Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:51   #1
Cheytac

Rx Shooting Glasses

First of all I hope that I am posting in the correct section.

I am going to start shooting somoe IDPA and maybe USPSA. However, I am getting older (not old) and my eyes aren't what they once were. I need glasses for both near and distance.

What do you, who need them, wear? Distance? Reading? Intermediate? Progressive? Bi-Focals?

And what brand of safety/shooting glasses do you find that you can get your Rx in?

Thanks

Last edited by Cheytac; 07-02-2010 at 11:52.. Reason: Spelling
Cheytac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:06   #2

I took an old pair of oakley straight jackets into my eye doctor, had him put prescription clear lenses in them, works good for indoor ranges and low light shooting.

The only things that I noticed were that my front sight was sharper, and my group sizes shrunk a little bit.
6734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:09   #3
ron59
Bustin Caps

A discussion regarding this went on just last month:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225452

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:20   #4
Cheytac

Thanks fellas.

So Ron, it seems after reading the other thread (thank you) I just need to focus on my front site. Or pay the $$$ and get split lenses.

I'll start with the single vision front site focus and go from there.

Any others with thoughts/ideas please chime in. Playing with Rx glasses can get expensive quick. That is why I am asking you pros experienced competitive shooters) here.
Old 07-02-2010, 13:12   #5
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheytac View Post
Thanks fellas.

So Ron, it seems after reading the other thread (thank you) I just need to focus on my front site. Or pay the $$$ and get split lenses.

Any others with thoughts/ideas please chime in. Playing with Rx glasses can get expensive quick. That is why I am asking you pros experienced competitive shooters) here.
First, Walmart is your friend. My glasses cost $48 on sale. Just get $8 sunglasses frames (they have a section), get big ones, and then it's only a single vision cost for the glasses. They don't care that one eye is set for X distance and the other is for Y distance. It's just a perscription to them.

Second, you need a eyedoctor that will get the dominate/shooting eye on the front sight and the none dominiate eye set for distance.

Thats pretty much it. If you need better then that your going to have to experiment. BUT if your new to needing shooting glasses that should take care of you nicely.
Old 07-02-2010, 13:52   #6
JimM_PA

Quote:
Thanks fellas.

I'm working through the same issues right now. I have bifocals. I was in the process of checking out the Rx options for new glasses, as well as fiber optic sights, when I came across some discussions about using nail polish or fishing jig paint on the front sight. I put some bright green jig paint on the front sight of my G22, and found that I am able to pick up the front sight much quicker. I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun yet but I'm going to try this setup for awhile before investing in new glasses.
Jim
JimM_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 14:09   #7
Colorado4Wheel

I just got into bifocals. Get the glasses. We spend way more then $48 on other stuff related to shooting. The glasses are worth way more then that. Even my buddy who had $300 glasses went and got some of my Walmart glasses after he saw the cost and product.
Old 07-02-2010, 16:19   #8
Cheytac

I'm not new to glasses by any means. I have just been target shooting with different ones. Now that I plan to be moving around and "competing" (even if it is against my own time to start with) I am looking for better options.

The inexpensive Wall-World Rx sounds like a plan. Better than the $300-$500 from my eye Doc.

Thanks all.

Anyone else?
Old 07-02-2010, 23:06   #9
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
RX Shooting Glasses??

I went to my Eyeglasses doctor and told him what I wanted. I am right eye dominant and only need Reading glasses (1.75 Diopter) for both. I shoot with both eyes open. Right eye gets 1.75 diopter and the left eye gets 1.25 diopter. Glasses get Yellow tint to enhance color to target view, front sight is in focus and the target is in focus. Total was just under $150 for a yearly exam and 1 pair of glasses. My insurance paid for $120 of the total cost. YMMV.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:18   #10
wmspdi

I use no-line bifocals. The upper part of the lens Rx is for distance and the lower part is the near Rx for reading like a normal bifocal. Unlike a regular bifocal there is no sharp transistion line between the prescriptons. The area between the upper and lower part of the lens is a constant smooth transition from far to near. I simply look through whatever area of the lens I need (by slightly raising or lowering my head) to obtain a sharp focus of the subject at any distance. Works for me.
wmspdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:53   #11
bisdak

Check this site http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...howtopic=18008
Old 07-06-2010, 07:29   #12
Cheytac

Thanks GTers. I apprciate all of the comments and help. Keep it coming.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:32   #13
Little Joe
Platinum Membership

I use these Stickonbifocals reading lenses on a regular pair of shooting glasses. $14.99 includes shipping. It puts my sights in focus for me. Especially useful indoors under low lighting. I can get by without them outdoors using Fiber Optic sights.

You want the sights in focus. You will learn with practice where to line them up on the silhouette of the target for best scoring. The target doesn't have to be crystal clear.

http://www.stickonbifocals.com/

I hope this helps you. It works for me.
Little Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 13:10   #14
Olivers_AR

First suggestion is goto a Dr that specializes in shooting glasses. There is one in our area highly recommended by top shooters.

A good Dr will let you sight with your Unloaded weapon, the Dr I went to in the past has Jr shooters line up on the floor to get a good measurement with a rifle.

I did get the flipped Bi-focals and worth it. The theory is that you acquire the target with the long distance lower/middle portion and dip your head/eyes and the close up portion only focuses on the front sight, which has been measured by the Dr.

It takes some getting use to, but has improved scores. The best thing is that it's covered by prescription plans or health care reimbursement plans (its a script by the way). If you didn't do a HC plan in 2010, do one in 2011 and put aside money for "shooting" glasses.

No I don't use them for driving, and it is my understanding that plumbers and mechanics also use them. Ever look up at something close under a car or a overhead pipe, now you understand the theory vs bending your head way back
Olivers_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 22:14   #15
MoNsTeR

http://decot.com/
MoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 13:19   #16
Cheytac

Thanks again GTers.

Does anyone know of a great eye-doc in the Tampa Bay area that understands shooting?
Old 07-07-2010, 17:59   #17
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Thanks again GTers.

Does anyone know of a great eye-doc in the Tampa Bay area that understands shooting?
It's suprisingly easy to find someone to work with you.

You can call around and ask if they will let you bring in your gun for the testing.

OR

Measure the front sight to your eye distance and just get your eyedoctor to set your dominate eye for clear focus at that distance. They have adjustable rods that make this easy. Just call and ask the doctor if they will work with you in that fashion.