Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-15-2010, 13:59   #1
DR. HOUSE
Everybody Lies

Big Game Bullets

What kind do you use?

I hunt mostly deer and have been using the noslers CT silver tips.
Old 07-15-2010, 19:19   #2
EL COLONEL

Im using the winchester power max bonded....................
Old 07-15-2010, 21:37   #3
357glocker

Nosler Ballistic Tips, 140gr 7mm Mag for most

Losing- If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
357glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 21:57   #4
Esox357

165 grain Hornady BTSP I would shoot almost anything with them. Esox357.
Old 07-16-2010, 00:47   #5
steve1911

Nosler Partition bullets, and Hornady Bullets.

1911club#410
Old 07-16-2010, 21:54   #6
noway

1st what do you consider big game? I don't rank a deer as big game by any means.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 00:12   #7
Ak.Hiker

175 grain Remington Core-Lokt for the 7mm Remington Magnum. Any name brand 170 grain round nosed SP for the 30/30. 180 grain Nosler Partition for the 300 Weatherby Magnum.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:36   #8
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Mostly Nosler Partitions, but for lighter stuff I have Speer Grand Slams.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:11   #9
357glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
1st what do you consider big game? I don't rank a deer as big game by any means.
Maybe in Florida

Losing- If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
357glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 16:36   #10
DR. HOUSE
Everybody Lies

Quote:
going by what ammo makers and the general hunting nation consider big game.

yes, deer are generally considered big game and not all deer are the same size. Deer in nebraska look like horses to some people that have small deer.
Old 07-17-2010, 18:50   #11
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. HOUSE View Post
going by what ammo makers and the general hunting nation consider big game.

yes, deer are generally considered big game and not all deer are the same size. Deer in nebraska look like horses to some people that have small deer.
So what would elk and moose be considered ? Extra-BIG game.

Deer by all means are not big game, they are medium sized thin skinned gamed animal. You don't need any spectacular to hunt a deer in the lower 48 or Canada or AK.

btw: Any bullet over 150grain is way over kill for a deer imho.
Old 07-18-2010, 13:29   #12
paynter2
It ain't over

Quote:

Deer by all means are not big game, they are medium sized thin skinned gamed animal. You don't need any spectacular to hunt a deer in the lower 48 or Canada or AK.

I don't know about overkill - a 170 and 180 gr 30 cal have killed a whole lot of deer.

I just use 100 gr Rem PP in my .243s and 6mms and the deer (even the big ones) go straight down.

I think a lot of guys use bigger calibers because that's what they have - they may use t hem for bigger game than deer on occasion. I just like to shoot the smaller calibers.
Old 07-18-2010, 13:48   #13
DR. HOUSE
Everybody Lies

Quote:

So any bullet over 150 Gr is over kill? Thats not true at all, the smaller the caliber the larger the bullet should be to kill large game. Do you know what sectional density is?

no the whole group ranging from deer to moose is considered big game.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/o....htm/printable

Then theres dangerous game.'

Just because they are not as big as elk doesn't mean their not big game.

If you want to go by your own personal definition of what big game is, then go ahead make your self look like a fool.

You ask anyone in the ammo industry or bullet industry if deer are considered big game and they will tell you yes.

Like I said, go ahead and use your own definition and I will just go by the standard.

Last edited by DR. HOUSE; 07-18-2010 at 13:48..
DR. HOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:24   #14
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. HOUSE View Post
So any bullet over 150 Gr is over kill? Thats not true at all, the smaller the caliber the larger the bullet should be to kill large game. Do you know what sectional density is?

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/o....htm/printable

Then theres dangerous game.'

Just because they are not as big as elk doesn't mean their not big game.

If you want to go by your own personal definition of what big game is, then go ahead make your self look like a fool.

You ask anyone in the ammo industry or bullet industry if deer are considered big game and they will tell you yes.

Like I said, go ahead and use your own definition and I will just go by the standard.
Do you know what sectional density is?

Yeap sure do

Maybe , but a deer and a elk and then a moose is nowhere in the same league nor the former is big game by any measurements unless you hunting squirrels

Nope has nothing with make a fooling, bullet selection on a white deer( if that what is classifying as a BIG game animal ) is not as critical as in a Moose or Elk or Bear.

By definition or me asking what "Is a BIG GAME " is a valid question, since big game is a broad word & would depend on what animal your taking and on what content ( NA , EU or Africa & down under ). A bullet I would use on let's say; bambi, bambi mom or dad, would not be the same bullet I would use on let's say Bullwinkle. Nor would it be as critical for bullet selection in a common deer takin calibers as compare to trying to take a Elk or NA Moose or a EU Moose "elk" ( which btw is smaller than a NA Moose more along the size of our ELK ).

And yes, I stand by what I said early, you don't need anything bigger than 150grain bullet to take a deer in the 48state unless it's been working out at LA Fitness

This goes back to the classic shifting of "Today's" hunting view, & by the today's hunting crowd and sales persons, that all seem to think that deer has involved into a anti-bullet, armored clad animal and you need nothing shy of a super magnum caliber to kill it.

Now do you really think you need more than 150grain of bullet in a 270win, 308 or 30-06 or 300winmag to cleanly kill a deer? Would the deer be any more deadly if you did?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:22   #15
worthit

Its about shot placement more than size. The worse your shooting skills, the bigger the caliber you need.
worthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 17:57   #16
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthit View Post
Its about shot placement more than size. The worse your shooting skills, the bigger the caliber you need.

I have to laugh at that.

I remember about 3 years back, I went out hunting for WT-deer in one my centerfire zones, and a guy showed up with a 338mag and was worrired if he had enough gun.

I told you must don't get out that much ? And his reply was he only shot it like 10times & wasn't 100% sure he had enough gun or powerful enough bullet.

Can't believe anybody would be so serious & use a 2XX grain bullet on a deer and specially a glade deer in Florida or a so-call deer as big as a horse, and worry about if he had enough gun.
Old 07-19-2010, 20:53   #17
Ak.Hiker

Quote:

I have to laugh at that.

I remember about 3 years back, I went out hunting for WT-deer in one my centerfire zones, and a guy showed up with a 338mag and was worrired if he had enough gun.

I told you must don't get out that much ? And his reply was he only shot it like 10times & wasn't 100% sure he had enough gun or powerful enough bullet.

Can't believe anybody would be so serious & use a 2XX grain bullet on a deer and specially a glade deer in Florida or a so-call deer as big as a horse, and worry about if he had enough gun.
He should have loaded up with the old 300 grain Winchester Power Point that they loaded back in the day.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 15:36   #18
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Deer, white tail and mulies, moose, and elk being in the same family 'group' are considerd 'big game.' Here in Texas as in most states Deer are always considered big game animals. Here, deer and antelope are called big game. Auodad and India black buck, Axis deer, etc, are in Texas considered exotics, (the list goes on).

Now with that being said. I do understand noways reasoning here and (personally agree with him) I too, consider deer more of a medium thin skinned game animal than a big game animal. Not the case in legal terms, OR in "biological terms", as deer are "in fact" big game, but they do not seem to be classified as such to most people. I understand this!

BTW, No one is a fool for having his own personal way of making this particular call: Not in my eyes at least. It is a fine line subject with a great deal of people.

Most people feature big game as elk and moose and everything in Africa, and excluded the deer. Again, in defense of noway's thinking, and a good deal of others as well, "I do understand this logic" of wanting to classify the deer as a non big game animal.

What we feel like calling them is pretty irrelevant as long as you know what to use to hunt them and how to hunt.

Guiding for over a quarter of a century, it is the understanding that big game are from deer to moose in USA. It does not seem like it 'for deer' at times since 'some' can be no bigger than a German Sheperd ! Ha.

I hear noway, and understand.

As far as bullet weight. I've killed all kinds of deer size game with 6mm Rem 100gr to 45-70 with 405gr HC bullet. Folks that hunt with muzzle loaders use more than a 150gr bullet. Once again, I think a lot of what is being said on this thread is just a simple "semantic problem."

Overkill on deer for example: To me that would mean, "Hey bob, you really do not need a 375 H&H to hunt deer, that is over kill.." In other words "hey bob you don't need caliber X Y or Z you have in your safe there, "just to kill a deer."

Right, we do not need more than a 223, 22-250, 243, 6mm, 30-30, 35remington, etc to kill deer. We just don't. But... Folks have different needs, and even likes ad desires. Terrain here on part of the ranch is such that I like a 35 remington, or the old 30-30, 45-70 (for fun). Other parts of the place where I might want antelope or a mulie etc, may call for my "do all gun" 7mm rem mag with 150gr Hornady Spire point 'I rolled off myself' and tailored it for these small deer. But when it is Elk/moose time. I roll off I different bullet (not that the 150gr spire point won't do, because it does). But I roll of one with a bit more weight and SD better BC to ensure a flatter trajectory and yet have the horse power/momentum, at maybe very long distance to kill my game "with the needed penetration".

If a person does not reload and owns a rifle that seems to be "to much for the average deer" as is my 7mm Rem Mag, then they can simply purchace a lighter weight bullet, or reduced recoil type load. I have never destroyed a deer with a 7mag, or a 45-70. But some people make a horrible mess out of their deer with a simple 22-250 by making bad hits, in wrong places !

I just jumped in NOT to argue or war, but to just say this is some what of a "semantic problem" with some people, large game vs. medium game, and I understand. The size of a man's rifle caliber may be way more than needed for deer, yet this too, can be tailored wether you reload or buy your ammo, or just buy simply placing your shot in the lungs when the opportunity presents itself for that shot with a heavy caliber rifle. Its all pretty simple really !

I'll drop out before I think of another hundred things to say...

Stay cool boys, its all good and huntin is alot of fun right?

Good hunting !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 07-22-2010 at 18:28..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote