SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:34   #1
TORCHRIDER
Wake Up America

Question for Mas regarding 9mm vs. other calibers

Mas, first let me say Thank You! I have learned so much from your books. I hope one day to attend one of your courses as well.

Here is my question:

I currently own and carry a G19 loaded with Corbon 115gr. +P+. They move out at almost 1300FPS over my chronograph. I am getting very proficient and accurate with the 9mm. After reading some of your books, I get the feeling that I would be better armed with a .40 or .357 Sig, assuming I learn to shoot it as well as the 9mm.

In your opinion, would it be worth the extra gun $$, practice time, reloading equip., etc. to switch from a 9mm to a .357/125Gr. or .40/135gr. or 165Gr.? Is the additional stopping power (assuming I place the shots correctly) worth the additional expenditures?

I recall you writing about .40 and .357 rounds immediately stopping a bad guy due to wound channel and without directly hitting a vital area.

Thanks for your time.

Dave
"Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14
TORCHRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 23:19   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I think a good hot load like you're using in the 9mm is adequate. Each of the calibers has a balance of pros and cons to recommend it. In cold climates, I'm still partial to the .45 ACP because it gives you a big bullet even if heavy clothing plugs the hollow point enough to keep it from expanding. I do like the .357 SIG, but I'd be perfectly comfortable with what you carry.

All subjective opinion, of course...

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 20:36   #3
TORCHRIDER
Wake Up America

Thanks Mas. Somehow I missed your reply. Well given that I live in the great state of Texas, heavy clothing isn't usually much of a concern except a month or two out of the year. And I happen to have a couple .45's sitting around as well. Thanks for your opinion! Dave
"Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14
TORCHRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote