Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-15-2010, 19:21   #1
Glocker 2311

1187 VS. 1187 Police

anybody know what the differences are between the 1187 and the police model??
Glocker 2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 19:41   #2
aippi

Police is Parkerized and the Police barrels are designed to shoot only buckshot, slugs and other heavy loads. They will not cycle game loads effectively. The P comes with the extended tactical carrier release button.

Sporting 11-87 are internally the same as the P model except for one small $3 spring. The sporting barrels are designed for game loads or if they are the slug models then for the heavy loads.

That is it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 21:11   #3
jhooten
NRA Life Member

Have one of each withing reach as I type this. With the side saddle on to cover the Police on the receiver the only visible difference between my 11-87 and 11-87P is the safety lock and longer vent rib barrel. The sporter has the lock the P doesn't.

J.D., they both have the same carrier release and receiver finish.
jhooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 22:28   #4
aippi

The 11-87 comes in a matte finish. It is called the special purpose finish but is the extact same finish as the express except the metal is polished before the Finish is applied. As I stated, the 11-87P is parkerized. Might look the same to somone who does not know the difference. The older 11-87P did come with the same carrier release button as any 1100 or 11087 but the newer ones have the enlongated release.

This information is correct as is any information I give on the 870 or 11-87.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 07-15-2010 at 22:31..
Old 07-16-2010, 20:53   #5
jhooten
NRA Life Member

That is why I mentioned it. My 11-87P was bought as a trade in. With the same release as the newer express if must be an older one. When did the change to the new release occur? What PM would you suggest on it prior to putting it in service?
Old 07-17-2010, 17:29   #6
rollosan

The 11-87 Police won't cycle game loads..??? Thats news to me, my 11-87 Police cycles anything that I load into it......
rollosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 20:51   #7
B Coyote

My 11-87P is EXTREMELY finicky. Buck and slugs are fine, but any type of game load is hit or miss.

bc

B Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 21:45   #8
Sgt127

My OLD 11-87 Police (25 years old) has never burped with any full power buckshot or slug. However, It will barely cycle game loads at all. Maybe 2-3 before it short strokes.

I was told that the Police model is specifically set up for hot loads and has smaller holes for the gas system, thereby reducing the recoil with hot loads. I have also been told that a gunsmith can ream the holes just a little and make it function with birdshot.
Sgt127 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 22:00   #9
aippi

If you have an 11-87 police with an 18 or 18.5" that cycles anything then call Remington ASAP as they would like to see that weapon. The 11-87 with a police barrel will not cycle light loads so you either have a different barrel or someone has drilled out your gas orifices and that is not good.

I keep hearing this mess on these web site, yet the Instructors at the Remington factory will state to a man, and these guys all have 40+ years there that the weapon will not cycle anything.

I also have 11-87P and they will not. I just got three like new 11-87P for a PD on trade and they got rid of them because they would cyle low recoil stuff.

So, you have either an 11-87 Special Purpose or a P with a modified barrel. You do not have a factory 11-87 Police that cycles everything.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 07-29-2010, 21:57   #10
Joe Paige

What is considered game loads?
Joe Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 22:51   #11
aippi

Game loads are shot size from about number 4 up and have a little more powder then target loads. They will not cycle in the 11-87P as the barrel is not designed for such light loads.

Some of the re-loading guys on here can give you the drams of powder that the game loads have over the target loads. They can also explain the dram loads of buckshot and slugs.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 08-01-2010, 20:21   #12
space_weazel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollosan View Post
The 11-87 Police won't cycle game loads..??? Thats news to me, my 11-87 Police cycles anything that I load into it......
Mine has also been 100% with lots of different game loads(there are a few of the light loads or the super cheap stuff that it wont like, but Remington, green box, Federal blue box, in 4,6,7.5 shot all function reliably).....

Marked "police", has rifle sights, gas ports look un monkey'd, and it runs like normal with buck and slugs in it as well.....
Tactical Shotguns

Black Rifle Club #111

Last edited by space_weazel; 08-01-2010 at 20:26..
space_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 14:26   #13
dawgbutler

I bought a brand new 11-87 Police model (as shown from the stamping in the metal) from our local police supply store on the day that the Assault Weapon Ban was enacted into law years ago. It has just sat in the safe since then. Yesterday, I took it and a Remington 870 Magnum to the range to teach my wife how to shoot a shotgun. I used "cheap" Federal 7.5 bird shot bought for $27/hundred from my local Wally World. The gun ran flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
If you have an 11-87 police with an 18 or 18.5" that cycles anything then call Remington ASAP as they would like to see that weapon. The 11-87 with a police barrel will not cycle light loads so you either have a different barrel or someone has drilled out your gas orifices and that is not good.

I keep hearing this mess on these web site, yet the Instructors at the Remington factory will state to a man, and these guys all have 40+ years there that the weapon will not cycle anything.

I also have 11-87P and they will not. I just got three like new 11-87P for a PD on trade and they got rid of them because they would cyle low recoil stuff.

So, you have either an 11-87 Special Purpose or a P with a modified barrel. You do not have a factory 11-87 Police that cycles everything.
dawgbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37   #14
aippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
Have one of each withing reach as I type this. With the side saddle on to cover the Police on the receiver the only visible difference between my 11-87 and 11-87P is the safety lock and longer vent rib barrel. The sporter has the lock the P doesn't.

J.D., they both have the same carrier release and receiver finish.
The finish on your 11-87 is an applied matte finish. It is designed to look like parkerizing but it is not. Only the 870P and 11-87P are parkerized. Newer 11-87P's come with the extended carrier release.
The J-lock on your 11-87 indicates it is an older model and Remington stop putting that mess on guns years back. It can be replaced very easy and there is a video on my web site showing how easy and the three parts you need.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 09-11-2013 at 10:52..
Old 05-05-2014, 20:13   #15
carbon_15
1*

Don't mind aippi...he is making a career out of convincing people their gun won't shoot birdshot... Even if it will
LOL

J/k
Old 05-05-2014, 20:22   #16
jhooten
NRA Life Member

A four year old post which is moot now as they both were lost in the Great Bastrop County Labor Day Conflagration of 2011.
Old 05-05-2014, 23:08   #17
aippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_15 View Post
Don't mind aippi...he is making a career out of convincing people their gun won't shoot birdshot... Even if it will
LOL

J/k
Only an intelligent person is worth convincing and an intelligent person knows that most all 11-87 barrels are pressure compensated so they will shoot light loads and 11-87 Police barrels are not pressure compensated and will not cycle light loads effectively.

The size of the gas orifices are determined by the length of the barrel and the intended load. In shorter barrels the pressure will not be in the barrel long enough to cycle low pressure rounds. Since the Police barrel are short barrels, all are 18.5" and designed for heavy loads the gas orifice sizes are set to cycle those loads and will not effectively cycle light loads.

These people are shooting game loads or what is considered Heavy Target loads or Field loads of 3 to 3.25dr 1 1/8oz and yes that will cycle in them but not 100% reliable. However, light loads of 3dr 1 oz will not cycle reliable enough to use.

There are also some non compensated Trap, skeet and Sporting Clay barrels that make up for the pressure compensation with orifice size

Also I would not consider someone who uses the term 'Bird Shot" to classify the ammunition discussed in this thread as someone with enough knowledge of the subject to comment on what loads and 11-87P will cycle effectively.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 05-05-2014 at 23:11..