GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 16:30   #1
Tarmajin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 107
Tactical Tomahawk

For some reason I can not stop looking at tomahawks. The ones from rmj forge are awesome, along with a bunch of others. The only real question I have is, do I really need one?
Tarmajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 17:34   #2
BRabbit
Senior Member
 
BRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 958
I have a couple of the SOG Fusion models. One older green wooden handled one from many years back when they first came out and 2 composite handled newer ones for my boys.

But the most handy "little axe" has been a Gerber campaxe I picked up a Bass Pro Shop. I used it to clear shooting lanes last year before deer season, and a myriad of other tasks when a hatchet was too small and a full size axe overkill. ETA: It is so handy, I gave the 1st one to my 70 year old mom for chores around her yard and for cutting small wood for fireplace starter and bought a 2nd that stays in my truck tool box.

Last edited by BRabbit; 06-29-2010 at 17:37..
BRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 00:11   #3
ronin.45
Senior Member
 
ronin.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OHIO
Posts: 8,823
Not many people need a tomahawk. That shouldn't sway you though. I have a SOG Fusion that I like and it has never cut anything. Toys don't need a purpose they can just be for fun(and the impending zombie apocalypse of course).
__________________
As I go through life I keep coming to the same conclusion, people are generally stupid.
ronin.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:25   #4
Tarmajin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 107
I understand having toys that I dont need, I have plenty. I also live close to sog, and my buddy has a fusion. I was mostly wondering if I need one that is more high quality, like the ones from rmj forge or similar. Those run almost $500. They are sexy as hell, but Im just not sure that I need one. Perhaps I can get by with the fusion. Thanks for your responses.
Tarmajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 18:51   #5
Legion Etrangere
Senior Member
 
Legion Etrangere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western US
Posts: 161
Bought a Cold Steel Viet Nam Tomahawk when they first came out. Have never used it, sits in the trunk of the car waiting for the Vombie attack. Bought it cause it looked tactacool. Or what ever the term is for "want new toy" is.
Legion Etrangere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:39   #6
Cicero
Senior Member
 
Cicero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 683
If you buy a tomahawk, you then need to manufacture situations in which you'll use it. I've got a Cold Steel rifleman hawk that I take packing if I'm not worried about weight (i.e. up to a 3 day hike). It cuts through anything I would want cut, pounds stakes in if I need that, and looks cool.

If you're around the house, though, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to get it out unless you want to work on your grip / forearm strength while cross training. A 18oz claw hammer is way more comfortable to work with for hammering, plus you don't have the odd feeling that you could accidentally smack yourself in the face with a blade. For anything that you would need a hatchet for, modern technology has provided a safer alternative in the form of a chainsaw.

I was serious about the cross training, though. I do get mine out periodically as a workout tool. 10 minutes of chopping per hand and you can feel the burn in your forearms and develop a grip like iron. That plus a 20-30lb sledge and you're going to get some rock hard shoulder, lat, arm, core, and hand muscles.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 13:52   #7
9jeeps
Fogey
 
9jeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: at the end of the road
Posts: 4,209
Always disappointed to pull into camp spaces and see all the trees hacked on by goofballs with Machete's , Hatchets, Tomahawks, etc.

Yet have always had an urge to look upon and to have a collection of Tomahawks. Maybe one day I'll just up and buy one.
__________________
FOGEY
Trying to make
sense of it all.
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 18:15   #8
BigJoe13
Senior Member
 
BigJoe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Arizona
Posts: 205
Think I go 9 or so hawks. Very fun to throw and use for hacking stuff up. Mostly used for kindling before it snows here, as the maul and full sized ax are better for splitting, not so much the fine work of making kindling.

If you can drop 5 bills on a preimium hand made tool, I am a bit jealous.

Get a beater model as close to the one you are eyeing first to see how much you use it. otherwise make a nice display board to mout it on as a goversation piece during family get togethers/social events.
BigJoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 18:59   #9
357ruger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 279
I've got a few,latest being a GG&G bought off e-bay for $129.00 shipped.New,never used.Keep a close check on newly listed stuff for sale and you might run up on a deal.The one I got goes for about $260.00+shipping new.Also come with a very nice sheath.
357ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 21:55   #10
stgha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pataskala OH
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357ruger View Post
I've got a few,latest being a GG&G bought off e-bay for $129.00 shipped.New,never used.Keep a close check on newly listed stuff for sale and you might run up on a deal.The one I got goes for about $260.00+shipping new.Also come with a very nice sheath.
nice get on the GG&G!
Been looking at those for a while now, what do you think of it??

Steve
stgha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38   #11
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp
 
Magnus2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 11,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion Etrangere View Post
Bought a Cold Steel Viet Nam Tomahawk when they first came out. Have never used it, sits in the trunk of the car waiting for the Vombie attack. Bought it cause it looked tactacool. Or what ever the term is for "want new toy" is.
Was looking at that myself. I would just get it for the coolness factor.
__________________
Quote:
LW would have laughed that round off her chest.
Quote:
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 19:29   #12
357ruger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgha View Post
nice get on the GG&G!
Been looking at those for a while now, what do you think of it??

Steve
Very well made and almost to nice to use.Got a cold steel spike that's really nice and they only go for about $27.00.I would buy another GG&G in a second for that price again but I think alot of luck was involved in that.Give cold steel a look.You can always replace the handle and the spike is about 3-4" long.
357ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:41   #13
stgha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pataskala OH
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357ruger View Post
Very well made and almost to nice to use.Got a cold steel spike that's really nice and they only go for about $27.00.I would buy another GG&G in a second for that price again but I think alot of luck was involved in that.Give cold steel a look.You can always replace the handle and the spike is about 3-4" long.
Already have a CS that I mod. with a hook on the beard and parawrap on the handle. Also have a Nemisis and a K5, should be getting a RMJ from a friend of mine in the future....

Steve
stgha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 17:50   #14
357ruger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 279
Also have a Lagana vtac that's nice except for the handle.Might be strong but it's slick as snot,even with those ridges.Need to wrap it with something.The GG&G is extremely well built and I'm sure you would agree if you held one but I would not have mine but for the low price.I just happened to catch it on e-bay,newly listed buy it now.Even used bing for an additional 8% off so I paid $120.00 shipped.I guess every dog has his day.
357ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 18:02   #15
Jeepnik
Senior Member
 
Jeepnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,726
So I have a question. What's the difference between a "tactical" tomahawk versus a "strategic" tomahawk, versus just a" plain old regular tomahawk"?

Is a "tactical" tomahawk used by a "high speed operator", as opposed to a "strategic" tomakawk which can take out larger targets further from the fight and thrown by a "regular long distance operator". If so, then I figure the "plain old regular tomahawk" is what us normal speed type tomahawk throwers would use.

Tactical: noun, verb, adverb, adjective; The most overused hype-word in the english language.
__________________
Jeepnik "AKA Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow, and preferrably in the dark".
Jeepnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 19:19   #16
357ruger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 279
None of mine say tactical,strategic or anything else so you should be able to use any of these unless you're accident prone.
357ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 22:30   #17
stgha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pataskala OH
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnik View Post
So I have a question. What's the difference between a "tactical" tomahawk versus a "strategic" tomahawk, versus just a" plain old regular tomahawk"?

Is a "tactical" tomahawk used by a "high speed operator", as opposed to a "strategic" tomakawk which can take out larger targets further from the fight and thrown by a "regular long distance operator". If so, then I figure the "plain old regular tomahawk" is what us normal speed type tomahawk throwers would use.

Tactical: noun, verb, adverb, adjective; The most overused hype-word in the english language.
Beats the ******* out of me what the difference is....
Probably what someone wants to designate something with the "Tacti-Cool" phrase of the day.
I designate my hawks as to what I would use them for:

My CS-more of a fighter as it is the lightest I have, therefore changes direction quickest (and because I modified it with a hook on the beard to assist with pulling/ripping maneuvers)

My Nemisis hawk is more of a prybar in my eyes. I has a thinner head that can be rotated vertical for prying use.

My K5 is a breaching tool. kind of heavy to fight with, but will go through most anything I have put in it's way....

Steve
stgha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 20:23   #18
Jeepnik
Senior Member
 
Jeepnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgha View Post
Beats the ******* out of me what the difference is....
Probably what someone wants to designate something with the "Tacti-Cool" phrase of the day.
I designate my hawks as to what I would use them for:

My CS-more of a fighter as it is the lightest I have, therefore changes direction quickest (and because I modified it with a hook on the beard to assist with pulling/ripping maneuvers)

My Nemisis hawk is more of a prybar in my eyes. I has a thinner head that can be rotated vertical for prying use.

My K5 is a breaching tool. kind of heavy to fight with, but will go through most anything I have put in it's way....

Steve
Now this makes sense. Got photos or web site?
__________________
Jeepnik "AKA Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow, and preferrably in the dark".
Jeepnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12   #19
stgha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pataskala OH
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnik View Post
Now this makes sense. Got photos or web site?
no website yet, I don't make any hawks. I can probably post some pics of the ones I have.
stgha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 13:19   #20
w4004p
Senior Member
 
w4004p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: florida
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnik View Post
So I have a question. What's the difference between a "tactical" tomahawk versus a "strategic" tomahawk, versus just a" plain old regular tomahawk"?

Is a "tactical" tomahawk used by a "high speed operator", as opposed to a "strategic" tomakawk which can take out larger targets further from the fight and thrown by a "regular long distance operator". If so, then I figure the "plain old regular tomahawk" is what us normal speed type tomahawk throwers would use.

Tactical: noun, verb, adverb, adjective; The most overused hype-word in the english language.
member when "Assault" used to be the catch phrase? to the point they even used it to contradict itself when creating a make believe catagory of bannable firearms - "Semi Auto Assault Rifle" (there's no such thing lol)

i don't want a Tactical Tomahawk, i want an Assault Hatchet

seriously though, OP - as far as how much money do you need to spend in order to get the equipment you need. well, you have to think about 2 questions: (1) how much are you going to abuse it (2) in the event it fails, during this abuse, what are the consequences.

personally, i'd buy the SOG and if i broke it, then i'd look at something more expensive.
__________________
Holsters, Sheaths, Mag Pouches, etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
w4004p is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 744
131 Members
613 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42