Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 23:25   #1
duncan
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
duncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,978


ASUS Netbook - Ubuntu grub-pc failed to install?

Just got done installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.4 with Wubi on my ASUS netbook.

THEN the Update Manager installs packages fine until the grub.

Error message - grub failed to install.

Ubuntu apps seems to run fine. Using Firefox inside UNR right now as I type.

What now?
__________________
The Seattle SharpShooter - G27/33, G19, G29, G20, G21, G34, G35
Reload .223, 9mm, 40SW, 357 SIG, 10mm, 44Mag, 45 ACP Lately?

Last edited by duncan; 06-21-2010 at 23:32..
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 14:53   #2
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Just got done installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.4 with Wubi on my ASUS netbook.

THEN the Update Manager installs packages fine until the grub.

Error message - grub failed to install.

Ubuntu apps seems to run fine. Using Firefox inside UNR right now as I type.

What now?
How are you running the system now? Only from live CD? How did you boot the system? You can reinstall. I think the CD has some repair utility but if you just installed the system, you can reinstall the whole thing. Did you install along with Windows in a dual boot or is there only UNR on the netbook now? Is grub working? Maybe a false message. I forgot what Wubi is but I think it's Linux on a Windows partition, which might not require grub.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 14:56   #3
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
You can add the third party software repositories to the software list. It's available (maybe by default) in 10.04. That will let you add non-open source freeware that's listed there. I forget what it is called. Maybe "non-free" or something like that.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 06-22-2010 at 14:56..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 15:30   #4
Linux3
Senior Member
 
Linux3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Just got done installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.4 with Wubi on my ASUS netbook.
THEN the Update Manager installs packages fine until the grub.
Error message - grub failed to install.
Ubuntu apps seems to run fine. Using Firefox inside UNR right now as I type.
What now?
Nothing, you are fine. You don't want grub to install.
You are booting Linux as a windows application right?
So you don't use grub.
If you have a pure Linux system or a dual boot system grub writes over the MBR, the Master Boot Record with a pointer to where grub is installed.
The MBR is the first 512 bytes of a bootable disk.
When you boot such a system the MBR passes over to grub which displays the menu menu.lst, or grub.conf depending on the distro.
You select the O.S. and grub then knows where to find the O.S.s installed on your system and boots the computer from that O.S.

You are running Ubuntu from a file on Windows. If grub installs... Boy will you have a mess.

Read the second check point:
http://wubi-installer.org/
__________________
It it's not on fire,
It's a software problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 15:30   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,293
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
You can add the third party software repositories to the software list. It's available (maybe by default) in 10.04. That will let you add non-open source freeware that's listed there. I forget what it is called. Maybe "non-free" or something like that.
I'm not sure how that would help a Grub issue...

duncan.. How many times have I said here not to use Wubi? For testing, or to just get an idea of things(which you should be using a live disk for).. it's fine.. but Wubi is a train wreck waiting to happen. Although i don't *think* that's your issue..it complicates things.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 06-22-2010 at 15:31..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 15:44   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,293
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
Nothing, you are fine. You don't want grub to install.
You are booting Linux as a windows application right?
So you don't use grub.
If you have a pure Linux system or a dual boot system grub writes over the MBR, the Master Boot Record with a pointer to where grub is installed.
The MBR is the first 512 bytes of a bootable disk.
When you boot such a system the MBR passes over to grub which displays the menu menu.lst, or grub.conf depending on the distro.
You select the O.S. and grub then knows where to find the O.S.s installed on your system and boots the computer from that O.S.

You are running Ubuntu from a file on Windows. If grub installs... Boy will you have a mess.

Read the second check point:
http://wubi-installer.org/
It's not really as a *file*... He still has a grub configuration on a virtual install.
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 16:12   #7
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I'm not sure how that would help a Grub issue...

IGF
I ,meant it didn't sound like had a problem. Just a message that didn't mean anything and he could move on to the next step.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09   #8
duncan
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
duncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,978


Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I'm not sure how that would help a Grub issue...

duncan.. How many times have I said here not to use Wubi? For testing, or to just get an idea of things(which you should be using a live disk for).. it's fine.. but Wubi is a train wreck waiting to happen. Although i don't *think* that's your issue..it complicates things.

IGF

I know, I know.

I uninstalled Wubi. Non-issue now.

Then installed USB creator on a 4 gb sd card and it;s now running fine off of the SD but it's a demo not the real thing. any settings I make are lost when I restart the computer
__________________
The Seattle SharpShooter - G27/33, G19, G29, G20, G21, G34, G35
Reload .223, 9mm, 40SW, 357 SIG, 10mm, 44Mag, 45 ACP Lately?
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:02   #9
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
There are several ways to install a USB system. It can be a live system which sounds like what you have and is the most popular. You can format the USB drive and use it as a hard drive and do a normal install. The install will take about three times more space on the USB drive and that's not counting a swap partition. There is a hybrid system which stays compressed but can be modified like a normal system.

To do a normal install on USB you only need to run the normal hard drive installer and install it to the USB drive. I have done it to external USB hard drives but you should be able to direct the install to a flash drive. Make sure it is the USB drive ID'd as the drive. The installer should gave a list of drives connected so add the USB drive before running the installer. It will take a pretty big flash drive.

Oh and write grub to the USB drive, that way your windows boot loader won't be overwritten and with the USB drive removed you can boot Windows. With grub on the USB drive you'll have a choice of Linux or Windows when booting the USB drive.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 06-23-2010 at 03:04..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 15:17   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,293
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Oh and write grub to the USB drive, that way your windows boot loader won't be overwritten and with the USB drive removed you can boot Windows. With grub on the USB drive you'll have a choice of Linux or Windows when booting the USB drive.
There's the problem... I've never installed Ubuntu to an external device, for me however, the installer has never asked where to install GRUB, it does it automatically to the MBR. Maybe it's different if you're installing to an external drive...

Just proceed w/ caution if your goal is to not put anything on your hard drive.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 21:31   #11
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
There's the problem... I've never installed Ubuntu to an external device, for me however, the installer has never asked where to install GRUB, it does it automatically to the MBR. Maybe it's different if you're installing to an external drive...

Just proceed w/ caution if your goal is to not put anything on your hard drive.

IGF
Oh yeah I forgot the netbook Ubuntu is a live CD installer only. With other versions of Ubuntu there is the alternate install CD, it does ask where you want the master boot record installed, if at all. There is an issue with installing it to a floppy with 10.04 for some reason. The live CD's may not ask where you want the MBR installed.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 06-23-2010 at 21:32..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 21:46   #12
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
With a live CD type system on a USB drive I think there is way to add applications and maybe even a way to save settings. I've read a little about it but never really got in to trying it. For an external hard drive you might want to remove the internal hard drive while installing the system on the external drive. That way the Windows master boot record won't be touched. When the external drive is attached the netbook would boot to that and without it it would boot to Windows.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 00:22   #13
duncan
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
duncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,978


What about Xubuntu then?
__________________
The Seattle SharpShooter - G27/33, G19, G29, G20, G21, G34, G35
Reload .223, 9mm, 40SW, 357 SIG, 10mm, 44Mag, 45 ACP Lately?
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:27   #14
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,293
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
What about Xubuntu then?
What about it?

Changing from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, is not going to fix your issue(if it does, then that would be fairly interesting). They are the same OS, that just have different GUI's, and it doesn't sound like Gnome was causing your issue...

You can Google "Persistent USB install", and see what that comes up with. I've never done it, but there's lots of walk through instructions on how to do it.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:28   #15
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
Xubuntu is available on an alternate install CD and Netbook Ubuntu is not. The alternate install CD allows you to choose the location of the Linux boot loader and the Netbook Ubuntu does not. Using a USB drive or an external hard drive you can install Xubuntu and the boot loader on that drive without touching the Windows master boot record. Download the Xubuntu "alternate" CD. This does not run as a live CD. It works great on netbooks. It is just an installer CD and does not run a live CD system. Hook up the netbook to AC power during the install.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:31   #16
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
What about it?

Changing from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, is not going to fix your issue(if it does, then that would be fairly interesting). They are the same OS, that just have different GUI's, and it doesn't sound like Gnome was causing your issue...

You can Google "Persistent USB install", and see what that comes up with. I've never done it, but there's lots of walk through instructions on how to do it.

IGF
He wouldn't be changing from Ubuntu to Xubuntu. It would be changing from Netbook Ubuntu to Xubuntu. The main difference in all versions is the desktop interface. Xubuntu is available on an alternate CD which may suit his needs better.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:33   #17
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,293
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Xubuntu is available on an alternate install CD and Netbook Ubuntu is not. The alternate install CD allows you to choose the location of the Linux boot loader and the Netbook Ubuntu does not. Using a USB drive or an external hard drive you can install Xubuntu and the boot loader on that drive without touching the Windows master boot record. Download the Xubuntu "alternate" CD. This does not run as a live CD. It works great on netbooks. It is just an installer CD and does not run a live CD system. Hook up the netbook to AC power during the install.
Well if that's the case, Ubuntu and Kubuntu also have alternate install CD's.. my point was, it's not a problem that Xubuntu alone is going to solve...

As for the Alt. Install CD... I'll take your word for it.. I've used it lots of times, but was always installing to a single internal drive, so I don't know if it has the capability to install grub somewhere other than the MBR or not..

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:09   #18
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
Xubuntu is good choices for netbooks. Netbooks will run Ubuntu and Kubuntu but their limited resources make those versions seem a bit slow compared to Xubuntu. The interface for Xubuntu is full featured and all Ubuntu apps can be installed and run, same as Netbook Ubuntu. The only it gives up is eye candy that the larger versions have, nothing functional.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:58   #19
duncan
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
duncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,978


Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Xubuntu is good choices for netbooks. Netbooks will run Ubuntu and Kubuntu but their limited resources make those versions seem a bit slow compared to Xubuntu. The interface for Xubuntu is full featured and all Ubuntu apps can be installed and run, same as Netbook Ubuntu. The only it gives up is eye candy that the larger versions have, nothing functional.
Funny you would saw that. I just created a bootable 4GB flash card with Xubuntu and Unetbootin. Works fine. But it appears tobe a live version.

Everytime I restart the system, it starts out from scratch again.

How could I save my speed dial settings in Firefox and keep my VLC and media connectivity add-ons in Firefox and keep the system configured - on that flash card?

Install Xubuntu onto the flash card?

Won't I run into MBR issues as stated above?

Dang!
__________________
The Seattle SharpShooter - G27/33, G19, G29, G20, G21, G34, G35
Reload .223, 9mm, 40SW, 357 SIG, 10mm, 44Mag, 45 ACP Lately?
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:12   #20
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,293
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Xubuntu is good choices for netbooks. Netbooks will run Ubuntu and Kubuntu but their limited resources make those versions seem a bit slow compared to Xubuntu. The interface for Xubuntu is full featured and all Ubuntu apps can be installed and run, same as Netbook Ubuntu. The only it gives up is eye candy that the larger versions have, nothing functional.
I've used Xubuntu fairly extensively.. and I think back in the day, it had some true advantages over a regular Ubuntu install, and was way faster than Kubuntu.

Now however, as Xubuntu has began to pick up more bloat, the gap between it and Ubuntu has narrowed significantly, and frankly, I see no difference at all running them on my Netbook.

Duncan... Unetbootin always creates a live disk when... If you're trying to do a persistent install(where changes are saved) then you need to do what I put in post #14 and Google 'Persistent Ubuntu install" and go from there.. .like I said, there's tons of walkthru's....

The Alternate install CD, is not a Live CD, it's a text based installer...I don't know if it does what GIock40 says it does, I'm just taking him at his word that it does... I've used it fairly extensively to install onto internal drives.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:01.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,253
328 Members
925 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31