SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-29-2010, 22:25   #1
CDR_Glock

Buying guns for a purpose?

Mas

I was just curious. Many posts in cyberspace, glocktalk included, describe the ownership of numerous guns of different brands, different purposes, different mechanisms (ie SA/DA/DAO) and different calibers.

I, myself, am guilty by having 3 different calibers (357, 40 and 45 ACP). Revolvers are SA/DA, pistols are SA and DAO, respectively.

Do you recommend buying guns with a particular function, such as for home defense versus Concealed carry? Would it make more sense to buy guns with a similar design, even with different calibers (ie Glocks) versus different guns with different calibers? Does having multiple platforms of guns decrease one's proficiency, in your experience/opinion? Should a person just "master" one or two calibers or designs to become proficient at defense?

Thank you, as always.

CDR Glock
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

John Bianchi's Law -- "one kind of gun, same place, all the time" -- makes a lot of sense to a lot of people, particularly those Mark Moritz called NDPs, or "non-dedicated personnel."

The more time you spend acclimating to the different gun designs, the more fluidly you'll find yourself going between them. Some simply adapt to different manuals of arms more readily than others. Key thing is core manipulations. If your plan is "draw, aim, pull trigger," your transition between, say, a Glock and a J-frame will go more smoothly than if your primary is a 1911 with a downward sweeping safety, but your backup is a Walther .380 carried with its upward-sweeping safety engaged.

Up to the individual. Certainly, the more the tools work the same, the more easily the user can transition between them.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 19:30   #3
CDR_Glock

I have read that Springfield Armory XD and Glocks have different grip angles. When I fired the first shot with an XD, I shot higher than on a Glock. That had me puzzled.

What is the significance of one grip angle with another?

This was one of my concerns with using guns of different platforms.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:40   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Since the Glock has a steeper grip angle than the XD, most will shoot higher with the Glock than with the XD if they're not visually aiming.

The general presumption is that with the wrist locked, the middle knuckle of the hand will be in line with the long bones of the forearm. However, hand size and shape, individual variations in hand/arm configuration, and habituation can all be factors in a gun pointing dead on for Shooter A, but high or low for Shooter B.

Like so many factors in handgun shooting, pointing is an individual thing. I find that the XD points a little low for me, but it may be because I shoot Glocks more than XDs.

Very subjective, very individual factor.

Good luck with it,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote