SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:43   #1
Irelander
Glocker

Trijicon vs Meprolight

A friend of mine wants me to put night sights on his G19. That's all fine and good, but he wants me to pick the sights. I really only have experience with meps but I've heard good things about trijicon. I have heard that trijicon night sights are not as bright as meps. Does anyone have a good picture of meps next to trijicons to compare the difference?
Irelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:00   #2
AZBru88

Here's a comparison vid on You Tube, Hope this helps...Bru
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:53   #3
Thunderbolt56

Trijicon makes the tritium tubes for Meprolight. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. On a personal note, I prefer the profile of the Meps a bit better.

My local range http://www.volusiacountygunandhuntclub.com/
Thunderbolt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:54   #4
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

flip a coin
Old 07-16-2010, 11:19   #5
Irelander
Glocker

I can get a really good deal on Trijicons through the Glock Armorer program so I'll probably go with those. My buddy said he really didn't care which ones I put on his gun. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:52   #6
chasbo00

Truglo has a hybrid that incorporates both tritium and fiber optics -- worth a look too I think.

http://www.truglosights.com/IW_Produ...00?company=TGI

Last edited by chasbo00; 07-16-2010 at 12:03..
chasbo00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:19   #7
Irelander
Glocker

Not really interested in fiber optics.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:39   #8
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

To the best of my knowledge Meprolights are made in Israel and they make all of their own components. Trijicon does supply tubes to Ameriglo and other NS companies but not Meprolight. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 15:33   #9
RayB
Retired Member

My information concurs with Sarge's...

Israeli-made Meprolights use tritium lamps made by the OEM. The inner casing of the Meprolight sights is coated in "white" to increase reflectivity and brightness.

Trijicon imports their tritium lamps, and indeed supplies them to other manufacturers under different brand names.

I was told all this by a Meprolight rep, from the OEM in Israel.

As Sarge points out, both are excellent products!

Here again, is my night sight review...

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and usually have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic... Any of the premium brands--ie., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:46   #10
Irelander
Glocker

I thought Trijicon supplied the lamps for Glock OEM sights?

I'm leaning toward the Glock OEM sights since they are tenifer finished and lifetime warranty. Any big difference between those and the Trijicons or Meps?

Last edited by Irelander; 07-19-2010 at 08:16..
Old 07-19-2010, 09:00   #11
Wickersham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt56 View Post
Trijicon makes the tritium tubes for Meprolight. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. On a personal note, I prefer the profile of the Meps a bit better.
This is incorrect. Trijicon makes the tubes for Ameriglo and a host of others, but Meprolight has their own tubes.

I vote Ameriglo.
Wickersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 18:42   #12
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickersham View Post
This is incorrect. Trijicon makes the tubes for Ameriglo and a host of others, but Meprolight has their own tubes.

That's why I posted, in part:

Israeli-made Meprolights use tritium lamps made by the OEM. The inner casing of the Meprolight sights is coated in "white" to increase reflectivity and brightness.

Trijicon imports their tritium lamps, and indeed supplies them to other manufacturers under different brand names.

I was told all this by a Meprolight rep, from the OEM in Israel.

--Ray
Old 07-19-2010, 18:45   #13
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
Any big difference between those and the Trijicons or Meps?

That too, is explained above in detail...

Seriously, I'm about to give up on helping here.

--Ray
Old 07-19-2010, 18:51   #14
Thunderbolt56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickersham View Post

I vote Ameriglo.
I stand corrected. I knew they did supply for Ameriglo and thought they did for Mep too.

I like the Ameriglo lamps as well, but recently shot a friend's G34 that had FO (non tritium) on the front with black rear and they looked really good. Easy to acquire and the FO was so bright even in bright daylight there was no trouble getting it on target.

I'm strongly considering a TFO front only...

My local range http://www.volusiacountygunandhuntclub.com/
Thunderbolt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:42   #15
Irelander
Glocker

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry to piss you off RayB.

I went with the Glock OEM sights direct from Glock through the Armorer program. I figured since they were cheaper and had a lifetime warranty that they were the best deal. I'll let you know when they arrive.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47   #16
Ahmid
CLM Number 299
Charter Lifetime Member

I have had several of both. I perfer the Meps.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:55   #17
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I have Triji's, Mepro's and Ameriglo Operators. The Ameriglo Operator has, by far, the best sight picture of the three. The Meps are really bright, and Glockmeister has them for $67. You used to could get a big discount by buying Ameriglo, but not anymore it seems. And yes, Trijicon does supply the tritium tubes for the Ameriglos, but not the Meprolights. Meprolight does supply the tritium tubes for the Glock night sights, but the sights themselves are a little different. Between the basic Trijicon and Meprolight, flip a coin really.

On a side note, I would get green/green. I have done the yellow/green and while the contrast is pretty good, the lamp life of the yellow isn't nearly as good as the green and you will find it dimming out a lot faster than the green.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 07-20-2010 at 07:58..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:38   #18
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership

I have both kinds and both are good.
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:01   #19
bowtie454

I have personally used Trijicon, Meprolight, and Tru-glo. Of the three, I liked the Trijicon the best. They were brighter and seemed "crisper", more distinct. The Meprolights are nice, they just didn't stand out as much and seemed kind of fuzzy. Hard to explain. The Tru-glo tritium fiber optic sight is bright, but the dot is much bigger than the other two, and the front sight is over 1/2 inch long. This means that there is a large portion of the sight hanging out over the slide that is unsupported. As one poster on here said: you could use it to hold business cards.

I have a couple of pistols I want to upgrade to night sights on, and both of them will be getting Trijicons. Having said that, I certainly won't be swapping out the Meprolights on my other pistol, as they do work and they are nice sights. I just like the Trijicons better. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.
bowtie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 18:37   #20
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
Sorry to piss you off RayB.

Annoyed would be a better word...

But I'm over it!

Besides, you probably won't read this anyway!

--Ray
Old 07-20-2010, 18:40   #21
HWA GLOCKER

+1 Meps
Old 07-20-2010, 18:56   #22
jon91se
10-8

Always liked the size of the Mepros
jon91se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 15:37   #23
Jager1
Lifetime Membership
UtilitarianSect

Quote:
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. On a personal note, I prefer the profile of the Meps a bit better.
Have both. Have the same opinion. You can't go wrong with either.

Price and date of the sights are the only criteria to consider between the two.
Jager1 is offline   Reply With Quote