Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:34   #1
jack76590

Current average number of shots fired by good guys

I remember the old stats of something like of 2-3 shots fired in average encounter. Even back then people were concerned theirs will not be an "average encounter" and more rounds might be required.

My question is, has the average number of shots fired per encounter by the good guys, police and civilians, changed over say the past one or two decades? If so by how much? Assuming there are some statistics.

Really trying to get a handle on whether the nature of violent encounters have changed, such as, more attacks by multiple bad guys than in the past or if bad guys are now using tactics, such as, movement and cover, that require the good guys to fire more shots. Or are good guys firing more shots simply because they now have larger capacity semi autos rather than wheel guns or semi autos with limited mag capacity.

So I guess my question involves both statistics and some informed analysis of the statistics available. Thanks.
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:31   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

There's no national data base for all police shootings, let alone those involving armed citizens. It's generally well above 2.3 shots, though.

You've articulated very well the reasons why, today, more ammo is likely to be needed than 50 years ago, once the shooting starts.

For longer than I've been alive, the national standard for cops has been a fully loaded gun and two full reloads on the person when in uniform. When I started, that was six in the service revolver and twelve more cartridges on the belt in loops or pouches. Today, with autos, that same standard gives you 16 rounds in, say, a department issue Glock 22 and another 30 on the belt, and I don't hear any cops complaining about having to carry too much ammo. You'll be facing the same people they will, and likely without backup personnel on your side. Carrying spare ammo seems to be simply common sense.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote