SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-10-2010, 22:38   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Any practical arm blades?

I've got lots of guns, plenty of ammo, and I've been collecting blades since I was in middle school (gotta love to power of a money order and no need for ID!). But ever since I was a little kid I was always fascinated by edged weapons worn (not held) shown in the movies.

Some examples... the Predator has bladed weapons he wears on his forearms that shoot out when activated. Vega from street fighter and Wolverine had similar ones but long blades/claws that extended well past the fingers to be used in the same fashion as predators.

Now these weapons seem silly for everyday carry, but in some hand to hand combat situations (maybe where a gun is taken away or jams) such things might prove useful.

Do any such weapons exist in reality? Any that are practical enough for self-defense...or are they all far fetched novelties more than anything else?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 22:50   #2
mitchshrader
Deceased

I don't think you get to wear the ninja dragon claws AND be the good guy. It's a rule.
Old 07-10-2010, 22:52   #3
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchshrader View Post
I don't think you get to wear the ninja dragon claws AND be the good guy. It's a rule.
Ha! Believe it or not I have a pair of those! Does that make me a bad guy?

Honestly, they aren't very practical and I'd go so far as to say they'd probably snap a few hand bones in half if you ever tried to climb with them.

EDIT: But seriously, can you imagine how difficult it'd be to defeat someone who's WEARING their weapon? You CAN'T disarm them. They can swing their weapon to stab, slash, and keep you at a distance. With someone's who's had any training, that'd make for a pretty capable opponent IMO!

-Emt1581

Last edited by emt1581; 07-10-2010 at 22:55..
Old 07-10-2010, 22:57   #4
emt1581
Curious Member

Just thought of one... The HAK (I think it's called). The blade that is specifically sized to your fingers that you wear instead of hold. Tiny blade but effective from what I've read. I know some cops/ccw'ers swear by them.

-Emt1581
Old 07-10-2010, 23:26   #5
UtahIrishman
BLR

You could try duct taping it to your wrist...

don't use too much though you'll need to save some for the trauma plates

----
UtahIrishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 23:29   #6
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahIrishman View Post
You could try duct taping it to your wrist...

don't use too much though you'll need to save some for the trauma plates
The $64 question is where does one carry their tacticool nachos?

Seriously, if you look at history, this isn't a far fetched idea. And although the HAK is only an inch or two long, it's the same principle.

-Emt1581
Old 07-10-2010, 23:37   #7
UtahIrishman
BLR

emt

on a more serious note I think the best solution for something like what you want would be a small dagger strapped to the wrist. In my teen moments I've tried it...kinda cool.

Not saying it's practical and it's definitely approaching ninja land but I think that would be better than some cumbersome auto deploy mechanism that's liable to screw up.

And I always carry my tacticool nachos on the weak side. since I always do tactical rolls to my strong side that way they won't get crunched.

----
UtahIrishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 23:37   #8
jarubla
Dos Pistolas

The practicality is certainly debatable:

The Cutting Edge
Old 07-10-2010, 23:43   #9
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahIrishman View Post
emt

on a more serious note I think the best solution for something like what you want would be a small dagger strapped to the wrist. In my teen moments I've tried it...kinda cool.

Not saying it's practical and it's definitely approaching ninja land but I think that would be better than some cumbersome auto deploy mechanism that's liable to screw up.

And I always carry my tacticool nachos on the weak side. since I always do tactical rolls to my strong side that way they won't get crunched.
I see what you're saying and I agree it'd be risky at best. But imagine the potential of the MicroTech OTF forearm knife!

-Emt1581
Old 07-10-2010, 23:43   #10
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarubla View Post
The practicality is certainly debatable:

The Cutting Edge
I always wondered how that would work at the urinal...

-Emt1581
Old 07-10-2010, 23:54   #11
GermanyBound
One Bad Monkey

Send a message via AIM to GermanyBound Send a message via Yahoo to GermanyBound
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
I always wondered how that would work at the urinal...

-Emt1581
If you've ever played Edward 40 Hands, you'd know......it doesn't work well at all
Old 07-11-2010, 00:09   #12
Alchemy

Panoid strikes deep into your soul it will creep.
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:58   #13
DBZ220

There were some pieces put out by United Cutlery over the years. Not really sure if they still make any right now though. They were of questionable quality overall, and most definatly didn't have good blade steel. The arm straps were also pretty poorly done in most instances and weren't secure enough for actual heavy use. There was a store in my local mall here that sold some of these items, and I have friends who purchased them. I believe they all hurt themselves somehow while playing with said "knives".
Almost all of these pieces fall into the Super-Mall Ninja category, and should only be kept for novelty in most cases, as actual use could be harmful, mostly to the user.
DBZ220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 16:20   #14
waynejitsu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1nEg...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wv9Z...eature=related
waynejitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:38   #15
BlackPaladin

The OP is kidding , ........................and if by chance he isn't, he should be embarrased
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 17:50   #16
fredj338

And what would be wrong w/ just carryin a good one hand opening folder?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 07-20-2010 at 17:50..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:46   #17
w4004p

OP -

glad to hear your love affair with cutlery dates back so far. mine does, as well. it was actually an incident that took place in daycare that started my life long relationship with sharp pointy things.

i, too, was an armed youth and as such had to get quite creative in regards to concealment. not only did i like the idea of not getting arrested or having my tools confiscated, i had to make it by my parents without them realizing i was carrying a 10" fixed blade

the habit of designing carry methods actually carried over into adulthood and i now run a business making sheaths and holster (see my sigline).

short answer - NO. sorry, but it just aint happening, dude i made a dive sheath for a member that attaches to the calve with rubber straps. the same thing could be done for an arm, but it would be pointless. if you need to draw your knife, you would not be able to be using your support hand for anythingelse like pushing or parrying. if you actually wanted it attached to your arm with the blade stuck out, it would really need to be bolted into your radius (the big bone in your arm) to be as solid as simply gripping the knife in your hand.

all in all, it's just hollywood, man. while it could be done, it would be a HUGE step backwards in actual usefullness. BUT, if you play Assassin's Creed, you'll get to use one - Altair carries one on his forearm and it works great