Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2010, 23:17   #1
RWROD

Red dots

I was wondering if anyone used a red dot sight on there shotgun. I was thinking about mounting one on my work 870. Pros and Cons? Time it takes to turn it on when I need it (jumping out of the car)? I look at a 870 as a 30yrd weapon with 00 buck. I see that TruGlo makes a TFO front sight for the 870 for like $80, a better option?
RWROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 23:56   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

If you're running an Aimpoint, probably an H-1, turning it on is not the problem as they run five years constant on.

I wouldn't use a dot other than an Aimpoint for serious purposes, and yes, I have used one on duty in harsh conditions for years, on rifles. On a shotgun, honestly.......most people with buck are fine with a bead, or ghost ring. A dot scope will speed up the acquisition slightly for distance work with slugs over most iron sights, but at social distances (under 20 yards) a good XS Big Dot bead would work well and cost less. Same idea (dot=bang).

For rifles, any of the current Aimpoint models (M2, 3, 4, T-1) all work well.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:38   #3
MTPD

Tru-Glo makes a great red dot and 870 mount combo for about $80 if you don't want to spend the bucks for an AimPoint.

Last edited by MTPD; 07-03-2010 at 06:42..
MTPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 16:48   #4
Aceman

Circle dot is a better reticule for SG, IMO. Try Eotech.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 17:39   #5
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

I would love an aimpoint ... So expensive tho. But really ? You just leave it on ALLL the time ? That's awesome and redonk at the same time !

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 21:18   #6
m24shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
If you're running an Aimpoint, probably an H-1, turning it on is not the problem as they run five years constant on.
That depends on what setting you have it on. It can be as short as 6 or 7 months.
You can still run it pretty high and have it last for a year or two.
m24shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:22   #7
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Setting 7 or 8, which is the "default" setting will last about 50-80,000 hours.

Not only is that direct from Aimpoint (not a manual, the head of mil/LE sales, as well as various other people I've worked with over there profesionally) but I know more than one guy whos' had a T-1 turned on for several years straight. My old M2 ran for 3 years turned on 90% of the time and it only has a 10,000 hr estimated life.

Eotechs have problems, known, accepted, I run a couple in an evaluatory role, but for WORK gun.......Aimpoint. I won't trust anything else because i've seen everything else fail or know those who have. For a hunting gun, sure, run a Truglo. If it's a work gun, as he stated.......Aimpoint.

Either that or an XS bead. Eotechs, aside from failure rate, sit far too high over bore for most shotgun stocks.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."

Last edited by MrMurphy; 07-04-2010 at 01:23..
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08   #8
Darkangel1846

At 30 yards I don't think you need a red dot, if your using OO Buck...... now if your using slugs and need to be more accurate maybe.
Old 07-04-2010, 13:04   #9
m24shooter

Murphy-
Agreed on the Micro. I've had one at 7 and 8 for over a year. I've dialed it up higher for a few hours a couple of times. I won't get/use another RDS except for a Micro from now on. I like them. I use the "book values" as a guideline for changing batteries but I've left the one I use most on for the able year with the same battery.
I've also got a post-Rev F Eothingy on a carbine that's never given me probs but I'm about half expecting it to.
m24shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 13:48   #10
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

But the $1,000 ACOG doesn't use batteries , and how does it last ? I am just very interested in the difference. Believe it or not a sweet combat optic is something I really want but cannot afford at all n

Old 07-05-2010, 00:40   #11
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

You're not even in the right conversation.....................

ACOGs use tritium and fiberoptic and are magnified. You "can" use one at room distance but i would never choose to if i had the option unless it was one of the baby 1.5X models maybe.

The LaRue offset T-1 mount was made specifically for this reason for a .mil unit.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:05   #12
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Well ok don't be a duck im just tryig to learn

Old 07-05-2010, 10:08   #13
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I think the right choice for a shotgun would be something like the Armson OEG. The older ones had tritium in them, and I understand that now they are a seperate business from Trijicon they are working on getting their own tritium inserts. I have been thinking about getting one if these for my 930.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:36   #14
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I'm not being "a duck" merely noting that you're voicing an ACOG question in the shotgun forum.

The Armson OEG was a good idea 30 years ago, however with modern optics and the fact that not everyone is strong-side dominant......not really a fan.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:06   #15
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

It just seemed to me a better sight for a shotgun than anything else. I have never really warmed up to the see through red dot sights yet, maybe I am their only fan, doesn't seem like there are a lot of companies making OEGs these days. Plus Trijicon dumped them so they must not have been making any money at that either.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:22   #16
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

With both eyes open, the concept works the same. But the tube type is more usable by non strongside dominant eyed people (left dominant eye shooting righty if it's not extremely dominant).

It's not like looking through a conventional rifle scope, you're looking at the target and bringing the dot onto it. I've spent.....hell thousands of hours from 2005-2008 staring through an Aimpoint at just about everything from vehicles and aircraft and people running around clearing rooms. It's very intuitive and quick. Having messed around with an OEG, I think the Aimpoints are the next generation improved idea of the same concept.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:56   #17
babarracing

Rem 870 Save your A%* Sight:

I was goig to buy a Burris "Speed Bead" for my Rem 870. But when I bought a XS "Big Dot" recommended here at GATE "Night Vision Forum" I was so pleased with how big, brite and ez it is for my 63 year old eyes to find I do not need the $262 dollar expenditure when this $60 XS Big Dot is so great.
P.S. I don't even know where XS is yet alone give a darn if they get your money. But I do care about my "Peers" safety and just want to help other Geezers like myself be prepared!
babarracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:14   #18
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

XS is based out of Dallas.

The Speed Bead is simply a Burris microdot. They are visible, but run time is under 200 hours and you must remove it to replace the battery and thus rezero it.

Not a fan except for skeet or whatever.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:35   #19
babarracing

Red Dot Speed Bead:

Thanks for that battery replacement Rezero fact. That sucks.
babarracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 14:40   #20
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Questions about the Aimpoints:

This is the type of thing that would be good for an AK, right? Because if popular opinion is that AK's are "pie-plates at 100yrds" / "Minute-of-man" type rifles, I'm not really going to be having any use for a magnified sight right? So the Aimpoints are not magnified and therefore good "Combat" sights for a "Combat" rifle?

Regardling the battery life, when you talk about the hours, thats just the BATTERY life right? They keep on lasting if you replace the batteries, right? So even if its 6 months, a year, 6 years, If I replace the battery it will last for a while (indefinitely? years? longer than me? ) etc. I ask because I have a new AK-variant and while I am happy with the $80 NcStar reflex on it, I would like an Aimpoint sure if they are that good and will last.

I also always wanted a Trijicon ACOG, but you mentioned they are magnified (is it 3, 3.5, 4 or something like that?) but I also want a M4- style AR RIfle, can't afford that either. But I will someday, and I figure with a longer ranger, more accurate AR I would have more of a use for the ACOG's magnification... Maybe if I can save for that CDNN M&P 15 I would get an ACOG for that.

Back to my off-topic question, The Aimpoints would be good for the AK right? Long lasting and accurate? I know a poster on a NJ Forum that put an Aimpoint Micro H1 on his new Saiga conversion and he loves it. I would think I would want the "Comp M2" on my AK but I would certainly be grateful for suggestions!