Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2010, 22:28   #1
tenaciousj

Looking for defense round recommendation for full size USP 45

any specific brands, and weights i should be looking for, any that i should stay away from?

HK recommends using only brass casings no aluminum or steel, should this be followed religiously?

what is the purpose of nickel plated cases other than lookin pretty?
tenaciousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 23:53   #2
654Boomer

Greetings,

I believe that you can't go wrong with any of the "premium personal defense loads", but I will personally recommend using Speer Gold Dot 230 grain Jacketed Hollow Point ammunition, for self defense.

Nickel cases feed/eject a little easier, or so I am told. It is just nickel coated brass.

I would stay away from any steel-cased amunition.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by 654Boomer; 07-24-2010 at 23:54..
654Boomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 00:27   #3
steve1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 654Boomer View Post
Greetings,

I believe that you can't go wrong with any of the "premium personal defense loads", but I will personally recommend using Speer Gold Dot 230 grain Jacketed Hollow Point ammunition, for self defense.

Nickel cases feed/eject a little easier, or so I am told. It is just nickel coated brass.

I would stay away from any steel-cased amunition.

Just my 2 cents.
+1 i like the speer Gold Dots the best, 2nd choice would be ranger 230 grs in my USP, the pistol seems to like the 230 gr the best.

1911club#410
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52   #4
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

I will second the notion that any premium JHP made by a reputable company (Speer, Hornady, Federal, Winchester, etc.) will work fine. I like Speer Gold Dots or Cor-Bon DPX. Also like the Winchester PDX-1.

Nickel plating the brass cases does a few things. It makes the cases slightly more durable over long term use, slightly reduces friction which enhances feed reliability, and provides a more visible indicator when doing a press check especially in low light.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57   #5
Marc1017

Sorry guys, while are are going to get the job done, NOTHING beats the federal HST. Good luck finding some though.

Marc

My 2 cents

Last edited by Marc1017; 07-26-2010 at 08:00..
Marc1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 23:58   #6
glockpirate20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1017 View Post
Sorry guys, while are are going to get the job done, NOTHING beats the federal HST. Good luck finding some though.

Marc

My 2 cents
+1.

There was an article floating around somewhere on the web that discussed this very topic (45acp defense ammo)..I'll try to find it and post the link. Anyways the two rounds that were the most recommeded for personal defense were the Federal HST and the Winchester Ranger T (RA45T is the product #) with the ranger edging the HST slightly due to the HST fragmenting a little bit more. Both are sold to law enforcement only but civilians can purchase and own (its just a company rule not the law) so it can be a little harder to find. You can find both on the web with a little searching, even on Gun Broker. Both are MEAN rounds. You also cant go wrong with any of the metioned above though (Speer GD's, Win PDx1, etc).

One more thing I will quickly add...Everyone in my old dept. that opted to carry the 45 acp were issued Winchesters Ranger T +P (RA45TP). I didn't personally carry the 45, but heard from coworkers that it was a hot round compared to other factory loadings and penetrated well.

Last edited by glockpirate20; 07-30-2010 at 00:04.. Reason: Added to it
glockpirate20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:50   #7
pitt1011

I'm a big fan of the Speer Gold JHP in 230 grn or the Federal HST in the same weight. Both have fed and functioned perfectly in the pistols I've used them in.
Old 08-18-2010, 22:57   #8
umrek
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockpirate20 View Post
+1.

There was an article floating around somewhere on the web that discussed this very topic (45acp defense ammo)..I'll try to find it and post the link. Anyways the two rounds that were the most recommeded for personal defense were the Federal HST and the Winchester Ranger T (RA45T is the product #) with the ranger edging the HST slightly due to the HST fragmenting a little bit more. Both are sold to law enforcement only but civilians can purchase and own (its just a company rule not the law) so it can be a little harder to find. You can find both on the web with a little searching, even on Gun Broker. Both are MEAN rounds. You also cant go wrong with any of the metioned above though (Speer GD's, Win PDx1, etc).

One more thing I will quickly add...Everyone in my old dept. that opted to carry the 45 acp were issued Winchesters Ranger T +P (RA45TP). I didn't personally carry the 45, but heard from coworkers that it was a hot round compared to other factory loadings and penetrated well.

Rangers, Because.....
Attached Thumbnails
Heckler & Koch Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 08-18-2010, 23:21   #9
AA#5

My bedside USP 45 has Remington Golden Sabers - 230 Gr. I like the low-flash powder & the accuracy.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote