Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:49   #1
B.Reid

RCBS Big Max

Have any of you used one of these? I came across one but I have never seen one of these before. I bought a bunch of reloading stuff from a guy and this was part of the deal. Any idea of what it is worth?

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:37   #2
dudel

It's a big honker of a press. Big spade handle which is easier than the ball (a forerunner to today's roller handles). The frame is parallel to the table, so you load/remove from the front (vs the side as on most SS). LOTS of clearance. Sort of the big daddy to the Rock Chucker. It's overkill for most reloading; although it would be great for swaging. If it's in good shape (ie no rust, smooth linkage, no broken/missing parts), I suspect you could get a couple of hundred with the right party.

Here are the instructions.
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:56   #3
norton

I've never seen one of those. What years were they made?
Old 07-25-2010, 13:08   #4
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I've never seen one of those. What years were they made?
Mid to late 60's IIRC. They were expensive as all get out. The universal shell holder was the cats ***. It did unscrew and you could screw in a ram extender with a standard shell holder. There was an extension handle I'd forgotten about till I took another look at the instructions. You could put a ton of omph on the handle, which made it soooo good for swaging operations.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 16:06   #5
srd

A friend of mine has one for just what dudel said..swaging bullets. Its a monster compared to other presses. Very heavy duty and well made. There is a lot of cast iron in that unit !
srd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 16:47   #6
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Mid to late 60's IIRC. They were expensive as all get out. The universal shell holder was the cats ***. It did unscrew and you could screw in a ram extender with a standard shell holder. There was an extension handle I'd forgotten about till I took another look at the instructions. You could put a ton of omph on the handle, which made it soooo good for swaging operations.
They were made in the 80's from what I have been able to find out. It is in good shape I have the extended handle, and I plan to sell it. It is just more than I need. It is a heck of a press the ram is at least two inch in diameter.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!

Last edited by B.Reid; 07-25-2010 at 17:49..
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:20   #7
rg1

I've had one since the early 80's. A great heavy duty press. Just an educated guess as to the value. If it is in decent condition and has all the parts I'd say $250-$300. It should have the automatic shellholder, regular shellholder, a ram prime unit with both large and small punches plus a punch holder that snaps in the shellholder and holds the punches, and a little plastic cup that snaps onto the bottom of the ram to catch spent primers. This little plastic cup didn't hold up to well and often cracks and it wouldn't be a biggie if it were missing or damaged. It also had a tool to tighten or remove the auto and standard shellholders that screw into the top of the ram. This press is still in demand and goes for premium prices. It wasn't cheap back in the day either. With special threaded 50 BMG dies it can be used for a 50 BMG press. I think it has 1 3/8 threads with the die bushing removed?? Also a great press for swaging bullets, or any other heavy duty operation. It has a long handle travel, a 4" plus opening between shellholder and bottom of die holding bushing, but I've reloaded many rounds from .380 to 300 Wea Magnum on it. I've got other presses on my bench now but still use the Big Max a lot. It has good feel and sensitivity even for a big press. Don't sell it too cheap.

Last edited by rg1; 07-26-2010 at 01:31..
rg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 14:14   #8
johnjohn

Keep that thing it'll do anything you want and more.Probably a lot better workmanship than anything built nowadays.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 14:22   #9
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I'd like to have it in the event I ever have the need to load up a few concealed carry artillery rounds. I wonder if you can mount a 50 pound capacity powder measure to it?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:33   #10
GLShooter

Send a message via AIM to GLShooter
I've got one of those from the early 80's. It only has one purpose in life and that is to swage 223 cases up to make wildcat 9 MM rounds for my 9 MM American. You know the one, 90 grain bullets at 2000 fps out of a 5" 1911.

Greg