Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-21-2010, 22:06   #1
Glock4ever84

Thinking about getting a HK Mk. 23 .45 ACP and would like thoughts on it..

I am really interested in the HK Mk. 23 and would just like to know people that have one or shot one how it shoots and the overall grip size. I can comfortably grip a Glock 21 and was wondering if the grip on the HK Mk. 23 is slimmer or fatter than the one of the Glock 21. I know that they are very reliable and very accurate and would like to get one of these instead of a high end 1911.
Glock4ever84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 23:03   #2
majette

if you look at a desert eagle the size and dimensions are somewhat similar. considerably larger than a glock or 1911. if you want something for carry look at a hk45.

Last edited by majette; 06-21-2010 at 23:05..
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:14   #3
gtmtnbiker98

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
if you look at a desert eagle the size and dimensions are somewhat similar. considerably larger than a glock or 1911. if you want something for carry look at a hk45.
What he said.
gtmtnbiker98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 13:05   #4
F-Trooper05

The biggest complaint amongst SOCOM operators is that it's too big. A lot of units have actually switched to smaller HK's as a result. The SEALs actually just recently started using the HK45C. Other than that, it's a great gun.
F-Trooper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 17:17   #5
HK Dan

I've got one. The grip is identical to a USP45 and, in fact, a USP40 except at the thickest point. There it is 1/8" fatter in circumference.

Is it big? Yep. In every dimension it matches a Desert Eagle, but it's dramatically lighter. It corners about as well as my USPs. Size does not equal weight in this case, it's very effective in target transitions compared to USPs or even GLOCKs.

The recoil system makes even +P ammo easy to shoot. The recoil impulse is less than with my G21SF and certainly less than with a 1911. It is surgically accurate. Breaking clay pigeons on the berm at 100 yards is easy if you do your part--no kidding.

Downside--it ain't no carry gun. Unless you have a driving need to be Bruce Willis in "Tears of the Sun" a USP45 will do everything that the Mark 23 will do, and a G21 will come close. A USP Tactical (still no carry gun) will be an adequate substitute for anything the Mark 23 can do.

I'm a collector, and I'm glad that I bought the Mark 23. It's the only gun I own that isn't practical in any way, that I can't carry and wouldn't dream of using defensively (I don't need it going into an evidence locker). Despite all that? Yep--I'll frame it one day. My advice is to buy a USP45, a G21, a bunch of ammo, and a Mark 23 airsoft gun...LOL
Old 06-22-2010, 18:32   #6
shuck99

I have medium size hands, I bought a regular G21 once and ended up selling it because it was just a tad to big for me to shoot accuratly. Saying that I held a HK Mark 23 at a local gunshop of mine and to my surprise that even though its big my finger could reach the trigger very well, well enough that if I had the money today I would order one in a heart beat. They do make some holsters that fit it, mostly a drop leg ones. I think if you can afford one and plan to shoot it a lot get one. Otherwise you could go the opposite way and get an HK usp compact tactical in 45 and screw on a flash hider on it. Also I believe you can have HK install a match trigger on a compact.

Last edited by shuck99; 06-22-2010 at 18:33..
shuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 18:46   #7
Glock4ever84

Thanks guys for all of your quick and informative responses. I was looking to get it as just a toy to take out for fun, but from what you guys have said I will look into a USP45 since it has more real world applications. I will let you guys know what I decide.
Glock4ever84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 19:55   #8
majette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock4ever84 View Post
Thanks guys for all of your quick and informative responses. I was looking to get it as just a toy to take out for fun, but from what you guys have said I will look into a USP45 since it has more real world applications. I will let you guys know what I decide.
look at the newer hk45 as well; more ergonomic and has a standard picatinny rail. here is a current torture test:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/3196
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 21:03   #9
Ruggles

Yeah that is one giant handgun, I think it would make me feel "inadequate" in my normal size hands if you know what I mean!
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 18:06   #10
Liff

I have one. I love it. However, if I didn't also have the KAC can, it would just be a big 45. With the can, it is wonderful. Without, and I don't see the point.
Liff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:57   #11
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Quote:
Good decision, with the $ you save you can get a case of ammo and other accessories. I see your in a NFA friendly state, have you ever considered buying a HK USP Tactical 45 and a suppressor? Its easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Facebook Fanpage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors

Fireman1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:15   #12
Chonny

There has been one in a local shop for seven years. I think its 1785 bucks.
Old 07-05-2010, 21:30   #13
bac1023

I like shooting mine quite a bit.

Its a bit of a novelty item, but also a high quality, accurate pistol.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 00:31   #14
George Helser

The HK Mk23 SOCOM is the world’s first offensive handgun, designed from the start for suppressed shooting. It is incredibly accurate out of the box and designed for a long life with a 1 pound KAC suppressor on the end of the barrel. The real trick is that the 1 pound stainless steel KAC suppressor sticking out of the end of the barrel is a MASSIVE tremor damper. If you think it is accurate without a suppressor, the 1 pound can will cut your group size by 50%!

The KAC can works as advertised. From the shooter side all you hear is action clatter and the bullet hitting the target. From the target side, the 230 gr 935 fps bullet sounds like a pellet rifle.

I agree with Liff. Why own a Mk23 unless you buy it with the KAC can it was meant for? Without the suppressor, it is just a big accurate pistol.

Regards,
George
George Helser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 00:52   #15
OldArcher
Gospel Carrier

Hmmmm...

I've shot one, was impressed with accuracy, but felt like it needed to be a crew manned weapon. At that time, I went back to my 1911s, happy not to have to shell-out that much money, for a nonstandard .45acp semi-automatic.

For today's price, I'd rather buy more Glock 21s- around three of 'em, around here. Or, more G30s, or maybe some G36s...

What was it that Clint Smith said? "The pistol is what you use, to get back to the rifle or shotgun, you shouldn't have put down in the first place."

My G21 and G30 have, like the HK MK23, threaded barrels. For a platform to use my boosted Blackside, I don't need to expend that much money, for shots I'm not gonna need beyond 25 yards- or less... Since most reported shootings are 7 yards or less for civilians, I don't "need" to hit targets at 100 yards with a pistol. At least, I don't think I will...

For that much money, get a G21, a Form 4 and $200, an LWD threaded barrel, and a boosted Gemtech .45acp Blackside suppressor.

Some folks like to spend money on cars that they either can't drive to maximum capability/speed- legally, or can't cash the checks their bodies and experience can't pay. Same with weapons... My pistols have a purpose. They can be carried concealed. As much as I love my Glocks, I can always get more.

OldArcher, out...
"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.

Last edited by OldArcher; 07-06-2010 at 00:55.. Reason: clarity
OldArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 20:49   #16
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArcher View Post
I've shot one, was impressed with accuracy, but felt like it needed to be a crew manned weapon. At that time, I went back to my 1911s, happy not to have to shell-out that much money, for a nonstandard .45acp semi-automatic.

For today's price, I'd rather buy more Glock 21s- around three of 'em, around here. Or, more G30s, or maybe some G36s...

What was it that Clint Smith said? "The pistol is what you use, to get back to the rifle or shotgun, you shouldn't have put down in the first place."

My G21 and G30 have, like the HK MK23, threaded barrels. For a platform to use my boosted Blackside, I don't need to expend that much money, for shots I'm not gonna need beyond 25 yards- or less... Since most reported shootings are 7 yards or less for civilians, I don't "need" to hit targets at 100 yards with a pistol. At least, I don't think I will...

For that much money, get a G21, a Form 4 and $200, an LWD threaded barrel, and a boosted Gemtech .45acp Blackside suppressor.

Some folks like to spend money on cars that they either can't drive to maximum capability/speed- legally, or can't cash the checks their bodies and experience can't pay. Same with weapons... My pistols have a purpose. They can be carried concealed. As much as I love my Glocks, I can always get more.

OldArcher, out...
Sorry, but I'd take the Mark 23 over three G21s any day.

What do you need with three G21s anyway?
Old 07-06-2010, 21:41   #17
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*

You might also look into the Hk USP45Tactical..
I had one several years ago & miss it dearly, Very accurate..
Also I Paid $600 for it..
Glock 17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 19:36   #18
Aceman

Let's don't just gloss over the total man points just for having that monster in the first place! Compensating for something? Who cares! It is an ULTIMATE .45.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 18:32   #19
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Let's don't just gloss over the total man points just for having that monster in the first place! Compensating for something? Who cares! It is an ULTIMATE .45.

It is a cool gun.

Heckler & Koch Forum
Old 07-12-2010, 12:35   #20
speedoglock

Quote:
I am really interested in the HK Mk. 23 and would just like to know people that have one or shot one how it shoots and the overall grip size. I can comfortably grip a Glock 21 and was wondering if the grip on the HK Mk. 23 is slimmer or fatter than the one of the Glock 21. I know that they are very reliable and very accurate and would like to get one of these instead of a high end 1911.
HK MK23 is a great gun aside from the history behind it. It's a classic gun that will increase value and needs to be put in your collection. It has exceptional performance. You will love it when you have it.

Heckler & Koch Forum

Last edited by speedoglock; 07-12-2010 at 12:36..
speedoglock is offline   Reply With Quote