Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-21-2010, 23:25   #1
duncan
Lifetime Membership

ASUS Netbook - Ubuntu grub-pc failed to install?

Just got done installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.4 with Wubi on my ASUS netbook.

THEN the Update Manager installs packages fine until the grub.

Error message - grub failed to install.

Ubuntu apps seems to run fine. Using Firefox inside UNR right now as I type.

What now?

Last edited by duncan; 06-21-2010 at 23:32..
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 14:53   #2
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Just got done installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.4 with Wubi on my ASUS netbook.

What now?
How are you running the system now? Only from live CD? How did you boot the system? You can reinstall. I think the CD has some repair utility but if you just installed the system, you can reinstall the whole thing. Did you install along with Windows in a dual boot or is there only UNR on the netbook now? Is grub working? Maybe a false message. I forgot what Wubi is but I think it's Linux on a Windows partition, which might not require grub.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 14:56   #3
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

You can add the third party software repositories to the software list. It's available (maybe by default) in 10.04. That will let you add non-open source freeware that's listed there. I forget what it is called. Maybe "non-free" or something like that.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 06-22-2010 at 14:56..
Old 06-22-2010, 15:30   #4
Linux3

Quote:
What now?
Nothing, you are fine. You don't want grub to install.
You are booting Linux as a windows application right?
So you don't use grub.
If you have a pure Linux system or a dual boot system grub writes over the MBR, the Master Boot Record with a pointer to where grub is installed.
The MBR is the first 512 bytes of a bootable disk.
When you boot such a system the MBR passes over to grub which displays the menu menu.lst, or grub.conf depending on the distro.
You select the O.S. and grub then knows where to find the O.S.s installed on your system and boots the computer from that O.S.

You are running Ubuntu from a file on Windows. If grub installs... Boy will you have a mess.

Read the second check point:
http://wubi-installer.org/

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 15:30   #5
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
You can add the third party software repositories to the software list. It's available (maybe by default) in 10.04. That will let you add non-open source freeware that's listed there. I forget what it is called. Maybe "non-free" or something like that.
I'm not sure how that would help a Grub issue...

duncan.. How many times have I said here not to use Wubi? For testing, or to just get an idea of things(which you should be using a live disk for).. it's fine.. but Wubi is a train wreck waiting to happen. Although i don't *think* that's your issue..it complicates things.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 06-22-2010 at 15:31..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 15:44   #6
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
Nothing, you are fine. You don't want grub to install.
You are booting Linux as a windows application right?
So you don't use grub.
If you have a pure Linux system or a dual boot system grub writes over the MBR, the Master Boot Record with a pointer to where grub is installed.
The MBR is the first 512 bytes of a bootable disk.
When you boot such a system the MBR passes over to grub which displays the menu menu.lst, or grub.conf depending on the distro.
You select the O.S. and grub then knows where to find the O.S.s installed on your system and boots the computer from that O.S.

You are running Ubuntu from a file on Windows. If grub installs... Boy will you have a mess.

Read the second check point:
http://wubi-installer.org/
It's not really as a *file*... He still has a grub configuration on a virtual install.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
Old 06-22-2010, 16:12   #7
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post

IGF
I ,meant it didn't sound like had a problem. Just a message that didn't mean anything and he could move on to the next step.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09   #8
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Quote:

duncan.. How many times have I said here not to use Wubi? For testing, or to just get an idea of things(which you should be using a live disk for).. it's fine.. but Wubi is a train wreck waiting to happen. Although i don't *think* that's your issue..it complicates things.

IGF

I know, I know.

I uninstalled Wubi. Non-issue now.

Then installed USB creator on a 4 gb sd card and it;s now running fine off of the SD but it's a demo not the real thing. any settings I make are lost when I restart the computer
Old 06-23-2010, 03:02   #9
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

There are several ways to install a USB system. It can be a live system which sounds like what you have and is the most popular. You can format the USB drive and use it as a hard drive and do a normal install. The install will take about three times more space on the USB drive and that's not counting a swap partition. There is a hybrid system which stays compressed but can be modified like a normal system.

To do a normal install on USB you only need to run the normal hard drive installer and install it to the USB drive. I have done it to external USB hard drives but you should be able to direct the install to a flash drive. Make sure it is the USB drive ID'd as the drive. The installer should gave a list of drives connected so add the USB drive before running the installer. It will take a pretty big flash drive.

Oh and write grub to the USB drive, that way your windows boot loader won't be overwritten and with the USB drive removed you can boot Windows. With grub on the USB drive you'll have a choice of Linux or Windows when booting the USB drive.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 06-23-2010 at 03:04..
Old 06-23-2010, 15:17   #10
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Oh and write grub to the USB drive, that way your windows boot loader won't be overwritten and with the USB drive removed you can boot Windows. With grub on the USB drive you'll have a choice of Linux or Windows when booting the USB drive.
There's the problem... I've never installed Ubuntu to an external device, for me however, the installer has never asked where to install GRUB, it does it automatically to the MBR. Maybe it's different if you're installing to an external drive...

Just proceed w/ caution if your goal is to not put anything on your hard drive.

IGF
RIP Jack
Old 06-23-2010, 21:31   #11
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
There's the problem... I've never installed Ubuntu to an external device, for me however, the installer has never asked where to install GRUB, it does it automatically to the MBR. Maybe it's different if you're installing to an external drive...

Just proceed w/ caution if your goal is to not put anything on your hard drive.

IGF
Oh yeah I forgot the netbook Ubuntu is a live CD installer only. With other versions of Ubuntu there is the alternate install CD, it does ask where you want the master boot record installed, if at all. There is an issue with installing it to a floppy with 10.04 for some reason. The live CD's may not ask where you want the MBR installed.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 06-23-2010 at 21:32..
Old 06-23-2010, 21:46   #12
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

With a live CD type system on a USB drive I think there is way to add applications and maybe even a way to save settings. I've read a little about it but never really got in to trying it. For an external hard drive you might want to remove the internal hard drive while installing the system on the external drive. That way the Windows master boot record won't be touched. When the external drive is attached the netbook would boot to that and without it it would boot to Windows.
Old 06-25-2010, 00:22   #13
duncan
Lifetime Membership

What about Xubuntu then?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:27   #14
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
What about Xubuntu then?
What about it?

Changing from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, is not going to fix your issue(if it does, then that would be fairly interesting). They are the same OS, that just have different GUI's, and it doesn't sound like Gnome was causing your issue...

You can Google "Persistent USB install", and see what that comes up with. I've never done it, but there's lots of walk through instructions on how to do it.

IGF
RIP Jack
Old 06-25-2010, 05:28   #15
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Xubuntu is available on an alternate install CD and Netbook Ubuntu is not. The alternate install CD allows you to choose the location of the Linux boot loader and the Netbook Ubuntu does not. Using a USB drive or an external hard drive you can install Xubuntu and the boot loader on that drive without touching the Windows master boot record. Download the Xubuntu "alternate" CD. This does not run as a live CD. It works great on netbooks. It is just an installer CD and does not run a live CD system. Hook up the netbook to AC power during the install.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:31   #16
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
What about it?

Changing from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, is not going to fix your issue(if it does, then that would be fairly interesting). They are the same OS, that just have different GUI's, and it doesn't sound like Gnome was causing your issue...

You can Google "Persistent USB install", and see what that comes up with. I've never done it, but there's lots of walk through instructions on how to do it.

IGF
He wouldn't be changing from Ubuntu to Xubuntu. It would be changing from Netbook Ubuntu to Xubuntu. The main difference in all versions is the desktop interface. Xubuntu is available on an alternate CD which may suit his needs better.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:33   #17
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Xubuntu is available on an alternate install CD and Netbook Ubuntu is not. The alternate install CD allows you to choose the location of the Linux boot loader and the Netbook Ubuntu does not. Using a USB drive or an external hard drive you can install Xubuntu and the boot loader on that drive without touching the Windows master boot record. Download the Xubuntu "alternate" CD. This does not run as a live CD. It works great on netbooks. It is just an installer CD and does not run a live CD system. Hook up the netbook to AC power during the install.
Well if that's the case, Ubuntu and Kubuntu also have alternate install CD's.. my point was, it's not a problem that Xubuntu alone is going to solve...

As for the Alt. Install CD... I'll take your word for it.. I've used it lots of times, but was always installing to a single internal drive, so I don't know if it has the capability to install grub somewhere other than the MBR or not..

IGF
RIP Jack
Old 06-25-2010, 06:09   #18
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Xubuntu is good choices for netbooks. Netbooks will run Ubuntu and Kubuntu but their limited resources make those versions seem a bit slow compared to Xubuntu. The interface for Xubuntu is full featured and all Ubuntu apps can be installed and run, same as Netbook Ubuntu. The only it gives up is eye candy that the larger versions have, nothing functional.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:58   #19
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Xubuntu is good choices for netbooks. Netbooks will run Ubuntu and Kubuntu but their limited resources make those versions seem a bit slow compared to Xubuntu. The interface for Xubuntu is full featured and all Ubuntu apps can be installed and run, same as Netbook Ubuntu. The only it gives up is eye candy that the larger versions have, nothing functional.
Funny you would saw that. I just created a bootable 4GB flash card with Xubuntu and Unetbootin. Works fine. But it appears tobe a live version.

Everytime I restart the system, it starts out from scratch again.

How could I save my speed dial settings in Firefox and keep my VLC and media connectivity add-ons in Firefox and keep the system configured - on that flash card?

Install Xubuntu onto the flash card?

Won't I run into MBR issues as stated above?

Dang!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:12   #20
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
I've used Xubuntu fairly extensively.. and I think back in the day, it had some true advantages over a regular Ubuntu install, and was way faster than Kubuntu.

Now however, as Xubuntu has began to pick up more bloat, the gap between it and Ubuntu has narrowed significantly, and frankly, I see no difference at all running them on my Netbook.

Duncan... Unetbootin always creates a live disk when... If you're trying to do a persistent install(where changes are saved) then you need to do what I put in post #14 and Google 'Persistent Ubuntu install" and go from there.. .like I said, there's tons of walkthru's....

The Alternate install CD, is not a Live CD, it's a text based installer...I don't know if it does what GIock40 says it does, I'm just taking him at his word that it does... I've used it fairly extensively to install onto internal drives.

IGF
RIP Jack
Old 06-25-2010, 12:30   #21
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Funny you would saw that. I just created a bootable 4GB flash card with Xubuntu and Unetbootin. Works fine. But it appears tobe a live version.

Everytime I restart the system, it starts out from scratch again.

How could I save my speed dial settings in Firefox and keep my VLC and media connectivity add-ons in Firefox and keep the system configured - on that flash card?

Install Xubuntu onto the flash card?

Won't I run into MBR issues as stated above?

Dang!
You can use the regular installer on the CD but you have to know how Linux ID's your USB drive. Unetbootin is not required but you'll likely need more than a 4GB drive. You might get away with it with Xubuntu as the install is about three times the size of the CD, plus Linux swap partition, plus storage space and some space is needed for updates. It usually requires at least 6 GB but 4 GB might do it. Recently though 8 to 8.5 GB has become the normal sometimes 10 GB. If you can workout 1 to 2 GB of Linux swap partition it should run faster. A cheap external hard drive would be easiest but a large flash drive should work.

The installer on the alternate install CD ask you where you want the Linux boot loader. Put it in the external drive and the Windows MBR should be fine. This is with the Xubuntu Alternate CD not the Desktop CD.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 06-25-2010 at 12:32..
Old 06-26-2010, 02:43   #22
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Well, onto the distro madness!

Tech Talk

Gparted that 4 GB flash drive and loaded Lucid Puppy Linux 5.0.1 and used bootloader to make it visible during booting.

Tried ext2 and it failed to find puppy linux file.

Left as vfat and bam it works.

Now if I can get the resolution right. My ASUS Eee should have a 1024x768 resolution but it's not right and the autodetect is not working.

Any tips?

At least now I don't lose my settings!

Last edited by duncan; 06-26-2010 at 02:46..
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:46   #23
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

The video drivers in Linux can be a bit tricky. Usually by default the 2d drivers are installed. The Intel 3d drivers for Linux are now open source and sometimes when Intel graphics are detected the 3d drivers are installed by default. Also if the video can't be detected the generic vesa 2d drivers are installed and they usually don't have as many resolution options. If you can't find the proper resolution you may need to install the Intel 3d drivers. Or maybe it's just not easy to find how to change the resolution with the setup you have. Can you change resolution at all ? Do you not have the proper resolution as an option or is it you don't know how to change the resolution? I always forget without looking around a bit.

On a side note I have a flash card with Knoppix Linux on it for my netbook. It uses a lightweight desktop and installs the Intel 3d drivers by default. It includes an installer for a USB flash drive. I haven't changed any settings so I don't know if settings are retained but I suspect they are not. Knoppix is fairly fast and has a lot of third party apps included. Now the current version is 6.2.1 which has a kernel update which is good for ATI graphics but the network connection automatic detection is buggy and I went with the previous version which is version 6.2 because my netbook has Intel graphics and the network detection works. The only flaw in it is a kernel header is missing which prevents compiling apps to kernel or something super techy I don't use anyway. I would say for a netbook USB flash drive, Knoppix 6.2 (not 6.2.1) is usable. It's available on CD with quite a few apps or a DVD with just about every app available except one small scientific app that used to be included in older versions. Some of the scientific guys are upset about it but most people don't miss it.
Old 06-29-2010, 00:35   #24
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Puppy Linux 5.0.1 appears to have the right resolution for netbooks being 1024 x 768.

Fast on, fast of, fast apps.

I like toying with Linux as an option.

My mouse app does not work right but it feels good not to be trapped using Uncle Bill's software
Old 06-29-2010, 03:29   #25
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Puppy Linux is fast because it loads completely into memory and runs from the computer memory instead of the drive, be it USB or internal. There is a cheat code when booting the Knoppix CD that will also load it in memory but I don't think it's easy to do from a USB or hard drive install. When you do it with the Knoppix CD (and maybe Puppy) after it loads you can remove the CD and run the system from memory. When it shuts down, it's gone.