Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-18-2010, 19:02   #1
flyandscuba

Feather Carbine in 10mm

Anyone here have a Feather Carbine chambered in 10mm? I just acquired a Backpacker model in 10mm. It should arrive in a couple of weeks. I really like the breakdown feature and I expect the 16" barrel will produce some good ballistics -- especially with the heavy Double Tap Loads. The use of the Glock magazines was an added positive feature.

If it works well, it will become a routine survival firearm in the baggage compartments of my airplanes when I fly over rough or desolate terrain. A full G20 mag of 230 gr. WFNGCs out of a 16" barrel should deter most 2 or 4-legged predators in the field.

The 10 Ring
Old 07-18-2010, 19:45   #2
MSgt Dotson

I would speculate by looking at it that this might be a blowback-operated carbine?

I'd be leery of trying the DoubleTap stuff for fear that pressures might still be fairly high as the carbine's bolt comes out of battery....; I'd advise caution, perhaps loading only one round in initial testing, then examining the hopefully extracted case for evidence of bulging in the front of the casing, which would indicate still high pressures as the case is being extracted....

As one can never have enough ammo in a carbine, you might want to consider a few Arredondo extensions that make the mags 20 rounders; I have used them in my GLock 20, and they have been flawless...

I wonder if the Kriss +15 extension for GLock 21 mags would also work to provide perhaps 35-40 round capacity for the Glock 20 mags?

Good luck with it Sir!

Last edited by MSgt Dotson; 07-18-2010 at 19:45..
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 22:28   #3
flyandscuba

I'm sure that it will do just fine...

Here is a video of the 9mm model:

http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZQVaFmXQBY
Old 07-31-2010, 15:11   #4
flyandscuba

10mm Carbine arrived

I picked up the carbine from my receiving dealer this morning. I am extremely impressed with the design, fit, and finish of this little carbine. It all fits nicely in a little pouch that can easily be carried while hiking/camping (hence why it is called the Back Packer model). It will fit nicely under the seat in the airplane, and might make a nice trunk carry firearm for road trips. It came with a new production genuine Glock 20 15-round magazine. I won't be able to take it to the range for some time -- but I promise to post a range report as soon as I do. I might be able to work up some better photos to post this evening. This company needs to market this little jewel! A simple barrel and mag change for this 10mm model and you can make it a .40 S&W or .357 Sig carbine if the slimmer magazine will lock in. They offer models in 9mm, .357 Sig, 40 S&W, and .45 ACP as well -- but I expect that the magwell might be two different sizes. Possibly not, I'll try to put in a Glock 17 magazine and see if it locks in.

The date on the instruction manual is 2010 -- so these are definitely in current production.
Old 08-01-2010, 13:51   #5
Minnow

Very interesting. 4.5lbs for the centerfire models!

Here is a link to the makers website:

http://www.guns-rifles-firearms.com/

Last edited by Minnow; 08-01-2010 at 13:55..
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39   #6
Teecher45

Haven't seen one of these. May I ask how much is the list price?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01   #7
js0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandscuba View Post
A simple barrel and mag change for this 10mm model and you can make it a .40 S&W or .357 Sig carbine if the slimmer magazine will lock in............. Possibly not, I'll try to put in a Glock 17 magazine and see if it locks in.
.40 S&W and .357 Sig should feed with no problem in the 10mm mags.

G17 ZRxxx, G19 GZxxx, G20SF NHLxxx, G19 ALUxxx, PM9 IC0xxx
js0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:52   #8
Carphunter

Intersting gun. now that I sold off my 10mm ar, I could see trying one of these. I wouldn't worry too much about any factory load. trick with carbine's comes, though, when you build stuff like heavy blue dot loads is that you don't always get the bullet out of the barrel fast enough to prevent overpressure.
but...that's in a gas-op... not sure how fussy the blowbacks are.
Carphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 17:51   #9
flyandscuba

Range report

RANGE REPORT

Sorry for the long delay on the range report... I know that several of you were interested in a range report before considering one of these for yourself. I finally took the Feather Carbine to an indoor range today -- along with my two Dan Wesson pistols & my 10mm BackUp -- for a little practice session.

The Feather Carbine was flawless! I ran both CCI Blazer and Georgia Arms FMJs through it on this trip. In the attached photo, the small group inside the X-ring was fired at 15 yards. The larger group slightly to the right -- in the 9-10 ring was fired at 25 yards (the limit at this range). The carbine was fired standing with no sling, rest or support -- other than my hands. So, I think we have a winner in terms of a survival firearm for the airplane. The 16" barrel really gives the 10mm cartridge some extra "punch". I can only imagine how it will do with full-power hardcast lead loads. I plan to dedicate a couple of G20 magazines with +2 base plates installed to the carry case. 17+1 rounds of 10mm screaming out of the 16" barrel in the direction of an angry/hungry critter with fangs and claws should prove to be quite a deterrant.

I plan to get a top rail for the addition of a red dot of some type -- hopefully, one that will co-witness with the iron sights. In addition, I will put a bottom rail on with a vertical hand grip/flashlight combo.

The 10 Ring

I'm very pleased with the carbine and it's performance with no adjustment to the iron sights at this point.
Old 12-19-2010, 18:12   #10
Carphunter

if you get a chance some day, take some shots over a chrony (set the chrony 15' ahead of you), and I'll add the velocities to the carbine speed and energy tables in the reloading forum.
Carphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 18:14   #11
MightyTygart

I have been scouring the net for a 10mm carbine and this one has peaked my interest.
MightyTygart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48   #12
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTygart View Post
I have been scouring the net for a 10mm carbine and this one has peaked my interest.
Same here - except I was hoping some outfit would've started marketing a flat-top upper receiver (with dedicated 16" 10mm barrel) on the AR-pattern. As usual, the problem would then be either develping/modifying "stick" magazines for use in the lower receiver, or else engineering some internal changes to the mag well to hold G20 mags.

Still, Flyandscuba's range report (thank you!) has peaked my interest in the Feather Carbine, especially since I already have a ton of 15-rd G20 mags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:40   #13
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Olympic Arms 10mm AR-15 carbine:

The 10 Ring

Flawless and fully customizable
Old 12-28-2010, 05:36   #14
leadslinger13

I am not trying to be a buzz kill and i have long looked at this option. But, I still come back to the question "To what end?" What purpose does the carbine serve....With the power and accuracy of the glock 20 ... the addition of a 6 inch barrel/various rifle stock conversions that can be purchased ? what will it do out at 100yds or more? The cost of ammo and limited mag capacity an AK47 would still be the better choice for close and long (300yds) work.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 14:54   #15
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadslinger13 View Post
I am not trying to be a buzz kill and i have long looked at this option. But, I still come back to the question "To what end?" What purpose does the carbine serve....With the power and accuracy of the glock 20 ... the addition of a 6 inch barrel/various rifle stock conversions that can be purchased ? what will it do out at 100yds or more? The cost of ammo and limited mag capacity an AK47 would still be the better choice for close and long (300yds) work.
Personally, I've never been a big fan of pistol-calibers in carbine length shoulder weapons, until I fired the FBI's HK carbines in 10mm.

But leadslinger's question is reasonable ...

IIRC, the Bureau's 10mm carbines had 16" tubes. They were extremely accurate and the recoil was negligible-to-unnoticable shooting the Bureau's downloaded 10mm 180gn FMJ ammo. But even had the ammo we used been DT's or BB's high-performance stuff, the shot-to-shot control and recovery would still have been excellent and tactically favorable.

Anyone who had the chance years back to own and/or shoot one of Auto Ordinance's 10mm "Tommy Guns" can verify what a 10mm can do from a carbine-type set-up. But A/O used those "stick mags," and I was never clear if their mags were dedicated 10mm mags or merely "converted"/modified .45acp mags (COAL for the .45 & 10mm are pretty close).

Regardless, out to 100yds and beyond, the terminal ballistics of (high-performance) 10mm ammo propelled from a 16" tube will best any other competiting pistol "service cartridge" fired from the same carbine platform. That means we're talking about the 10mm, 9mm, 40S&W, .357Sig, .45acp. When you bring into the debate a rifle cartridge (e.g., .223/5.56mm, 7.62x39mm), you talking apples and oranges and changing the context.

Some people have also argued the increased tactical advantage of having a 16" carbine dedicated in the same caliber as your primary carry pistol - in that, (a) it simplifies ammo supply in the field and (b), if both weapons also share interchangeability of magazines (e.g., both accept G20 15-rd mags), then if one goes down, you can still use the mags in the other weapon.

Getting back to leadslinger's post, the only pistol-caliber carbine I'd seriously consider at this point is one in 10mm. And it might just also be a fun gun for the range to plink with using reloads - and less so for "tactical" uses ...

... But my issue has always been the availability of reasonably-priced reliable magazines... which is pretty much solved if a carbine accepts the widely available and relatively inexpensive G20 mags.

Last edited by agtman; 12-28-2010 at 18:40..
Old 12-28-2010, 14:58   #16
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Olympic Arms 10mm AR-15 carbine:
The 10 Ring

Flawless and fully customizable
Beautiful piece of awesome there, Duncan.

Still, I'd like to know about the mags ... What does the lower take? "Stick-type"? Or have the well-internals been mod-ed to accept G20 mags?

Regardless of type, how's the feed-reliability and what's the round count up to?

Old 12-28-2010, 15:19   #17
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

My Oly requires modified stick mags.
PITA.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 16:36   #18
glock20c10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
I would speculate by looking at it that this might be a blowback-operated carbine?

I'd be leery of trying the DoubleTap stuff for fear that pressures might still be fairly high as the carbine's bolt comes out of battery....; I'd advise caution, perhaps loading only one round in initial testing, then examining the hopefully extracted case for evidence of bulging in the front of the casing, which would indicate still high pressures as the case is being extracted....

As one can never have enough ammo in a carbine, you might want to consider a few Arredondo extensions that make the mags 20 rounders; I have used them in my GLock 20, and they have been flawless...

I wonder if the Kriss +15 extension for GLock 21 mags would also work to provide perhaps 35-40 round capacity for the Glock 20 mags?

Good luck with it Sir!
It seems the Arredondo extensions are only made for the G17, G22, G34, and G35. Also found out these kits will not work with 10 round magazines, or with magazines for compact or subcompact model Glocks.

And from what I've read, the Kriss +15 extensions are not reliable.

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 16:38   #19
glock20c10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadslinger13 View Post

I was thinking the same thing while reading the thread before even getting to your post.

But, to each there own.

Good Shooting,
Craig

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 17:37   #20
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Guys, I don't mean to got too far off OT but while we are discussing 10mm carbines, I like Feather's setup for a down and dirty trunk gun especially for LEA with Glock 20s as long as it has a 16" barrel.

Onto 10mm 16" AR-15 carbines:

I love the AR-15 platform. Olympic Arms has been making blowback pistol caliber AR-15s for maybe 18 years.

The one pictured above is my 10mm carbine with a 16" barrel. Has a YHM customizable free float tube for greater accuracy. Has a flip up emergency front and rear sights and an EoTech 512 red dot scope and a Magpul telescoping stock. And a extra heavy pistol buffer and Wolff extra power springs to save the upper receiver and bolt.

With my AR setup, I can also make it a serious hunting rig by adding a 3x9 scope on my A3 flattop or a fixed stock or stock weights for more stability. That is the advantage over all of these other 10mm carbines.

Oly uses standard AR-15 lowers. They drill a few small holes in the upper and add a spring ejector into the middle of the upper.

I have about 1,300 round through it now. Some Norma level rounds and some moderate reloads. Not one commercial round through it yet.

It is my most versatile pistol cal carbine as I can load 135 to 200 grainers with fast to slow rifle powders. If you reload, you can take a 165/180 grain FMJ flatpoint, load the new 10mm case with slow pistol powder like HS-6, Longshot or Blue Dot and get a round that is accurate and flat shooting out to what 120-140 yards. It's the only pistol caliber you can do that with other than say 44 mag. Otherwise, you're right .223. 308, or better yet 3006 is my first choice.

But the key is if you have 10mm or 40sw platforms in pistols, why not add a 10mm carbine to compliment from a reloading standpoint?

As to magazines, they are about a year post introduction of their own polymer pistol caliber magazines in 10mm, 45 acp, 9mm, and 40SW. They cost about $45 but are worth it as you eliminate mag blocks.

The 10 Ring

I'm running my 45 acp Uzi mags modified by Oly for 10mm right now. I have several and they feed 10mm reliably and why ditch $100 mags for the new ones unless they start failing. But I have one of Oly's new 9mm and 45 acp mags for my other AR setups. Best made polymer magazines I have ever seen.

If you are a 10mm shooter, I recommend one of these for the stable.

It's uses - home self defense, medium target shooting out to 150 yards for LEA especially, deer/hog/javelina hunting.

Very fun to shoot

Now that I've got you all going, I'm consider a CDE or a Megastar in 10mm for my collection.

Last edited by duncan; 12-28-2010 at 17:49..
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote