Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:06   #1
Bullfighter

Reloaded Ammunition

OK, I've been watching for this question to come up and it hasn't that I know of so I'm going to ask it (I'm sure you know what's coming).

What is the opinion on using reloaded ammunition if used in a defensive shooting? I've read articles in which the authors report no known case law indicating one should not carry their own made ammo, yet the good ol' internet is full of the "a prosecutor will make you out to be a nut job who made this ammo specifically to find someone to kill with it" people.

What's your opinion on the subject?

While I'm at it, I echo the sentiments others have stated thanking you for taking your time to be involved here! It's pretty cool that someone with the credentials you hold will answer these questions. We appreciate it!
Bullfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:58   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Bullfighter, this is one of the more contentious issues you'll find on Glock Talk, perhaps second only to "ballistic pressure wave" threads. Since the GATE section requires fairly short answers, the first thing I'll do is refer you to the search function, which will bring you to many long discussions on this topic here at Glock Talk.

For a short answer, the point you bring up is one I first saw in State of NH v. Sgt. James Kennedy back in the '70s. Kennedy ultimately won, but it was an ordeal he shouldn't have had to go through.

The point you mention, though, is not the main reason I recommend against handloads for self-defense. The main reason is that you're unlikely to be able to get gunshot residue testing to confirm your account of the distance involved in the shooting, into evidence. That's because it requires the court to take your word, whether in the form of your loading records or otherwise, as to what was in the gun. When you are the accused, the court won't be taking your word for anything. The "canary in the mineshaft" case on this was State of NJ v. Daniel Bias. Since then, in many years of hot debate on this in the gun forums, NO ONE has been able to cite a case where a court DID take the shooter's word or records on this. (While Bias was not a self-defense shooting, that doesn't matter; rules of evidence apply no matter what the defense's "theory of the case" may be.)

There are other issues, but the ones above are enough for me to recommend reloaded ammo for training, hunting, competition, etc. but not for defensive use.

Cordially,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 21:05   #3
Bullfighter

I just got time to sit down and read about the cases you cited. I don't know how I missed your article on the Bias case, but I sure did. Thank you for this information.

For those on the fence as I am (was), take a few minutes and do a search for this case. Pretty compelling.

Thanks again!
Bullfighter is offline   Reply With Quote