Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:24   #1
1canvas

first shot

my question is, why don't i ever see any discussions about that first shot anywhere. i'm not talking about right out of the holster, i'm talking about finger on the frame to the trigger, fast. i never hear that mentioned anywhere. when i look at a defense gun that is one thing i concider and why on my 1911 i always stayed with a short trigger when everyone else was going long. i also practice that at every range sesion. in that situation you are going to be real close to the bad guy. that is one heck of a manouver in a near panic situation. are there situations where if you had to hold someone at gun point [like with a DA only revolver] you would advise to keep the finger on the trigger?
what is your thoughts?
thank you
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 21:40   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

My compliments, Icanvas, you are wise to practice as you do.

As a rule of thumb, it takes about a tenth of a second to get the trigger finger from its "in register" position on the frame, onto the trigger and make the shot. An electronic shot timer, one of the best investments any serious pistolero can make, will show you exactly what that time is for YOU with YOUR pistol.

There have been so many "startle reflex" shots fired unintentionally in high stress situations with even heavy, long-stroke double action guns, that none of us in the business are recommending finger on trigger in a gunpoint situation anymore.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53   #3
1canvas

thank you.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote