SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2010, 21:42   #1
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Observations about longer barrel, etc.

1. The 5.15" LW barrel makes more of a velocity difference than I thought it would. With 4 different identical loads, velocities are almost 100FPS higher.

2. This LW 5.15" barrel is also the most-accurate I've had in any of my Glocks. For instance, today's 20 5-shot groups averaged 3/10-inch smaller than the essentially same loads shot over the weekend thru the original barrel.

3. After a little preliminary velocity measuring Tuesday nite, the groups I shot today were strings with lower charges of Longshot and A7 and 4 loads of A9 creeping up to what I thought I wanted. Turns out 3 loads--1 with A7 and 2 with A9--of the 9 loads I shot had too-HIGH velocity for my desires for a 155g. PD load. Some may, but I don't need a PD load generating 10' velocites over 1375FPS, but it's sure a nice problem to have.

4. Based on ONE batch of 18 groups from 9 different loads, so far the loads with A9 are generating the smallest groups, but that's only by a tenth of an inch at 10 yards.

I sure am liking this.

10mm Reloading Forum

Last edited by jeffreybehr; 07-08-2010 at 15:10..
jeffreybehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 23:18   #2
Maine1

i like your rig. Have been really tempted to get a 5.15 barrel, too.

I was just on the longslide forum, thinking it would be a good idea to cook up a 20L

I MAY just get a blacked LW slide, as it has the bullnose i like, and get a blacked and blind marked 5.15 barrel, giving me a mini-long slide, sans some of the weight.
Of course, money is the only thing stopping me..
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 19:15   #3
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Yes the longer barrels allow the expanding powder gases to give a little more push for a little long resulting in the high velocities you are seeing.

LooK at the site for actual test done...http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 21:37   #4
ctkelly

I think what the OP meant was he was surprised by the increase in velocity from a barrel that is just .55" over the factory length. 100 FPS increase just from a half inch longer barrel is pretty impressive.
ctkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:14   #5
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkelly View Post
I think what the OP meant was he was surprised by the increase in velocity from a barrel that is just .55" over the factory length. 100 FPS increase just from a half inch longer barrel is pretty impressive.
Indeed.

(My 1st attempt at a response was 'Yup!', but that was too short for the system to accept.)
Old 07-14-2010, 09:26   #6
MSgt Dotson

The LWD barrel also has a tighter chamber, allowing less pressure to be 'wasted' expanding/fireforming the case to swell in the factory barrel...

I see 50 fps greater velocity with a 5.3" Lone Wolf barrel (980 fps) over a 5.3" Glock (930 fps) factory bbl, chroning each with the same .40 handload two minutes apart...
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29   #7
Cam Cooke

I have a 5" KKM barrel in my G20 and a 4.25" Storm Lake barrel in my G29 I was very surprised at the velocity gains that I saw from my loads.
Cam Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:16   #8
cwb

I have a stock barrel and a LW 6" barrel and I have never seen more than a 60 FPS difference. It usually ranges from 40 to 55 FPS.
cwb is offline   Reply With Quote