SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:54   #1
CDR_Glock

Practice for Self Defense and a question about Glocks

Mas

In your book, Combat Handgunnery, you talk about joining gun clubs or seeking formal instruction. Alternatively, you mention shooting with a friend or colleague for one to one competition.

I practice drawing my weapon from holsters, as well as dry firing drills. I practice shooting stronghand, weak hand, two hand and from the hip. My particular range does not facilitate shooting on the move or shooting at moving targets. Aside from just competing, are there tips/drills that you recommend for preparing one's self for shooting for self defense?

Lastly, I was reading a review by Mr Quinn from Gunblast.com and he reviewed and recommended a recoil reduction system for Glocks. He said it reduced recoil helping for easier followup shots. The link for the system that he refers is below. Is there truly an advantage of a system like this? I would personally want to switch from the plastic guide rod to a metal type. What specific rod would you recommend for a Glock 23 and Glock 27?

http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/home/
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 17:37   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

CDR, I haven't worked with the recoil control device you linked, and so cannot comment on it. Metal recoil spring guide? I've used a couple of them and had no problems, but frankly, haven't had any problems personally in all these years with the standard guide rods that come from Glock.

I'd be tossing that question upstream in GATE to JR, our resident expert on Glock hardware.

On your training question, lots of the MOST important stuff can be done at home, or during a walk in the woods. The mind-set stuff. The determination that given stimulus A, you WILL carry out response A. Developing the certainty that you can use this level of force, however repugnant to you it may be, if you absolutely must.

If you mean working on the mechanics at home, your example of shooting on the move can be dealt with to some degree in CAREFUL, SAFE dry fire practice. "Reading the sights" will help you determine which movement pattern or technnique is least disturbing to hold, to aim, to trigger pull. Doing this dry with a laser sight will also help you determine the smoothness and potential accuracy of each movement pattern you experiment with.

best of luck,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 18:26   #3
CDR_Glock

Mas

Thank you for the responses. I had also posed the Recoil Reduction Question to JR. I just figured if it was something worthwhile, you would have known about those. It is likely not worth investing $70 to find out.

Regarding practice, one thing my brother in law introduced to me was the following drill:

1 Close my eyes
2 When he says "Open", I pick up th gun, quickly sight the target and fire 2 shots

I would like to do more practical drills that come closer to a real situation. Maybe, one day I can take one of your courses.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote