Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:40   #1
FH Alum

adding ghost rings to Moss 500

How hard is it to add ghost rings to a mossy 500? Anyone recommend a good aftermarket set up? I have an ancient 500 (It's actually labeled a Western Field but we all know its a mossy) there are no screw taps on the receiver but I can drill a couple of holes in aluminum. The issue is how to set up the front sight. Anyone have a suggestion for a kit/setup. Does anyone make a barrel with the front sight pre-installed? Is it just cheaper and easier to buy a 590?

Or, would it be better to mount a scope rail on the receiver and install a red dot?

Thanks for your help.
FH Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27   #2
Victoriagotagun

The cheapest GRS your going to be able to find is the factory GRS sight kit.

http://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/comm...tion&key=95300

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 18:19   #3
FH Alum

How do you install the front site? Weld it? Braze it with an oxy torch? JB weld (lol)?
Old 07-16-2010, 18:21   #4
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the trouble. I would just buy the 590A1 if I really wanted the GRs. I'm fine with the bead but that A1 is bad ass.
Old 07-17-2010, 18:52   #5
dc2integra

the grs are sure nice but u dont really need them IMO unless yor using your shotgun for long distance shooting
dc2integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 19:20   #6
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfam View Post
Honestly, I don't think it's worth the trouble. I would just buy the 590A1 if I really wanted the GRs. I'm fine with the bead but that A1 is bad ass.
This is the conclusion I came to. I have a 590 20" with the bead sight and looked into converting it and decided to just buy the 590A1 18" with GRs for $420. I was not going to be comfortable doing the work myself so after buying the ghost rings and estimating a $100 for the smith I just went with a new shotgun and leave my 590 the way it is. I plan to SBS it and get a 14" barrel so it will end up very different then the 590.

You can never have to many shotguns. Right?
Jon_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 19:44   #7
FH Alum

Quote:
You can never have to many shotguns. Right?
True, very true. and not just with shotguns, but any firearm, fishing tackle and boat accessories. (god help me I actually thought about picking up golf again the other day too!!)

I picked this gun up a couple of years ago for $75 and was just thinking it might be a fun project to do. It may get converted back to a field gun but I had a buddy of mine give me a 18" barrel and I picked up a side saddle a couple of weeks ago for $5 from a co-worker. Was thinking it might be a fun project.

However, I may now put the vent rib back on and give it a camo treatment as there are now some areas around here putting a bounty on turkeys. May be time to look into going after those guys.

For $70 bucks though I may pick up the sight kit and see if I can braze it on. Worst case I screw up a free barrel, but my oxy torch kung-fu is pretty strong.