer'!

Deaf
Old 06-25-2010, 01:44   #24
NorthernAlpine
RLTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
But I'll say this..One time Chuck Norris bragged he shot 15 terrorist and ran out of bullets. Jack Bauer retorted he shot 94 terrorist and ran out of terrorist.

Deaf
That is by far the funniest **** I have heard in some time. Kudos, Deaf. My wife makes 'Jack Bauer' saying t-shirts for me and some of the bearded ladies I run around with overseas to wear in the gym as a morale booster. That one is definately going to see print.

I know this post is off topic, but too funny to not recognize.
Bren

Last edited by NorthernAlpine; 06-25-2010 at 01:50..
NorthernAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:16   #25
TurboRocket

* What discipline are you a student under?

Muay Thai, currently. MT and Arnis soon.

* What is the level of training required to be fully recognized as an "instructor", a "master"?

I'm no where near instructor level. My instructor (Kru) has 20 years of study and just started training on his own 2 years ago. Previously, he was training with his Master.

* What is that level of training required to attain the higher tier/ranking? Is it number of years studying? Number of years studying + teaching? Or some combination of other things?

We do not use a belt system.

* What are the requirements for testing, and / or promotion for a higher rank?

I don't know exactly. Of the 4 Krus here in town, all were appointed so by the same Master, and all have 15+ years. So, I assume it was just a certain level of proficiency they had to prove to the Master. There are a few other MT instructors in town, but most are associated with the new crop of MMA type gyms and most/all are just generic kickboxing.

* How is your discipline set up to absorb someone else from another discipline, with or without rank?

All start with basic strikes. I think Muay Thai striking takes on very different technique than than other styles so, so new students from other arts get frustrated with relearning, say, a round house kick.

* Is your martial arts discipline recognized by some national or international council? If yes, what is that council?

Don't know. Don't care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GT S&C - We know squat.

Last edited by TurboRocket; 06-25-2010 at 05:20..
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 23:19   #26
JW1178

You all are making me want to get back into it!

The style of Martial Art you take I figure is kind of like what gun you carry. One MA/gun might work great for one person, while that same MA/gun might not work so well for another.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:15   #27
ftw13

krav maga is what you need to look into

Man i would love to pocket carry a 50AE. The recoil will probably be like Will Smith's pocket gun in Men In Black
ftw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 20:49   #28
Deaf Smith

JW,

Just pick the art that fits you. I have found young tall slim men with long legs are perfect for Taekwondo due to TKD emphasizing so many kicks. Others may prefer Shotokan as it’s more a 50/50 hands and feet. And stocky guys may lean toward Jujutsu with it’s grappling.

Or if you want just plain self defense without kata or so much formality, then Krav Maga is a very good one and a fine addition to your skill set when carrying a gun.

Deaf