SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:38   #1
minnshooter

Web Maintenance

Hey everybody,

I have been approached by a small local business to help maintain their website. I have never done anything like it but most computer stuff comes easily to me. Could you recommend any good resources to start? I think I will understand it easily once I get it. The website is somewhat small, mainly I will be updating pictures quite often and changing some contact number.

Kevin
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 13:22   #2
JimmyN

Have they been using a content management system to maintain it, or just manually doing it with a text editor? If they use a CMS then you will have to do likewise, or else any change they make later will undo whatever you've done. By 'help' I'm assuming you won't be the only one working on it.

If you'll be manually editing the files I would recommend Notepad++. Actually I recommend Notepad++ to replace Notepad anyway. And you will need an FTP program to upload/download files. Or if they require a secure login, which they should, you could use something like WinSCP, to give you a secure shell login plus it provides an Explorer or Commander type interface.

For HTML help you can just Google anything you have a question on, all the info you need is out there. w3schools is a good place to start if you're just learning or need reference material.
http://www.w3schools.com/