SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-22-2010, 16:53   #1
jdavionic
NRA Member

XS Std Dot Sights - Range Report

I recently purchased a G19. I installed the XS standard dot sights. Installation was easy. Front sight...very snug fit (which is good) and no play that I noticed. Installed with red loctite.

Rear sight installation was easy too. However I borrowed a laser bore sighter that helped with the alignment. The instructions state you may have to file to fit. However I did not have to do any filing. It fit well right out of the package. Installed with red loctite per the instructions--IMPORTANT, read the instructions - e.g., you don't use the red loctite on the set screws.

I visited the range with my oldest daughter (16 yr old) to test out the sights. I shoot competitively and was initially very frustrated. My shots were low and slightly to the left. When I shot with the gun resting on a brace, I was just low and center. Then I remembered that these are combat sights...which I knew when I bought them. The reason that I was low is because that's where I was aiming. Being slightly left was a matter of 'dotting the i' and ensuring that the front sight is centered over the vertical rear sight. It takes some getting used to. I made the adjustments and it was fine.

As I say, sight alignment takes some getting used to for me. I would repeatedly fall back into shooting low. I also found that because I am so accustomed to other more standard sights, it would take me longer to acquire the target. However this issue is simply due to me...not the sights. I simply need to learn to use them better.

Amusingly, my daughter seemed to pick them right up. In no time, she was putting all rounds on target as fast as she could pull the trigger.

In all, I like the sights. For those that have shot for a long time, these sights may take some getting used to. While I have read others saying 'these are not for competition', I mainly compete to get better at shooting what I carry. So I don't see issues with shooting matches with these sights. I expect I will not place well with them for a bit. But competition is a good way to learn quickly.

One negative that will not be overcome by practice is that even the standard dot covers smaller targets. For example, shooting a small steel plate will be challenging since you will likely not even see the plate.

Positives include - easy to install, very easy to see in the dark or low light conditions, and with practice, I expect I will eventually be able to acquire the target faster than the standard Glock sights.

Just my $0.02 worth. I hope it helps for others considering these sights.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 17:25   #2
tjpet

I've had the big/small versions on carry guns and loved them for that. For up close work when you're trying to take the whole situation in there's nothing better.

I tried a small set for competition one time and, as stated, it's tough to pick out small targets at distance.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27   #3
Glockbuster

Why are you so negative with these sights as far as placing well in competition ? Not sure what you shoot but if it is IPSC or the like I see no reason why you can“t do alpha charlies or double alpha“s, and the metals being no problem either.

I“ve only used these sights in the range with targets but not my IPSC, but I think if you have your trigger technique right the sights will be no problem.

Unless your competitive shooting involves tight groups ?
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:20   #4
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
Why are you so negative with these sights as far as placing well in competition ? Not sure what you shoot but if it is IPSC or the like I see no reason why you can“t do alpha charlies or double alpha“s, and the metals being no problem either.

I“ve only used these sights in the range with targets but not my IPSC, but I think if you have your trigger technique right the sights will be no problem.

Unless your competitive shooting involves tight groups ?
I think I left you with a false impression. Sorry about that...here's what I was trying to say.

First off, I shoot USPSA...production class. Some might try to argue these are not post sights, but I would certainly say they fall into that category and no issues there. I didn't bring it up in my OP, but someone mentioned it to me so I thought I'd bring it up.

My point in the OP was...unlike those that say "it ain't me, it's those sights", I would say the opposite "it ain't the sights, it's me". The sights are just very different for me. So I expect I won't do well in my initial matches with them until I practice with them some more & get used to them. No fault of the sights. I just need to practice.

I certainly didn't mean to imply they're no good for competition but great for self defense. For me, I compete to improve my skills in self defense shooting. I don't knock others with the "race guns". They just aren't something that I'm interested in. That's why I shoot production.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-29-2010, 15:28   #5
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

I'm usually the top "Limited" shooter at the local matches using a H&K P2000 w/Big Dot sights (I also shoot from my full CCW gear).
At one of our IDPA matches we had a target at 35 yards. I had 3 out of 3 shots in the -0 and my raw time was in the top 10%.
I regularly clean the "Texas Star" (small moving plate rack) with no problems.
If you can't make your hits with XS sights, it aint the arrow it's the Indian.

Last edited by NMGlocker; 07-29-2010 at 15:31..
NMGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 17:03   #6
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
If you can't make your hits with XS sights, it aint the arrow it's the Indian.
Agreed.

Old 07-29-2010, 19:25   #7
Glockbuster

jdavionic,

I totally understand your production shooting, but hey, that's great!! Initially I started IPSC (we don't have USPSA or IDPA here though sometimes I wish we had) with the thought of getting good at what I carried--a G22, then I longed at getting better at it and bought an STI, with Dawson red optic front and Bomar rear. I still shoot with my G22 sometimes.

In either case, I find myself taking the time to align the posts with the red dot (or in the case of your "dot the I") when the targets are small (a popper or metal plate at more than 15 yards). Other closer comstock targets are easy quick alpha hits using only the front sight if you keep your pistol close to your eyes pointed forward with trigger finger out of the guard when you move. It's very easy to focus on that dawson serration and red dot, in your case the big white dot , and the target a bit blurry in the background.

It is exactly this technique that makes it so annoying to me to have three dots like other sights do and trying to pick the center one which is the front and most important to me. Your XS sights shine in this regard.

And, whatever sights you use you'll find your trigger finger is much more of an issue in hitting these targets.
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote